The Iron Horse is back again.

GoldenMotor.com

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Welcome to Memphis...
LOL

My favorite thing about these bikes is how cheap it actually is to get one rolling when something breaks. The bike that got me started with these things last year was just a bunch of parts in a box that had been stored outside for some unknown period of time. Missing parts, broken parts, and me not knowing what I was looking at, and still managed to get it running for like $15 some duct tape and bailing wire (literally!). If you want to be a cheapskate you can build a bike for very little, and with a little elbow grease and creativity you can keep it going for practically nothing. I can't even register my truck for what it costs to build from scratch. Looks like that machine doesn't owe you a dime!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Slowly coming back to life...

I figure I will make a plate to cover the mag area to keep it a little bit cleaner. I'll bolt it on between the cover and the case and maybe use some silicone to seal it against water and grease.

Last edited:

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Yeah. It's been "rode hard and put up wet" repeatedly.
Like an old scarred up mangy tomcat, it's so damn ugly you HAVE to love it a little.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Nope. It's doing just fine untouched.
It started within the first ten feet, like always. No matter how much abuse it gets or how long it sits....
Just keeps on running.
Here's some video:

Last edited:

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I'm not saying it doesn't run fine! It's like the million mile honda civic that was bought back by honda to have them open it up to see why it ran so reliably. I noticed on my bike that had around 1500 miles it had some minimal scratching that could be seen on the jug itself, but didn't effect performance what so ever. I just think it would be interesting to see how much wear and tear would be on the thing that of course isn't already noticeable! What I am REALLY actually surprised by is that the stock gas line is still in use!

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I absolutely guarantee nobody but me has even touched it with tools since it was originally built....
No point in checking since it risks a bad gasket and he won't fix it if there is an issue.
Don't ask, don't tell kinda thing...

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I absolutely guarantee nobody but me has even touched it with tools since it was originally built....
No point in checking since it risks a bad gasket and he won't fix it if there is an issue.
I agree with that 100%.... it can run great until taken apart then not be the same after put back together because everything is worn in just right and even the slightest disturbance to these parts can lead to it needing to be fully rebuilt before running right again... or it'll pick up that annoying leak a new gasket wont fix etc.... something like this should be left in one piece until it needs to be rebuilt and it'll last a lot longer.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I guess if someone got Really curious they could use a borescope and take a peek at the underside of the piston going in thrum the intake manifold, or check the cylinder wall by sticking a borescope into the spark plug hole.... otherwise its best left in one piece

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
To be honest, I have no desire to look inside it. It runs fine.
Too much effort to lean down and look in the port with the pipe off. Lol!
Again, no point since the owner won't do anything unless it quits again.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
To be honest, I have no desire to look inside it. It runs fine.
Too much effort to lean down and look in the port with the pipe off. Lol!
Again, no point since the owner won't do anything unless it quits again.
I gotta agree with your point there too... when ya look ya find something ya don't like most the time... but it runs perfectly. That's actually happened to me before. When I was a lot younger I shoehorned a 460 into a 67 Ford pickup to replace the 302 that replaced the 250 straight 6... Everything was running great on it but I had the engine out and decided to "check a few things out" before putting it back in... next thing I know I got it all the way apart to redo the valves, get a new set of lifters, and the cam lobes were all worn down pretty far... but that thing ran perfect for me and it was outrageously fast too...

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yep if it ain't broke.... Don't fix it....!

Many problems get created by people fixing things that ain't broke.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yep if it ain't broke.... Don't fix it....!

Many problems get created by people fixing things that ain't broke.
yup... or deciding to take a look and "holy#@$@#$%!!! How does this thing still run like that?" then take it apart and make it worse by losing something tiny but critical or breaking something trying to get it apart when it was working just fine to start with...

I do like people who do stuff like that because they pay my bills now... lol
Not uncommon for someone to come by my shop that either tried to do an alignment on their car at home or change out a spring, tie rod end, or ball joint, then call me after they got it all in pieces wanting to know how much it's gonna cost if they let me fix it...