New Lighting System for HT Bicycle Motors

GoldenMotor.com

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
I found this today on Ebay. It bolts in under the generator cover to the rear of the generator. So it's independent of the bikes normal electrical system. I really think this maybe the extra electrical generation for lighting alot of ppl have been looking for. The second link show some extra stuff including a ac to dc converter for it to charge "on the bike" battery packs. This really opens up alot of possiblities.

SUPER DEAL Mini-Generator With LED Light Motorized Bike - eBay (item 400057342055 end time Oct-19-09 21:22:35 PDT)

2d link: eBay Store - WONDERFUL CREATIONS STORE: Coming Features

gendisplay.jpg

Could somebody who knows more than I about the generator electrical output comment on this? If you look at the pic this thing is just a extra coil taking advantage of the existing generator frame. Would this boost the primary coil output or have no effect on the primary?

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Re: New Lighting System for HT Motors

This what I like about this hobby... Every person brings something different to the table!
It looks like he makes 'em in his garage... cool!
I'm still waiting for someone like him to figure out how to beef up the ignition system!

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.

I know that one guy was able to use a 2 wire CDI from a small yamaha to run his bike with no other modification. It was plug and play. Problem is to buy one they are $50 he had one laying in his garage. I think about any 2 wire motorcycle CDI might work. Venice have you ever tried using a offset key to adjust the magnet timing? I think you'd get more boost from that. A engine with this small of a combustion chamber wouldn't get a huge boost from alot more spark unless the original spark was very weak.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario

brett used one of those on his bobber build and said it was nice and bright :)

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA

Does anyone remember the little generator that ran off the tire used for lights? Don't remember any problems with those. That was maybe 40, 45 yrs. back now, last I saw.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Junster,
You might have found the Holy Grail. A couple of us were discussing a very smiliar concept several months ago. The idea of making a second coil that would use the magneto rotor (magnet) to produce a seperate power source. This guy must have overheard our conversation. :)
Seriously, this could be the answer everyone has been searching for. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Tom

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.

Venice have you ever tried using a offset key to adjust the magnet timing? I think you'd get more boost from that. A engine with this small of a combustion chamber wouldn't get a huge boost from alot more spark unless the original spark was very weak.
I actually have thought of something like that!!
I was thinking of filing the slot on the magnet & advancing it that way.
I know if you advance the timing on Harleys & old VolksWagens, you get a ton of power from them! (but you have to be very careful because it makes them run hotter!)

Last edited:

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Last edited:

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury

I like it....Always having lights on so people can see us,I will have to add that to my favorites to buy in the future....
John-John

Last edited:

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton

now with the new leds light out there you can run them off the existing magneto.
with no problems with heat or cdi. just came back from a long ride with lights all the way.
no batteries ;) im using the black and white wire.....

im sure someone has covered this on another thread:)

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton

wow that is bright..im going to order one or make it. till than i added a few more winds just to be on the safe side. need lights before i get pulled over ;(

Attachments

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.

I hadn't seen Brett's thread. Anyone interested in this gadget should follow Kevlarr's link in post #11 for more info.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny

That first link sound like a great way to get power off the magnets. A few claim to have great success tapping off the white wire but myself and a few locals have not had such good luck at all, And those Walmart generators that run off the wheel are junk.

Personally I use a cheap 100 LED headlight that runs for 6-7 hours off rechargeable AAs and lights up the entire road.

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az

I bought a night rider light for my night comutes and last night i didnt realize it was shining a little high and a guy that past me was flashing a flashlight and tapping his breaks at me. He was 2-300 yards in front of me, this light is bright but no more reachargeing the batt. would be nice

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada

I bought a night rider light for my night comutes and last night i didnt realize it was shining a little high and a guy that past me was flashing a flashlight and tapping his breaks at me. He was 2-300 yards in front of me, this light is bright but no more reachargeing the batt. would be nice
I bought a night rider light for $300 can. the vibration blew it within 5 minutes--they provided me with a full refund now i have a cheap $50 led -works great!!.fly

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az

man that sucks, i take my NR everywhere i go, i take it night riding on the dirtbikes just in case, ive used it for caving, and it still works great, the only way i could see one of these lights not working due to vibrations is if the light was one of the old designs, the one i have is the newest LED i beleive, i say i beleive because some say there HID bulbs now, but i dont think so, anyways sorry to here your NR didnt hold up for you,

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton

That first link sound like a great way to get power off the magnets. A few claim to have great success tapping off the white wire but myself and a few locals have not had such good luck at all, And those Walmart generators that run off the wheel are junk.

Personally I use a cheap 100 LED headlight that runs for 6-7 hours off rechargeable AAs and lights up the entire road.

i gave up on using the white wire. it works i just started to notice a change in the motor.
back fires the odd time. and it getting hard to start.

but i do have another idea that i just finished. if it works i will make a new thread ;)

cheers

Attachments

Earthman

Mar 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

Does anyone remember the little generator that ran off the tire used for lights? Don't remember any problems with those. That was maybe 40, 45 yrs. back now, last I saw.
You can still buy 6v and 12v generator/light sets. Look on ebay.