A new shift concept for the engineers....

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
On the note of chains and gracefully moving around sprockets. The SBP shift kit has proven what a standard derailleur bike chain can do!
Me thinks it would be easier to adapt a single speed bike to use a multi-speed rear wheel and a SBP shift kit.

nhssdf4

Jun 21, 2010
Ruston, LA
I am really looking forward to this post.. i thought of a similar idea but the only problem that i saw with it was the fact that your gears are always moving if you are moving.. Therefore, when trying to shift upwards, you have a small gap where your chain is not on either gear you may encounter a lurch or your chain being broken in two. I have had a 410 chain break on me several times due to alignment issues and chain tensioner problems. So now i run with no tensioner and its never been better.. And I am sure they have left side deraillures, you just have to know where to look. I want to see this work.. Keep us posted!
-Griff
xct2

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
These engines are clutched, so why not use that when shifting, I have to on a Motorcycle or car. So that the engine is not driving the gear shift, but the rotation of the rear gear is ....

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Good point, ferball. A clutch in the car is no big deal, and careful shifting with the bike, clutch depressed, easing it back up to speed... works for me. As has been said, I want to see this happen.
SB

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
shifting to me is the major point. i'd want gears for more than just hill climbing. i'm all about speed, yet speed in a safe way. i've got a few concepts of my own, but most of them rely on outdated ideas and obsolete products used in the past.

for instance, the Browning bicycle transmission: The Browning Automatic Bicycle Transmission

i have 2 of the 2 speed BMX ones sitting here, wondering if i could adapt one to a rear wheel sprocket.

i also have something else that's top secret till i build a test bike which is more like an actual, internal 3 speed transmission.

lack of funds is all that keeps me from building up the bikes.

Attachments

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
shifting to me is the major point. i'd want gears for more than just hill climbing. i'm all about speed, yet speed in a safe way. i've got a few concepts of my own, but most of them rely on outdated ideas and obsolete products used in the past.

for instance, the Browning bicycle transmission: The Browning Automatic Bicycle Transmission

i have 2 of the 2 speed BMX ones sitting here, wondering if i could adapt one to a rear wheel sprocket.

i also have something else that's top secret till i build a test bike which is more like an actual, internal 3 speed transmission.

lack of funds is all that keeps me from building up the bikes.
Cool stuff Baird!!!

Jim

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Those Browning guys stole my idea!!!
Just kidding. I don't understand half of it, but I have a good idea it requires deeper pockets than mine to have one. It does show what is possible.
I hope Jim can come up with a working model that is simple, requires clutch disengagement, allows for a single speed coaster brake axle and if it also requires a pull start, that's fine with me. And is something I can afford to buy. Just two speeds allowing for getting up hills without pedaling til my pants catch on fire or walking the bike would be awesome. Ferball mentioned older four wheel drive vehicles where you had to manually change the lockouts... brutal and inelegant compared to ****ing in and out of 4 wheel drive on the fly, but that's OK. If we can have four wheel drive and all we can afford is an older truck with lockouts, it still beats just rear wheel drive. Same with the bike shifter. If it just works and is affordable that would be wonderful.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Those Browning guys stole my idea!!!
Just kidding. I don't understand half of it, but I have a good idea it requires deeper pockets than mine to have one. It does show what is possible.
I hope Jim can come up with a working model that is simple, requires clutch disengagement, allows for a single speed coaster brake axle and if it also requires a pull start, that's fine with me. And is something I can afford to buy. Just two speeds allowing for getting up hills without pedaling til my pants catch on fire or walking the bike would be awesome. Ferball mentioned older four wheel drive vehicles where you had to manually change the lockouts... brutal and inelegant compared to ****ing in and out of 4 wheel drive on the fly, but that's OK. If we can have four wheel drive and all we can afford is an older truck with lockouts, it still beats just rear wheel drive. Same with the bike shifter. If it just works and is affordable that would be wonderful.
SB
Not that I really mind, but why was "shift" blanked out of the above post? Does shift have a hidden dirty meaning? Is it an underground cuss word? Inquiring minds want to know. "Shift it, buddy! Oh go shift! Shift up! (I'm practicing possible uses for this word. If i knew what it meant besides changing gears, that would help. it isn't easy being hip.)
SB

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol - Judging by the fact there's 4 stars instead of 5, methinks ya made an unfortunate typo is all ;)

shifting... shiftless... shifter... shifty o.o

edit: yuppers, musta been all that was :D

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Seems to me it would easier to just device a 3-speed hub design for the motor drive sprocket that would gear it say 1/2 a tooth either way internally.
You would need a modified clutch cover but the sprockets and chain themselves would remain aligned.

And for the 'dreaded tensioner problem', you almost Never Need a Drive Chain Tensioner!.

And for 410H Z chain I'm sold.
The regular Z chain my Giant 3-speed shifter came stock with and the jackshaft I put on broke it after about 100 miles.
It now sports the heavy duty 410H and no problems.

Just more ideas to keep a coaster pristine but add gears to the second drive chain ;-}

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
The stacked sprocket was my first idea when I got into this hobby.
Then I found out nobody made one.

Then I thought A nuvinci hub or a internal 3 speed shfter hub would be great if it would work on the left side.

Seems like none do, since ALL bicycles are right side drive... Unless you guys know of any...

Lets get a group buy for a left side HD internal shifter hub going, or tell fallbrook to mae a left side nuvinci...

..That's rated at 15hp..

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Set up a petition I'll log in and beg them. Where do we start! Seriously!!!!!!!!!!!

If Fallbrook even had a clue about whut they were missing?

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
All you need to do is weigh the cost/benefit and logic of that first.
A $150 jackshaft shift kit and 1 drive chain with any geared bike vs. 2 chains and a mortified left hub assembly.

I am all into innovation, and no offense intended to any idea, all I do is share my thoughts on them with a bit of logic which is what forums are for right?

Other than something cheap and easy on the motor if you really want gears AND run two chains with gears on the motor side is...

All I will say is weigh the benefit of a jackshaft and new rear hub shifter single chain cost/benefit against the basic cost/benefit of adding gears to a second chain new left side drive hub or motor that doesn't even exist.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Before nixing the idea why not wait to see what Jim comes up with? If it works it doesn't have to be the ultimate shifter or as good as an SBP kit with gears. We were talking in the first place about a coaster brake wheel, one speed without having to change the hub. Setting up an SBP kit on an old cruiser is neither cheap nor easy. For a mountain bike with derailleur it is awesome and cost effective. In a way it is trying to compare apples to oranges as the application would be different on a vintage cruiser. How can cost be compared when it hasn't been made yet? I'm going to remain hopeful, will wait and see. Options are good. If nobody tries something new then how can motorbicycling move forward into better and safer machines?
SB

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Before nixing the idea why not wait to see what Jim comes up with? If it works it doesn't have to be the ultimate shifter or as good as an SBP kit with gears. We were talking in the first place about a coaster brake wheel, one speed without having to change the hub. Setting up an SBP kit on an old cruiser is neither cheap nor easy. For a mountain bike with derailleur it is awesome and cost effective. In a way it is trying to compare apples to oranges as the application would be different on a vintage cruiser. How can cost be compared when it hasn't been made yet? I'm going to remain hopeful, will wait and see. Options are good. If nobody tries something new then how can motorbicycling move forward into better and safer machines?
SB
Well said SB:

It can't hurt to try.

Jim