Chain help

GoldenMotor.com

Groovydude

Jul 3, 2011
Michigan
I finished putting a 66cc skyhawk engine on my huffy beachcruiser yesterday. It has the fat 2.3 inch tires, and the standard bicycle chain for the motor rubs on the back tire. I am upgrading to the heavier chain. Is there any way that I could get the chain to not hit the tire? If not, then I am going to buy a thinner back tire. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
hey how are you doing...i have the same motor and similar set up....
i found if my cones loosened up that is what happened....
try a thick washer on your chain drive side, inside frame and see how you go...i moved my wheel slightly which helped also.....its all a part of tuning your bike and dont forget to check tentions on your bolts regularly....good luck...

oldguy387

Jul 5, 2011
Bethlehem,Pa.
I have the same motor on a Schwinn cruiser. I have the bicycle chain (not the motor cycle chain) on my bike and it works perfectly. I also have the idler wheel set away from the spokes slightly to keep the chain running straight and true. Set it up and just roll the bike around to see what happens and readjust. good luck. dale

Groovydude

Jul 3, 2011
Michigan
Thanks for your help! I got the #41 chain today, and decided to just go with a 2 inch tire. It is running great! I got to really ride it for the first time today, I got 10 miles on it. Brought it up to 32 mph. Of course I'm happy with that speed, but will it go faster with the standard mixture for the gas? I'm still running the break in 18:1 ratio.