Mounting the clutch!?!?

GoldenMotor.com

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
I've got the clutch mounted to the handlebars, but I have NO CLUE how I'm supposed to rig it up to properly engage the clutch itself. The instructions say something about a ball mount on the motor, and I have no idea what that is. So close to finishing my build! :(

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I hope this helps: The "ball Mount" Ok, if you will look at your clutch cable you will see that on one end there is an object either shaped like a round ball or most of the time shaped like a barrel, round and flat on 2 sides, this end attaches to your clutch lever that is mounted on your handle bars, it's kind of hard to explain to you in writting how to hook the cable up to the lever but if you will look it over it is very simple to figure out, the lever itself will have a slot and the adjuster that screws into the lever will also have a slot they will line up with each other if the part that screws into lever is rotated to that point, you will first put either the ball or barrel shaped end of the cable into the area on the lever that allows the cable "BALL" to sit and then rotate the cable into the slot on that pivoting area of the lever then slide the cable into the slot that is in the clutch lever frame and also the clutch lever adjusting screw, I may not have given very good directions here but this is the best way I could think of to put it into words, it hooks up the same as the brake cable on a bike with hand brakes, a very simple set up. Hope this helps, good luck on your build.

usflg .duh.

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
That makes sense, I'm starting to think my problem is just that I don't have the cable secured to the frame, which is giving the extra slack. I wasn't sure if the "ball mount" was referring to how the cable actually attached to the frame or not. I'll whip up some zip ties and see what I can do.

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
Could you post pictures of how yours is set up? I honestly can't see how this will pull that clutch arm. I've got mine set up and tight as can be, but when I try to engage the clutch I just gives out and slack is back on the line. Also, I took out the second smaller spring for the cable, is that ok? With the smaller cable in line I couldn't see how you could ever get the cable tight enough to compress that spring all the way AND pull the clutch arm.

EDIT

Got it! I was looking at other peoples pictures and found out what that little fixture sticking up next the the clutch arm was, a route for the clutch cable! *slaps forehead*. I'm so awful with this kind of stuff =P

Thanks!

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Good I'm glad you figured it out, any cable with housing set up has to always have a place where it can be secured so that the pressure on the cable is backed up against the cable housing or all of it housing/cable will just move at the same time and will not apply pressure where it is needed. once again good luck with your bike.