New to Motorized Bikes, Need Some Advice

GoldenMotor.com

twip52

Mar 31, 2009
connecticut
Hello everyone.

This is my first post on the Forum here. I'm looking to get a kit for one of my bikes and I wanted some expert advice. First off, I have two bikes, and I dont really know which one to use. The first is a pretty new Hardrock Specialized mountain bike, and the other is a Trek Singletrack which is pretty old but still a good bike. Basically what I need to know is which bike would be better given the dimensions of their frames (dimensions on pictures), as well as what would be the optimal motor for each, rear mounted or in frame. I was leaning towards the hardrock because its new and because it has shocks which would help for smooth riding, but I thought that the frame might be too small to fit a motor in it.

I also had a question regarding laws. I checked my state's DMV laws and they said the motor had to be under 50cc to be considered a motor assisted bike. For those of you with experience, would a 50cc motor be enough to get a bike like the hardrock up to speed?

I also thought that maybe I should go for an 80cc motor because I dont see how anyone would know the difference between a 50 or an 80 and I probably wouldnt be bothered about it

Thanks for any help you can provide
Tom

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm with Fairracing,
Unless you're thinking of going with a rack mount or friction drive, the Trek would be a much better choice. In fact, I don't think you'd be able to get a in-frame 2 stroke on the Hardrock without some major surgery and you probably don't want to approach that bike with a hacksaw or cutting torch. I like the looks of the Trek better too. It will make a good looking motorbike. Just my opinion however. Now with that said, here's an idea: Put a 2 stroke on the Trek and then buy a rack mount Titan from Dax for the Hardrock...best of both worlds.
Tom

Last edited:

jvirginillo

Jul 21, 2008
I agree with the others especially for a first build the Trek is easiest. I used a similar bike for my first build and will continue to twaek it until I feel comfortable enough to complete the OCC Chopper I picked up this past weekend for $50!!!

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
Welcome to the forum twip. Those are both good looking bike there but as others hav said defnitly use the TREK. I would reccomend for your 1st build use a 48cc two stroke frame mounted engine.
These engines are fairly powerful and are very reliable.
the 48cc engine are a little bit better at top speed but the 80cc have more power downlow. ( just my experiance)

Good luck with ur build and any questions dont hassel to ask.

KonaTitanMan

Nov 23, 2008
Scarborough, ME
Just something to consider, too, is that whichever kit you go with will add weight to your bike and, depending on whether it is a Frame-mount or Rack-mount will mean a big difference in how your bike will feel. I LOVE my Titan but it did take some getting used to. I wouldn't have it any other way but perhaps you will feel different?

KonaTitanMan

Nov 23, 2008
Scarborough, ME
Oh, and you may also want to get to know your local laws. Example: Here in Maine a motorized bike with an engine of 50cc+ requires a registration and a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license. If you get stopped by an astute cop he may miss the engine size but if he doesn't you can be arrested! For me, it wouldn't be worth the risk and I've found that my 49.4cc Titan climbs just fine.

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
Hello and welcome! My first bike build has a 49cc on a single speed cruiser style bicycle. This bike will top out at 29 MPH on a flat street. And this is with a 44 tooth sprocket. When I ride I am averaging 20-25 MPH with ease. To me this speed is okay for a bicycle. In our town the law also states 50cc or less. I have yet to be questioned either way.