The Violator is born!

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Not sure what category this bike fits into, but I really wanted to show it off. I was not trying to replicate any other bike, I was trying to create an original style that was based on other styles that inspired me. I got exactly the look that I wanted. Its amazing what you can do with a Huffy Cranbrook, an engine purchased on eBay, a few cans of engine paint, and some vintage parts off of a junk bike. Well, here she is. Comments appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Nice ride. Looks fun, and works well enough to call it a boardie. Two things I recommend. Since a bike with a motor needs more stopping power in the front than in the back you should get a front brake, and You will have a MUCH smoother ride, and faster too, if you get a smooth rear tire. Happy riding man :)
Peace
-LS

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I actually have a coaster brake and a rear hand brake. I never had any mishaps with this setup in the past. I did have a slick back tire once, and I laid the bike down turning into a parking lot after a rain. No more slicks for me, thank you. But thanks for the comments, guys!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Thanks so much for the compliments, LS! I really was shooting for as close to a boardie look as I could get. I was also trying to make it look as badass as possible. Hence the name, The Violator. So these compliments mean a lot to me. The seat, handlebars, front fender, and the headlight are from a bike that was almost 40 years old. Couldn't believe that the seat was in such great condition. The headlight didn't work when I got it, but luckily I was able to fix it. The handlebars and fender needed some polishing, but came out pretty nice. I am so happy with the look I ended up getting, I am considering taking it to some car shows.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Road tires work awesome! Gives ya the smooth of slicks and the grip of knobies. (actually better. More contact) Just sayin'

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Yeah, I'm happy with the tires I have. Plus, I'm done spending money on this bike. Getting married in less than a month, and my fiance would kill me if I spent any more money on this bike. Bad enough I still have to come up with a tail light.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Yes, you have a kinda mean bike going there. I have to admit the name made me laugh, but the bike is cool. It feels a little perverted to call it the Violator, just saying :D Peace
and happy riding
-LS

dan+1

Mar 5, 2011
Texas
The thing about building these bikes in this day and age is that the ingenuity and creativity of our ancestors is reawakening. Those folks that take the time to piece together a machine from old parts, fabricate parts what ever or however putting together a machine that works. Well that is refreshing, regardless to rather it is a Indian clone, boardie or huffy with a bolt on kit. The Individualism and creativity shows threw on the end project.

That’s a good thing in this modern age of carbon copy products. Most anybody with credit can go down to the store and get a turn key motorcycle, scooter or moped now days. My hat goes off to each and every one of you that have built your own little machine.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Yeah, I'm pretty proud of this build. I just hope it stays running this time. This is the 4th incarnation of this particular MB. The name is new, though. My first bike ran for over a year. I just had bad luck with this bike. It started out with a 66cc engine, and one of the rear mounting bolts snapped. I used the engine from my first bike to rebuild, and that engine broke down thanks to the piston rings burning up. Then I put another 48cc on it with a centrifugal clutch. Didn't know the centrifugal clutches were junk. $130 down the drain right there. Then I got this 66cc on ebay from luckyearlybird. Had the engine for a couple weeks or so, but was waiting till I had the money to paint. The bike was disassembled down to the bare frame for painting. By pure chance I found that old bike at the scrap yard, and it had all the parts I wanted. Then I painted it over a couple days, and began the process of rebuilding. I was able to get the majority of the rebuilding done in one afternoon. Quickest, easiest, and smoothest rebuild yet for me.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
It has two tabs, just no sissy bars like the giant fenders you see on bikes nowadays. The fender came that way, it doesn't even have a spot to attach sissy bars. The handlebars, seat, fender and headlight are all from a vintage ten speed that was sold by grant's department stores. Grant's closed their doors permanently in 1976.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
i'd personally swap it out. if that bolt vibrates loose even a little bit the back part could sag and take out your tire, giving you a flat on a good day and sending you over the handlebars at 30mph on a bad day.

just my opinion.

rest of it looks good and the seat looks especially cumfy.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Nah, the tabs aren't slotted, just a round hole straight through. I put the work in to save these vintage parts. Polished all the chrome. I'm not changing the fender. I will put some loctite on the bolt when I get a chance, though. I will add it to the list I made of final adjustments. Sorry, but I got exactly the look I wanted here, so if I change even one little thing, it will mess with perfection. Just not gonna do it.