Custom Clamps Made Easy

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
You know how improtant detailing is when your presenting your latest motorbike build. You want everything just right. Well, I like all my cables and wires to flow with the design of the bicycle and be properly secured. So I buy stainless strips of different widths to make custom clamps. You can buy them as hose clamps for all sizes or in bulk rolls at most industrial supplies online. Once you determine what is to be clamped and to what, cut the strip to your estimated length with shears or snips. You can form the clamp with needle nose pliers, but I like to go one step further, so I made a forming die. It can be made of steel, wood or aluminum. I made mine from a scrap of 1/2" X 1" bar stock I had laying around. Drill several different size holes close to the edge and using a hack saw and file, finish the holes into "U" shapes.

By placing your new die in the jaws of your vice along with a cut to length strip and a bolt or drill bit representing the size of your cable, close the vice and it makes a very professional looking loop in your clamp.

Now form the strip around a socket or something similar the same size as the tube your clamp is giong to be used on. Bend out tabs on each end, center punch for the bolt and nut and punch or drill holes in the tabs. I like to use a Whitney punch. Round the edges or leave them square, your choce.

You can make a single clamp for every cable, or put more loops in one clamp and support multiple items. I like to use a clamp or two on my wiring split loom for a finished look and to keep it away from the exhaust.

Reactions: chainmaker

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Very, very nice. Nothing like neatness when it comes to the details. Thanks for sharing.
Just a suggestion: If you had a source for spring steel you would not need the screw. The clamps would hold themselves to the bars. It wouldn't be easy to work with but it could be done. Until then, you have a great idea. Thanks again.
Tom

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Good idea. McMaster-Carr has spring steel. I've purchased it in sheets for horn diaphragms, but it could easily be cut into strips. I also have a pretty good selection of ready made bicycle spring clamps, but still prefer the look of a bolt and nut. It's all about what look you want. Thanks for the idea.

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
hey , nice!! pretty custom, but unfortuanatly my friend it isnt complete untill u take stud and put 2 stainless cap nuts on there, or better yet 2 spike bolts...im really tired of china, china products and anything that looks chineese, for example those hideous looking bolts and nuts on that kustom clamp.

Attachments

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Sure, it's all a matter of taste. While Acorn and spike nuts look gawdy and outlandish to some, my idea of an upgrade would be allen bolts and nylocks. Depends on the theme of your build.

Reactions: chainmaker

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Nuts, bolts or springy...The kind of clamps the man is making looks better than tape, tie wraps or bailing wire.
Here's one I found in a box of unrealted junk and used it to hold a remote choke control cable. Its a stainless spring type and clamps tightly to the bar.
Tom

Attachments

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Very good Thread!! I love that idea,I'm gonna try that as soon as I can.
I wonder if pallet strapping would work?
That's kinda spring steel,maybe to brittle!Just musing.
Cool Thread Thanks for posting it msrfan! Kip.
[email protected]

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks, Guys, they're so simple to make. The brand name on the ones I use is "Band-it" and are available worldwide. Just Google with your location to find distributors in your area. I also make clamps and hangers for my chainguard, electrical module and fuel tank because of the poor quality and always wrong length in the kit. The banding is so workable, you dont have to make a special tool. They can be formed with needle nose pliers. If you drill the bolt holes, be sure to hold it with something other than your fingers, and back it up solid, like an aluminum scrap or hardwood block. sheet metal strips seem to want to turn with your drill bit. I before I got my hole puncher, I used a stepped "drill tree" bit because after it made the hole, the next step automatically de-burred it. Good luck, I can't wait to see some cool clamps on your bikes. I sure some of you will find innovative ways to use them.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Okay, I went a step further with my cable looping tool. Added some pieces so it doesn't take three hands to hold everything while you close the vice. I still have to cut some different sizes of round stock to make it a complete kit. Found a little box to keep it all in. Plan on using it a lot for my next builds.