Front Fork Replacement

GoldenMotor.com

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
I came upon another bike that had front suspension, but the frame was too small for a motor to be mounted. And I don't (at the moment) want to make it fit. I tried to straight swap out the front forks of my MB with the suspension forks, and quickly found out the incompatibility factor. The suspension forks had a shorter thread pipe and I couldn't get them to attach.

Suggestions? Would replacing my front forks with suspension forks even be worth with?

Attachments

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL
I was lucky and had a few parts bikes around with susp. forks.Im not sure how to modify the forks you have.I get most of my stuff from the flea market.You can check on craigslist for a cheap front susp. bike,newspaper, etc.Just make sure the head tube measurements are the same.Or get one from the local bike shop.Just depends on how much money you want to spend.Dont forget e-bay also. David

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I consider a suspension fork to be a vital safety item on older roads and in construction areas. It makes it easier to "hang on" to the bars when you hit that huge bump.
I bought a few threaded forks before I found one that would fit well. Just don't spend too much when you buy one. Some forks, like the older Marzocchis have a replaceable steering tube (its held in place by a couple of allen bolts). I was able to order steering tubes of different lengths on EBay.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I had exactly the same problem when I went to add a suspension fork to the old (orange) cruiser bike that I shipped to Arizona. The diameter was the same but was about 1/2 inch short of working. Luckily the way the fork was made I was able to chuck it up in the lathe, turn it back that 1/2" and it worked perfect. You will have to watch for a fork that the neck is the right lenght and diameter as there are many different sizes.
In answer to your question, yes the two bikes I have with the front suspension forks take the bumps alot better.

John

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
my neighbor has a stick welder. he's going to help me lengthen the fork pike. He suggested we cut it, insert a smaller diameter pipe inside the cut fork pipe and weld it back together at the desired length. since i won't lose anything from trying, we are going to go ahead with it tomorrow. i'll take lots of pics of the process.

on a side note, i called the local bike shop and asked about just getting some front suspension forks. the guy said they started at $200 and all he head next was me laughing as i hung up the phone on him.

so, i have these old forks...is there anyway to lube them or make them more 'shock absorbent'?

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
well, my neighbor and I did it but I forgot to take the before and during pictures...All i have is the after, and thats not that exciting. I will say that front suspension makes a TON of difference.

since the fork pipe with the threads wasn't long enough, we had to cut the pipe, and insert an extension inside it. my neighbor has a stick welder. after welding and grinding smooth again, the length was perfect.

you might also notice that these new front forks also have better brakes.

Attachments

Last edited: