my first 5 mils and clutch problem LOL with pics

GoldenMotor.com

Reel Adventure

Jul 1, 2009
wilmington nc
Got Barrons board tracker running today. Nice bike from a great guy. UPS damaged it during shipping but thats another story and has a happy ending in sight I hope.

Anyways, rode it for abour 5 miles . Rode fine, while underway at about 20 mph on a long stretch it seemed like the clutch just gave out, motor still ran fine, but no go.

Took off the clutch cover and noticed 2 loose metal pieces in case. Here they are in middle of plate after being removed.

Had a little clutch dust. Is this normal, motor is pretty new. Less than 20 miles im sure.

The front gear spins freely with the cluch lever pulled in or left out. Seems like it is not engaging the shaft to turn over the motor, it also sounds pretty bad. When I use a screw driver to turn over the small sproket shaft there is plenty of compression.

Any ideas? I have had plenty of manual shift cars and motorcycles so Im pretty easy on the clutch's.

Last edited:

Reel Adventure

Jul 1, 2009
wilmington nc
Thanks, well I tried to swap out this motor for another brand new 66cc one I have and it mounts just a bit different. It is the SD Stinger so I re installed the one that came with it.

Im not going to take it apart any further as it is beyond my mechanical ability. This motor should be pretty new so it needs to be replaced. And to top it off as I was re installing the exhaust pipe it seems one of the screws stripped. Barely even had it much more than hand tight. Not my day I guess.

Ill pm Barron to see if he has the info to return it for another. Im pretty sure it came from Zoom.

It was a fun 5 miles! Heck if I would have known this I would have hammered it wide open the whole time. I held it wide open for about 25 seconds untill it reached top speed one time and cruised the rest of the time. My GPS on my I phone said 50 mph but I dont think that is correct!

Last edited:

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
If you pull that small gear off and reinsert that woodfuff key it will operate fine. I'm concerned that there are two of them. That motor has less than 90 minutes run time on it.

That small gear is held in place with that key. I'm not sure if you'll need a removal tool or not. Loosen that standard screw, remove gear, set the key in the slot and reinstall the gear and retaining screw.

http://motorbicycling.com/f39/motor-bicycle-clutch-301.html

Last edited:

Reel Adventure

Jul 1, 2009
wilmington nc
If you pull that small gear off and reinsert that woodfuff key it will operate fine. I'm concerned that there are two of them. That motor has less than 90 minutes run time on it.

That small gear is held in place with that key. I'm not sure if you'll need a removal tool or not. Loosen that standard screw, remove gear, set the key in the slot and reinstall the gear and retaining screw.

http://motorbicycling.com/f39/motor-bicycle-clutch-301.html
Hmm, sounds pretty ez, but now I got exaust stud problem. Might be able to re thread.

I am thinking if they came out once they will do so again. They are of different thickness wich seems odd.

Anyways is this the standard screw I should loosen?(below) If so how do I get it loose?

markeatmark

Jun 17, 2009
jacksonville NC
that sucks keep us posted so we can learn all the problems with these kits. i'd like to see the rest of your bike. how many teeth on that chain ring?

Reel Adventure

Jul 1, 2009
wilmington nc
That's it.
Got it back in. Dang...I wonder how it came out in the first place and if it will do it again. I wonder why I had 2 in there and only room for one!

Ill give it a ride again tomorrow. Now anyone got any ideas on how to fix a stripped out exaust mount? I barely had it tight when I felt it go!

Thanks for the help everyone!

unior

Jun 18, 2009
Lancaster, PA
Just replace the stud with another 6x1.0 mm stud. You just need to find one somewhere. A proper length 6x1.00 mm bolt could work also but a stud would be preferred.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Got it back in. Dang...I wonder how it came out in the first place and if it will do it again. I wonder why I had 2 in there and only room for one!

Thanks for the help everyone!
My guess would be that after the person that installs that gear dropped the second key and lost it behind the main gear they got yelled at by the line supervisor for holding up production so they just slammed the gear on, tightened the screw and sent it to the next station.

Reel Adventure

Jul 1, 2009
wilmington nc
Ok, Heli coiled the exhaust, worked great. Then the chain came apart at the master link. Got another master link re adjusted chain from where I screwed with it and all is fine there. Rode about 1.5 miles CLOSE to the house and the *&^* wooddruf key comes out again. It is comming out of the back of the small gear. End of story on this thread. Im going to make a new topic specifically on the wood key and a possible perm fix I think might work.

Thanks again for the helpful responses.