I don't know how you guys do it

GoldenMotor.com

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
I am in no way an expert on MB . But if i think i might be able to help someone with a question , I try to help .

Some peoples questions might sound rediculous , but if you don,t know ... you don,t know .

The first time my kids seen a single speed coaster brake ( thet were 18 and 14 years old ) and they couldn,t understand how to stop the bike without a handbrake .... Is it thier fault ? No ... they never seen one before ...how would they know .

OK ..here is my problem ( especially in the last few days )
Some very oddball questions from NEW members ( who sound like they have a bit of mechanical experience ) Almost seems like they are just messing around .

I really have to hand it to those of you who can repeatedly deal with stuff like that , and some of you have been doing it for years in here .
Its people like you that make this a great site .

But i gotta draw the line somewhere . I try to stick with the philosophy that , if I don,t have something good to say , then don,t say anything . But its driving me nuts when theres a question ( thats odviously from a kid ) who is trying to figure out how to put a 200cc engine on a bike with just a coaster brake , and a 20 tooth sprocket ... but can't figure out how to get the chain on .

Sorry ... can't do it any more ... not even gonna atempt to answer stupid questions anymore ... because its iether 1 of 2 things
1... someone getting thier rocks off asking dumb questions .
2... a kid who's gonna end up killing themselves

Hey man ... iv'e seen some pretty impressive work from some kids on the site ... but they also have some practical knowledge and in most cases an adult to help them learn some basics

There are some really amazing bikes on this site ( like looking under a christmas tree for a kid ) .... 50mph ... i want one too

SO ... once again .. to those who have the patience to keep helping people ... my hat goes off to you . It is you that makes this site the great place that it is

Thanks

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I try not to help newbie kids, unless the phrase "My Dad" gets mentioned a few times.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Yeah, I avoid helping people who obviously know nothing about bicycles themselves. It's my opinion that one has no business on a MaB unless they are quite proficient on a bicycle. Knowing bicycles well teaches you their limitations and imparts a certain respect for them.

This is why you'll never see me bolt a 100+CC motor to a bicycle. It's not that I'm scared, I just lack speed-greed. Hence being on a bicycle in the first place. Many here would never be on a bicycle if it wasn't for the fact one can just bolt a motor on it and grin til something breaks.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
I gotta agree with you Diceman. There are a good deal of people here with more patience than I have when dealing with some of the stuff that gets asked here.
Like you I would prefer to say nothing than say something negative of insulting.
Hats off to you moderators...and you long-timers who are still here for other's benefit.

Also hats off to you guys with the patience and collective cool that can deal day in day out with the same repetitive simple questions that seem obvious to many of us.

You who are willing to take the time to go into great detail to help those who lack knowledge and ability.

It's what makes this a great place to learn. Learning more than what it takes to make a great bike.

Tim

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
If they don't know about a bike by-itself then they have no business slapping a motor on it. That's just stupid and asking for something negative.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I'm all for Torque, not so much speed. I feel that any faster than 40mph is when you should really make the jump to a motorcycle that is built to handle the stress that comes with that speed.
Even though I'm not trying to slap an oversized motor on a bike, I am very glad the community here doesn't get angry and yell at me to "SEARCH BUTTON" when I ask a the many questions I have. I love it!

tsujinago

Dec 5, 2011
Ann Arbor, Michigan
As a 17 year old, I can't find disagreement in any of you guys' statements in terms of safety but a small series of little bloopers with motorized bicycles and everything about their assembly and maintenance has been a major factor in myself growing an appreciation for getting things done the right way, regardless of actual mechanical aptitude.

That said, there's a certain threshold where keeping up with traffic speeds might just be safer than trundling alongside the road at 20mph, out where roads have little more than a foot of shoulder and people fly over hills and all. Therefore, I do believe that riding style and respect for road rules has more bearing on safety than how fast your bike goes (if it's built to handle it, that is).

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
As a 17 year old, I can't find disagreement in any of you guys' statements in terms of safety but a small series of little bloopers with motorized bicycles and everything about their assembly and maintenance has been a major factor in myself growing an appreciation for getting things done the right way, regardless of actual mechanical aptitude.

That said, there's a certain threshold where keeping up with traffic speeds might just be safer than trundling alongside the road at 20mph, out where roads have little more than a foot of shoulder and people fly over hills and all. Therefore, I do believe that riding style and respect for road rules has more bearing on safety than how fast your bike goes (if it's built to handle it, that is).
The idea of "keeping up with traffic" means you are traffic and places oneself under the purview of just another class of motor vehicle subject to all DMV and DOT regs of any other motor vehicle on the road.

There are potentially as many reasons and rationalizations as there are individuals looking for loopholes on how to slip through the legal cracks sideways into two wheeled motorsport without paying the freight but LEOs and state legislatures aren't that stupid and eventually will come back to bite ya. IMO, keep it low power, keep it a bicycle with low power assist and it'll be a lot easier explaining why it shouldn't be regulated as just another motor vehicle.

tsujinago

Dec 5, 2011
Ann Arbor, Michigan
The idea of "keeping up with traffic" means you are traffic and places oneself under the purview of just another class of motor vehicle subject to all DMV and DOT regs of any other motor vehicle on the road.

There are potentially as many reasons and rationalizations as there are individuals looking for loopholes on how to slip through the legal cracks sideways into two wheeled motorsport without paying the freight but LEOs and state legislatures aren't that stupid and eventually will come back to bite ya. IMO, keep it low power, keep it a bicycle with low power assist and it'll be a lot easier explaining why it shouldn't be regulated as just another motor vehicle.
Of course, riding motorbicycles at a leisurely pace and keeping to slower roads is preferable most of the time but sometimes you're forced to take a 30-40mph main road to get to your destination - in those cases, I personally think it's just far more respectful towards other motorists to keep along with the flow of traffic than to be a potential obstruction on the road.

You raise a good point in terms of the legislation of motorbicycles - but anything that was previously classified as a moped or motorcycle would likely see little change if motorbicycles were ever to be regulated (although they haven't been under much scrutiny for the past 100 years and aren't common enough for most people to fuss over). Seeing as the only vehicles not classified as a moped or motorcycle would be the slower motorbicycles you seem to prefer, it is not likely that they would fall under any harsher legislation than what mopeds currently fall under - for the benefit of complete peace of mind with the police with a large legal grey area patched.

In the meanwhile, talking to local police and getting quicker motor-bicycles registered as mopeds (adding a few harmless things like a turn signal set and wearing a helmet) seems to put riders completely off the hook with police anyway, which is not too much of a hassle for what prevention is worth.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
In the world of motorized bicycling I like to consider myself both a commuter and a builder, which while related ofc - are not inherently intrinsic.

As a motorized bicycle commuter, a year-round daily driver - my priorities are simplicity and efficiency, reliability and rideability, a practical, safe machine that gets me where I'm going with a minimum of fuss. This is for many all motorized bicycling should be and I respect that, how could I not as I do the same myself?

As a builder however, I can place no limitation on creativity, there is no dream or aspiration too outlandish to be considered, no thought or question without merit regardless of experience for this is how we learn - by striving for a goal that seems unreachable we achieve knowledge. As such I cannot begrudge those that would try something I would not do, how could I as I do what others would not?

No any one thing is "right" for anyone but yourself, no question that shouldn't be asked, no solution all encompassing. Experience is relative, expertise a comparative term only. By considering questions and ideas we would not ask of ourselves we are granted the opportunity to learn something new. I have nothing but the deepest respect for those that would dare to ask, those that would admit their ignorance in the quest for knowledge, for these are those that would learn.

I would warn of danger, but I would never dream of stifling creativity. There is no question without value, but many an answer that is.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
Experience is relative, expertise a comparative term only. By considering questions and ideas we would not ask of ourselves we are granted the opportunity to learn something new. I have nothing but the deepest respect for those that would dare to ask, those that would admit their ignorance in the quest for knowledge, for these are those that would learn.
i have been following & preaching this for most of my life.
i figured out that out that any life however simple is good @ something.
even from some one thought of as a simpleton.

i also learned that some people need more than a helping hand.
they just need it done for them.
so i also give props to those people that have patience to help the hard to help. (or not willing to search)

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Of course, riding motorbicycles at a leisurely pace and keeping to slower roads is preferable most of the time but sometimes you're forced to take a 30-40mph main road to get to your destination - in those cases, I personally think it's just far more respectful towards other motorists to keep along with the flow of traffic than to be a potential obstruction on the road.
Being respectful on the road is a swell thing, if only worked both ways. More often than not, when I am out riding whether it be a bicycle or motored bike the disrespect, or perhaps more accurate complete disregard, from motorists seems patently a one sided affair. Personally, the only time I 'claim a lane' on a MAB is in slow, urban, downtown type traffic to make left turns. The existing MAB/moped regs where I live are pegged at 25 MPH max speed but even if it wasn't there is no way I'd be dicing it up with car traffic at 40 on a bicycle on open thoroughfares. As I used to tell my kids when they rode bikes: You're invisible........even if you're in the right you're the one who could end up dead wrong.

You raise a good point in terms of the legislation of motorbicycles - but anything that was previously classified as a moped or motorcycle would likely see little change if motorbicycles were ever to be regulated (although they haven't been under much scrutiny for the past 100 years and aren't common enough for most people to fuss over). Seeing as the only vehicles not classified as a moped or motorcycle would be the slower motorbicycles you seem to prefer, it is not likely that they would fall under any harsher legislation than what mopeds currently fall under - for the benefit of complete peace of mind with the police with a large legal grey area patched.
Yes, perhaps they would not fall under more stringent regulations than currently on the books for mopeds, and I'd probably be okay with that, but inherent in the premise is that already a large majority of moped regs now dictate displacement under 50cc and 2 HP. Lights, turn signals, rider safety equipment wouldn't be too bad to meet compliance, but DOT speed rated tires, wheels, and braking might become more problematic as well as having to supply an MCO or MSO if required.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We've veered a bit off-topic from the OP's intent but that's what discussions do sometimes.

As far as having patients with new builders, I have to hold my tongue often when I see, "I want to go fast" or "I need to keep up with traffic". My immediate inclination is to answer with a snide, "Buy a motorcycle". In fact, in some earlier days I did just that but in their wisdom a couple of members pointed out that, as Barley Awake said, I was stifling creativity.

I still maintain that in spite of the need for some to push the envelope when it comes to performance, what we're riding will remain bicycles. They have bike wheels, spokes, bearings and brakes. The frames and in fact the total design of our creations are and will always be, bicycles.

You will see many states have speed limits attached to whatever other restrictions they have on motor assisted bikes. Most are in the 20mph range. The law makers didn't sit back and say, "How can we keep these guys from having fun?" What they did was legislate against excessive speeds being attained on a vehicle that was not meant to "keep up with traffic". They set, in most cases, limits designed around the capabilities of the vehicle.

I'm fully cognizant that there is an age, a generational issue thing here too. Most of the older members here can easily say, "Been there, did that, got the trohies, t shirts and sometimes the scars to prove it. We've pushed the limits in our youth and have reached an age where we can sit back as see the potentials for disaster that were never realized in our younger days. When young, you're invulnerable, you're Superman and can stop a speeding bullet. We older guys know what can happen and usually avoid, and in a lot of cases warn against actions that we know can and often do cause great physical harm.
A motorized bicycle can hurt you. Disregard for traffic laws/speeds, reckless riding and youthful indifference for the potential for injury can come back and bite you in the rear. Which is the reason that I no longer enter into conversaions regarding the raising of performance levels. I've decided instead of advancing arguments regarding speed, I'll simply ignore them.

When it comes to helping new members overcome the issues that all of us have experienced, I'll offer up some tid-bits of information and even try via PMs to help. My frustrations come from the ones who will not take the time to do even a little research before asking a question that has been asked and answered countless times. Often instead of posting advice I'll offer links to pages of information that with only a little effort and reading will answer the question several times over and give options as well.

Nuff said.
Tom

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
We've veered a bit off-topic from the OP's intent but that's what discussions do sometimes.

As far as having patients with new builders, I have to hold my tongue often when I see, "I want to go fast" or "I need to keep up with traffic". My immediate inclination is to answer with a snide, "Buy a motorcycle". In fact, in some earlier days I did just that but in their wisdom a couple of members pointed out that, as Barley Awake said, I was stifling creativity.

I still maintain that in spite of the need for some to push the envelope when it comes to performance, what we're riding will remain bicycles. They have bike wheels, spokes, bearings and brakes. The frames and in fact the total design of our creations are and will always be, bicycles.

You will see many states have speed limits attached to whatever other restrictions they have on motor assisted bikes. Most are in the 20mph range. The law makers didn't sit back and say, "How can we keep these guys from having fun?" What they did was legislate against excessive speeds being attained on a vehicle that was not meant to "keep up with traffic". They set, in most cases, limits designed around the capabilities of the vehicle.

I'm fully cognizant that there is an age, a generational issue thing here too. Most of the older members here can easily say, "Been there, did that, got the trohies, t shirts and sometimes the scars to prove it. We've pushed the limits in our youth and have reached an age where we can sit back as see the potentials for disaster that were never realized in our younger days. When young, you're invulnerable, you're Superman and can stop a speeding bullet. We older guys know what can happen and usually avoid, and in a lot of cases warn against actions that we know can and often do cause great physical harm.
A motorized bicycle can hurt you. Disregard for traffic laws/speeds, reckless riding and youthful indifference for the potential for injury can come back and bite you in the rear. Which is the reason that I no longer enter into conversaions regarding the raising of performance levels. I've decided instead of advancing arguments regarding speed, I'll simply ignore them.

When it comes to helping new members overcome the issues that all of us have experienced, I'll offer up some tid-bits of information and even try via PMs to help. My frustrations come from the ones who will not take the time to do even a little research before asking a question that has been asked and answered countless times. Often instead of posting advice I'll offer links to pages of information that with only a little effort and reading will answer the question several times over and give options as well.

Nuff said.
Tom
If we didnt veer off topic now an then our discussions would be more Q&A an not truely spurring creativity , with out the creativity our hobby would wither an die because none of us would have been inspired to motorize a bicycle in the first place.
I would answer any question put to me to the best of my ability , not forgetting to add any safety notes within in said answer.
we can give people the tools its up to them how they use them .
Gary

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
I will help those that want to help themselfs.
If you can't read and follow the manual for install you don't belong installing it.
Don't ask about things that are stated CLEARLY in the manual i WILL not help/
Do not brag that you can do something ... will tell you to prove it.
Do not insult others work but try and help them improve it if possible.
If you see something that is not safe... help them make it as safe as possible.

and this is coming from a Noob...
Thanks for such a great site that I am proud to say I belong to.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
When I read someone's post that sounds a little odd I think back to when I started as a fork lift mechanic, I knew all about gasoline engines from working in a auto machine shop doing all kind of head and block work but I knew nothing about electric fork trucks. It is hard to understand how something works if you don't see moving parts. If some of the guys that helped me wouldn't have it would have been real hard to learn. One guy told me when I started out that the olny dumb question is the one I don't ask!

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
One guy told me when I started out that the olny dumb question is the one I don't ask!
IMHO, the best way to get an answer to a question, is to research the answer yourself. Most answers are in the forum already.
It takes much more effort this way, as opposed to just asking someone, but I promise it's more rewarding.
No one person knows it all, but the collective paints a pretty complete picture.