Greetings from memphis, tn

GoldenMotor.com

RubberTramp

Jan 2, 2012
memphis, tn
Started my first bike project just for transportation. After reading and researching the web I found that this good be a fun activity to get into. I dont have the means or budget to build hot rods and rat rods this might be the thing for me.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Tramp, welcome.

Really is a great hobby. Lots of folks built some amazing MBs from all junk and found parts and you can go high end too.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Started my first bike project just for transportation. After reading and researching the web I found that this good be a fun activity to get into. I dont have the means or budget to build hot rods and rat rods this might be the thing for me.
Hello! I'm also in memphis TN so PM me if you need any help. Be glad to give you any advice I can. Have two builds under my belt (Both stolen :()Saving for a third kit now.

RubberTramp

Jan 2, 2012
memphis, tn
Hello! I'm also in memphis TN so PM me if you need any help. Be glad to give you any advice I can. Have two builds under my belt (Both stolen :()Saving for a third kit now.
Thanks maniac, im sure ill have some questions after the first test drive. After having motor for two months it took looking for a bike for it mount too i just now got it together running into problems the entire time. All I could think was "Fits most male bikes my a**"!!! You wouldnt happen to be the guy ive seen riding around the highland/summer area you?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Thanks maniac, im sure ill have some questions after the first test drive. After having motor for two months it took looking for a bike for it mount too i just now got it together running into problems the entire time. All I could think was "Fits most male bikes my a**"!!! You wouldnt happen to be the guy ive seen riding around the highland/summer area you?
Thats probably me...purple diamondback mtb (at least till it got ripped off!) back under pedal power now:( I'll be happy to help you sort it out. Have a welder for chain tensioner lockdown. (I tack the bracket to prevent it from moving under torque into the rear wheel with bad results) Also have a tuned pipe if you're interested. brnot

Greasy

Jan 14, 2012
Oakland, Tennessee
Hi Rubber Tramp. I'm from Memphis too. Was born and raised there, but I moved to Oakland, Tn. 20 years ago. Just joined this forum and just took my first ride on my first build. Its a Walmart Huffy Cranbrook, ( cheap bike but I'm old school ) with a 66cc Raw motor. Started right up and pulls good. I also bought a 49cc and I'm gomma put it on a cruiser for my wife. Lots of good info on this site. I've been riding 55 years. I also have a 150cc Chinese scooter and a 06 Ultra Classic with a trike kit. Love to ride 'em and work on 'em.
Greasy

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I'm from Oak Ridge. Make sure to look up the Tennessee laws on motorized bicycles before you build. Otherwise you may be charged with operating an improper vehicle on a public roadway.

Greasy

Jan 14, 2012
Oakland, Tennessee
Hello L R Larry

As I read the law in Tennessee concerning "motorized Bicycles". A motorized bicycle is a bicycle, (with pedals) and with a motor with a displacement of 49cc or less and having no more than 2 BHP. (the bike I wrote about has a 66cc engine and is not covered by this law, and as such cannot be operated on any public roadway legally). However, the vehicle described by this law, maybe be operated on a public roadway, except an expressway, or a highway that is four lane, and/or divided or on a sidewalk. The driver must wear an approved helmet, have eye protection, and have a valid driver's license with a "D" endorsement. ("M" is not required) No insurance, registration or license plate is required, but can be obtained if so desired.
This infomation can be found under, Tennesse Laws for "Motorized Bicycles"

Thanks for your reply, Greasy

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
) Motor-driven cycle means every motorcycle, including every motor scooter, with a motor that produces not to exceed five (5) brake horsepower, or with a motor with a cylinder capacity not exceeding one hundred twenty-five cubic centimeters (125cc);

(35) Motorized bicycle means a vehicle with two (2) or three (3) wheels, an automatic transmission, and a motor with a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters (50cc) which produces no more than two (2) brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a maximum design speed of no more than thirty miles per hour (30 mph) on level ground. The operator of a motorized bicycle must be in possession of a valid operator's or chauffeur's license, and shall be subject to all applicable and practical rules of the road. A motorized bicycle may not be operated on a highway of the interstate and defense highway system, any similar limited access multilane divided highway, or upon sidewalks. For the most part if you don't ride like an idiot the cops won't brother you. However be very careful if riding in an area where there's bicycle cops. You can turn your 66 cc into a motor driven cycle. There are braking, lighting, registration, insurance and motorcycle license requirements. Then you can ride it anywhere the Tennessee laws allow you too without any worries.

Last edited:

Greasy

Jan 14, 2012
Oakland, Tennessee
L R Jerry. (sorry bout the larry before)

You have stated the law correctly and I think I paraphrased it correctly in my first reply. The phrase "automatic transmission" as applied in this law, means a source of power transmission that does not involve the operator having to change drive to driven ratios manually. It was language carried over from the 1950's, for the "limited driver's license" law, in Tennessee, that allowed those of age 14 years thru 16 years to ride motor scooters, that all had centrifugal clutches. These limited licenses restricted the holders to operating hours of 6a.m. - 8p.m. and travel limits of 8 miles from home, and a horse power of 5 or less. I had a hand in getting this law passed. In those days there was no insurance requirements, but your ride had to have a registration and license tag.
Thanks for your reply., Greasy

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I totally understand what you're saying. The only problem with old laws is very few old judges. So you're at the mercy of what a younger judge believes it means. My brother and x brother in law ran into one another; both were hurt really bad. They were charged with operating an improper vehicle on a public roadway. The judge said it was improper because the bikes had clutches instead of automatic transmissions. This happened in Knox county in 2006.

Greasy

Jan 14, 2012
Oakland, Tennessee
You are totally right L R. Once you walk into a court room, the judge become god. I live in a small town and like you said, as long as you don't do nothing crazy, they won't even notice you. Just picked up a 1932 Schwinn Henderson a few days ago and I'm cleaning her up. May look at motorizing that. Its to heavy for an old goat to pedal anyway.
Greasy

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Are you in hill country? I installed a Staton Inc crank drive system on my Land Rider bike. I manually shift the front three gears and the rear seven shift automatically. Oak Ridge is loaded with police to be such a small town. I really don't mind though. It feels good to not have to immediately lock everything down in your yard when you go into your house. In fact my landlord is a 92 year old judge. What are your plans with with the Schwinn? After having heart surgery I just couldn't handle these steep hills and long grades in Oak Ridge. That's what got me into building motorized bikes. When I build for other people I ask them where they'll predominantly be riding. The terrain, law , rider and budget are my main guidelines when building a bike.

Last edited:

Greasy

Jan 14, 2012
Oakland, Tennessee
This area is fairly level, except where I live. There are some steep inclines around my house, but my 66cc mounted on a 26" Cranbrook will take me to the top of the steepest one. I've tried peddling it and its just to much for me. I weigh 245 and am 70 years old. Bad combination for peddling uphill. I've been cleaning and painting parts from the old Schwinn. I'm not sure if I want to ride it, motorize it or just hang it in the shop to look at. I'll post some pictures when I get it finished. I got it out of a scrap yard and it was headed for the crusher. It has the Schwinn springer and a tank. I'm painting it Hunter green, trimed in dark Creme. I also have a 1960 Schwinn Wasp that will be my next project. I've kind of gotten into the vintage bikes. I would love to find a Black Phantom. I had a 1954 Black Phantom when I was a kid, but like most all boys, I beat it to death.
If I'd only know then..
Greasy

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Greetings from San Diego, Kaliforgnia!
I too wish I had taken better care of my childhood toys. The few that were still around my Dad threw away a few years after I moved out when he "cleaned" out the garage, so I guess it would have been a moot point anyways.
I hope that you enjoy this place!

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Makes me think of the 67 Firebird I had in my early twenties. That was the first year Pontiac made Firebirds. Have you heard anything about the electric assist bill for bikes. It's suppose to be if the motor is under a certain watt rating and doesn't propel the bike beyond 15 mph unassisted on level ground you don't need a driver's license. Gearnut I don't know much about California laws, are the hard on y'all out there? We're blessed with no inspections or EPA regulations.

Greasy

Jan 14, 2012
Oakland, Tennessee
Hi Gearnut & L R Jerry.
I've enjoyed this site so far. Wish I had more time to spend on it. There is a wealth of knowledge to be gained here about motorized bikes, for sure. My very first motor bike was a Simplex Servic Cycle. My grandfather got it for me on my 14th birthday. He was an ole motorcycle rider. He had an Excelsior/Henderson, made, by Schwinn, about the same time as my vintage Schwinn Henderson was made. He told me about how most motorcycles of that day were sold without lights and that he went down to the local hardware and bought a carbide light for his headlight. He also bought a driver's license and tag at the hardware for two bits. Ah, the good old days. That was the same time that we worked to get the "limited Driver's license" law passed. All the boys were riding Cushmans or Allstates (Cushmans), but grand daddy said I wasn't gonna ride no "wheat thrasher" so he got me the Simplex.
Haven't heard about the Electric assist law, but I know that before long, a lot more folks will be riding bicycles, just like in the UK and Asia. The fuel cost will demand it. Good talking with you fellas.
Greasy

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Gearnut I don't know much about California laws, are the hard on y'all out there? We're blessed with no inspections or EPA regulations.
The laws are pretty lax around here. The local revenue makers, err uh... Sheriffs, are getting keen on what is legal though so I am being cautious with my newest build.

Sinistar

Dec 18, 2011
Memphis TN
I'm in memphis too I'm 38104 and my motor just went shot I think I't my needle bearing that's on my crank I have taken my Power King motorized bike from midtown too mt.moriah past hickory hill but it wouldnt last the motor has to be tore down now just from new to broken in condition plus the needle bearing I can hear shearing against metal. The site sponsors just got a order to my house today for a running riding type of upgrade but I have to get the motor rebuilt and it requires the small gear sproket puller which I don't have. I like the bike but the thing isn't made for long commutes but can be made too do that.