another old Noob checking in.

GoldenMotor.com

thudpucker

May 29, 2009
North Central AL.
Recalling my old Fat tired Schwinn with the Knee action and two nice springs under the saddle, I'm wondering about some things.

I'm weighing in at 240 these days. That 145 stuff dissapeared on me.

So should I be looking for another of those smooth riding bueaties?

Fat tires would be good, or am I thinking wrong.
I think I'd like Road Tire Tread as well. I see a lot of Mountain bike tires with knobby tread on some of the Motorized bikes.
Why's that? Style?

Four strokes Shak a bit. Two strokes are 'nasty' to fuel.

What forum would I go to see what some folks who've made long MB trips have to say?laff

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Thud, welcome.
Knobbies, give ya a sort of buzzing vibration. Fat, street tires are smoother as are the 4 stroke engines. But the 4 smokes are larger and not as purty. I think a better ride but have both and depends on the day and mood sort of deal.

Best bet is hook up with some one local and ride one. But they are addicting and you will need 3. The one your ridding. The one your building and the one your planning. LOL

.flg.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Fat tires are probably more comfortable, but you may run into problems with you chain, depending on your frame offset. I have a Huffy Cranbrook that came with 26 x 2.125 tires. My chain rubbed badly on my tire, to the point that the inner wall showed through. I switched to a 26 x 1.95 semi slick tire. I had some chain rub on the tire, but not as bad as with the wider tire. The real problem with the semi slick was that I laid the bike down turning into a parking lot after a rain. I then switched to a knobby 1.95 tire. No more chain rub, no more sliding in the rain. As far as whether to go 2 stroke or 4 stroke, its up to you. I personally have only had 2 stroke motors. In the small engine category, 2 stroke motors are more powerful. Here is why: 4 stroke engines fire once every other revolution, and have a separate stroke for each action in the engine cycle. 2 strokes fire every revolution, and also complete 2 actions of the engine cycle in one stroke. The 2 stroke bicycle engines also cost about a third of what the 4 stroke engines do. However, the 4 stroke engines are generally more reliable and durable. So, it all depends on what you're looking for in a ride.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Welcome!

I am breaking in my first MB so I can't share a compare but it sounds like a motorcycle when I start to accelerate. Makes me think I need to shift when rpm's go high but it's okay being a 2 stroke.
If my information is accurate I understand the 4 Stroke supply is limited at this time and priced high due to Japan and possibly price manipulation.
I was told that 4 strokes are good but they, like electric, do top out around 20 mph. I believe once broke in this 2 stroke will get closer to 30 and I am a heavy guy so I won't be sad if it goes 26 or so with me on it.
On the gas smell? Yes it's annoying but then it's a 2 cycle and we have to mix and handle gas more than simply filling the tank.
I understand I will get better performance once I switch to broke-in mix from Break-in mix.

I understand 4 stroke motors are nice so I'm not disparaging any choice of motor.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Not being disagreeable or meaning to. A 2 stroke has a better power to weight ratio but my 4 stroke, 50cc's have more power and speed then my 66cc 2 smokes. All stock kits with no mods. There are small 4 strokes that will top out at 20. My Honda GX 50cc tops out at 35MPH and HF 79cc tops out at 34.

The main disadvantage of the 4 strokes is they are huge by comparison, are not as good looking. They both have some great points but I prefer the sound of the 4's over the 2 strokes. Is a hum rather then a buzzing sound. Purely a personal preference thing. Ride with a bunch of folks who much prefer the sound of a 2 stroke.

But never met any one who was unhappy with their MB. Just folks building their next one, lol

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Welcome to the madness. As fire as tires go the 2.10 will give you a better ride. If you are having chain rubbing issues you can off-set your engine (easier with a 4 stroke) or fashion a tensioner that keeps it away. Last year I had a 2 smoke and the pick up was great topped out around 28 or so. This year I built a 4 stroke and yeah it doesnt have the same fast pick up as the 2 but it gets to the low 30s with no mods. the 2 smokes look more like a motorcycle engine , but you can make a 4 look at home. Im sold on the 4 a bit more dependable , cleaner looking handlebars with no clutch , no gas mixing , and I prefer the sound a bit more.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Welcome Thudpucker to the forum.
What kind of riding are you planning on doing? If you plan on just cruising the streets, the fat street tires are the way to go but make sure you have a good set of tires. It's the only thing between you and the road and spending a few extra bucks now can save you a trip to the ER.
If you want to be quiet and cruise around at a decent speed, a 4 stroke would be the way to go and like you said its not as messy filling up.
However if you're looking for speed, a quality 2 stroke is the way to go. I went thru a chinese HT before I upgraded to a Morini. My HT ran great after I replaced the piston bushing with a quality wristpin bearing from a bluebird motor. I've seen a few HT motors with the piston bearing blow up and destory the motor.
I'm a firm believer in spend the extra money now on quality and it will save you money and headaches in the long run.
One more thing before I jump off my soapbox....lol
Please check out the thread on front fenders 101.
So with that...Welcome and enjoy the madness! dance1

thudpucker

May 29, 2009
North Central AL.
Easy Rider made me think pretty hard about where I ride. I'm quite a ways out into the county. Blacktop roads with (Uneven?) shoulders. Meaning if you were being passed by a car, you might stop, rather than tippy-toe down the edge of that road.

We have some Un-even pavment which will vault a Hay Roller a foot off the ground.

So I'd be out riding around on those roads for awhile till I got used to this thing.
When we speak of speeds, and fuel usage, I really dont know how I'd feel if I went for an hour's ride, at 20 Max and pokey while I'm looking at other people's money, I would not expect to run out of gas.

Tires are a strange topic. My old Schwinn never had flat tires etc. My little brother had a Columbia with no tire trouble either.
But my Grandchiillin dont have one good tire between the Six of them.

I'm still not too Convinced I want to do this. But it sure seems like a handy thing to the Store n' back!