Travel question

GoldenMotor.com

kr632

Apr 13, 2009
buffalo
I would like to take a month or two and go on a trip on a motor bike. What would you consider too far? Ill go as long as it is reasonable to do it on a bike. What would you recommend I bring and what type of bike would work best for travel? Cruiser, mountain bike, full suspension or trike. I should probably bring a complete extra kit along in case of break down. A tool kit. Extra chains, tubes And tires. Any suggestions and tips are appreciated. Thanks

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
If you're going to travel out of state check the other state's laws. Carry tools, spare parts, as well as what others have suggested. Start by taking short trips first, increasing the next trip by 25-50%. This way you'll gain experience and learn what'll work best on your trips.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Not to discourage you in any way shape or form however from my exp. of around 3,000 miles in 2 yearrs on my bike Id def. want to try out a 4 stroke to see if the hand vibration i got from long rides is present with the 4 stroke thats the only thing rthat keeps me from going further is the numb hands and sac it does a numbbb ber down there as well. At any rate
I would recomend like and instep 2 kid trailer for towing.

In your trailer "instead of 2 kids" get a couple spare tires , tubes and all and one extra of everything you can think of. Perhaps a tent for sleeping , a sleeping bag , basic survival stuff a few MRE's manual air pump, gas , wind up radio, with cell charger , and a survival knife and last but not least the tool no man should ever leave home with out ...A good ole fashion or new fashion pistol of course. For the snakes of course

Last edited:

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
A.) A good engine ya don't have to mess with all the time.
Having gone thru a vast array of engines, my 1st & only
choice would be a tanaka PF4000. A 7 year private use
warranty sez it all.
B.) A sturdy bike you don't have to mess with. I'm partial
to hard tail, old school mtn bikes with a comfy springer saddle
foam lined grips. front shocks are okay, but they add weight
& can fail. Simple is good.
C.) Gear? How fast do you want to travel; how comfortable
do you want to be? Tools, you know what you're most likely
to need. A spare clutch, chain, patch kit, zip ties, duct tape,
brake pads, etc.
When I want to travel fast and light, I go with a $15 walmart
fleece bag and 1/2"x24"x42" pad rolled up inside a bivy sack.
no fuss camping, just roll it out on the ground & climb in. In
winter I go with a heavier bag.
I have an in-frame pannier with pockets for sun screen, bug
juice, shades,maps,multitool, first aid, a wire grill.(scoop out
a l'il trench or set it on rock & bild a far).
A tire pump is a must have.
light nylon rain hoody, rain pants, 2 pr shorts, 2 pr sweat pant,
1 heavy wool sweater, 4 pr socks(one heavy), 3 long sleeve
Ts.
These go into a pair of water-proof front panniers along with
telescoping fishing pole, high power slingshot. the bivy ties
over the top.
If you'd rather carry a few more luxuries you might wanna go with
sumpin like dis. note the stealth engine cowling.

Attachments

kr632

Apr 13, 2009
buffalo
Not to discourage you in any way shape or form however from my exp. of around 3,000 miles in 2 yearrs on my bike Id def. want to try out a 4 stroke to see if the hand vibration i got from long rides is present with the 4 stroke thats the only thing rthat keeps me from going further is the numb hands and sac it does a numbbb ber down there as well. At any rate
I would recomend like and instep 2 kid trailer for towing.

In your trailer "instead of 2 kids" get a couple spare tires , tubes and all and one extra of everything you can think of. Perhaps a tent for sleeping , a sleeping bag , basic survival stuff a few MRE's manual air pump, gas , wind up radio, with cell charger , and a survival knife and last but not least the tool no man should ever leave home with out ...A good ole fashion or new fashion pistol of course. For the snakes of course
Thank you everyone for the input. I was thinking about the kid trailer and putting everything in it. Would weight become a factor with all the supplies(basically a whole bike and engine kit along with tent sleeping bag food and water), trailer and myself(200 lbs) going up pretty steep and long hills? Was trying to figure out a way to mount 2 engines on a trike or the dax heavyduty engine. The longest I have ever traveled on my girl in one day was about 60 miles round trip she took everything I could give her that day. 20 miles was almost all throttle.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
A.) A good engine ya don't have to mess with all the time.
Having gone thru a vast array of engines, my 1st & only
choice would be a tanaka PF4000. A 7 year private use
warranty sez it all.

I will be taking a few pointer from this post thats fer sure!!
Thanks for the input amigo!

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
very interesting post. i would too like to go on my 66cc two stroke for about 350 kilometers in one trip.

For us non metric Americans... if one kilometer is equivalent to 1.6 mph. 350 killometers is =to......bleep bloop bloop bleep bloop bloop beep beep beep bloop ..

"making audible old school computing sounds in my head "

218.75 miles... usflg

YIKES & Holy sore backside BATMAN.... don't forget your GEL pad!!! may even want to double them up if you can keep it from sliding off to the side .... hmmm just had an apifffimy what bout gel grip .. nothing to thick just a thin layer to cut down on the vibration.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
I would like to take a month or two and go on a trip on a motor bike. . Thanks
May I be so bold as to ask "what does one do" in order to take a ONE OR TWO MONTH sabbatical? For a jaunt down the highway If I sound jealous ..it's BECASUE I AM !!!!!!in a Lewis Black tone of voice .

Last edited:

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Well Jumpa,
It's About all I can Afford to do. I'm 64 living on $368 a mo.
S.S. I try to live off the land At least 3 days a wk. I know my
edible plants. I've got my telescoping fishing pole & slingshot
as grocery getters. I'm not above using a occasional snare
or occasionally dining on dumpster Neuberg.
This saves me enough to rent a room and kickback once a week
and still have money for grub, gas, and misc.
One thing I forgot to mention earlier, if you're planning a tour of
more than a 1000 mi., you're almost certain to experience a rim
failure if you're on aluminum rims. All it take is one pothole hidden
in what looked to be a shallow puddle. I don't know from carbon,
but stainless rims aren't a bad idea; neither are 12 gauge spokes.

P. S. I made my own foam lined grips from a gator hide thrift
store briefcase; it's waterproof. Just about everything I've got
is recycled.

Last edited:

kr632

Apr 13, 2009
buffalo
May I be so bold as to ask "what does one do" in order to take a ONE OR TWO MONTH sabbatical? For a jaunt down the highway If I sound jealous ..it's BECASUE I AM !!!!!!in a Lewis Black tone of voice .
I work at a college and I have off from may until August.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
I can't think of a better excuse to take off, 632. I've been prepping
for a long ride. Right now my biggest problem is deciding where to go.
Sometimes, I guess, ya just gotta saddle up and ride.
I used to do a lot of prospecting, and I'm thinking of getting a cheap
metal detector. Not much at getting on my knees though, having
shattered a kneecap along with other injuries.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
Well Jumpa,
It's About all I can Afford to do. I'm 64 living on $368 a mo.
S.S. I try to live off the land At least 3 days a wk. I know my
edible plants. I've got my telescoping fishing pole & slingshot
as grocery getters. I'm not above using a occasional snare
or occasionally dining on dumpster Neuberg.
This saves me enough to rent a room and kickback once a week
and still have money for grub, gas, and misc.
One thing I forgot to mention earlier, if you're planning a tour of
more than a 1000 mi., you're almost certain to experience a rim
failure if you're on aluminum rims. All it take is one pothole hidden
in what looked to be a shallow puddle. I don't know from carbon,
but stainless rims aren't a bad idea; neither are 12 gauge spokes.

P. S. I made my own foam lined grips from a gator hide thrift
store briefcase; it's waterproof. Just about everything I've got
is recycled.
yeah, this isn't bicycle related but i'm a disabled vet living on small money also so i know how it is, fortunately, there are still some places where you can buy land for cheap, mostly in places where it is difficult to build and where there is no infrastructure, ...for example i myself am saving up to buy a piece of land somewhere in Colorado where you can still find 5 acre parcels for under $5,000.00.

...anyway, once i buy the land i'll build an earthship on it and begin establishing a permaculture food forest, ...in your situation you could begin planting perennial edibles as well as self-sowing edibles in wild areas near where you live so even if you don't own the land you can still eat off it.

...here's a few pics of some earthships so you can see what this kind of off-grid living looks like.

...if you are interested in the concepts you can google 'earthship', 'Mike Reynolds', 'permaculture', 'Bill Mollison' and 'Geoff Lawton'.

peace, bozo

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Howdy Boz,
Being an expatriot Coloradan, I'd say the area you might look into is in SW
Colo. around Nucla & Naturita. Much of the state is now horribly over-
developed.
The home you show is almost identical to the one Dennis Weaver,(Gunsmoke,
McCloud), built outside of Ridgeway near Telluride. Great guy; he'll be missed.
He used almost exclusively recycled materials.
Good luck finding cheap land in Colo.; Most of the intermountain area has been
so abused that the watertable has been destroyed, and the forests are
dying of acid rain & bug kill.as a result of warming. I wish you could have been
there 50 yrs. ago. Other options would be the eastern prairie portion of the state
or down near Uravan in the old uranium mining district.

Last edited:

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
P.S. Boz,
I'm right with ya on the Jefferson Quote. Here's
another:
"I fear that banking institutions pose a greater
threat to our liberty than any standing army."
Thomas Jefferson

"The right to travel is a fundamental constitutional right."
...ruled Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart.( Eisenhower admin.)

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2013
RI
P.S. Boz,
I'm right with ya on the Jefferson Quote. Here's
another:
"I fear that banking institutions pose a greater
threat to our liberty than any standing army."
Thomas Jefferson

"The right to travel is a fundamental constitutional right."
...ruled Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart.( Eisenhower admin.)
...yeah, i've been looking at Alamosa county and a couple of other county's, the more remote the better, lol. ...if you check the 'earthship' website there is a link on the right side called 'Pockets of freedom' that leads to a map of the US with counties that have sane building regulations are colored in green so you'll know where building alternative style buildings is still possible without all the bs red tape.

...and here is another favorite quote of mine, ...kinda says part of why i want to move to Colorado, specifically.

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." --Abraham Lincoln

...i'm kinda partial to this one too, lol.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

~ Samuel Adams

peace, bozo

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Given the fondness for liquor int that era, the Lincoln quote probably got him elected.
I was never all that fond of 'Allimoosa'. Their football team played really dirty when
I was a WSC in Gunnison. Delta Cty,, I know for fact has a slack code & you couldn't
more remote than parts of that county. Nice folks for the most part, rural ranchers,
farmers, & off-the-grid organic hippies, but they all get along. A good Saturday
auction in Delta brings 'em all together. People there help each other out. Or at
least they used to. It's been a while since I lived there.
Nucla & Naturita are a little more remote; of course that's Mormon country, but
they're not pushy about it, & They're decent enuf folk.

Last edited: