bmx w/Yamaha 100

GoldenMotor.com

spoftc

Jun 2, 2015
Orting, Wa
just wanted to share a photo of my latest bicycle conversion i think its just about complete i was out riding it today a little heavy but still lozes traction on wet asphalt this photo is from about three weeks ago its got diff. handle bars a spoked rear wheel and a newer motor there is no pedals thats why im calling it a conversion i'll post a current photo next or when i got a recent one on the computer this gives a close proximity of whats happening in the garage here in Orting . Ride on !

Attachments

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Ha ha that thing is a monster! I love way more power than intended for a chassis and this is extreme at that. You have the equivalent of a 2000 horsepower stock chassis Miata right there.

spoftc

Jun 2, 2015
Orting, Wa
bmx conversion

this is a more recent picture i went back to stock exhast the other was to loud to run late the photo without footpegs was before i had ridden the bike and before i realized the importance of a spring seat this bike is fun . I can tell you that I have a bmx frame set aside for a water cooled rm 80 motor with that in mind if any one knows where to get not just tubless but solid ruber tires in the 20 inch 1.75 to 2.25 size range i remember when i was a kid some of the bikes had those on em .

Attachments

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
If you can widen the frame and forks you could run 16" motorcycle tires on the 20" bicycle rims... there are some moped and scooter tires with some nice looking street treads available in the 16 x 2.5 and 3.0 size range... If you could find some moto cross tires that would fit it would really look cool. Maybe a set of 20" fat tire rims or a Stingray rim in the back since those will take a 16 x 4.0 or 4.5 nicely... you would need to widen the rear triangle considerably for it to fit tho...

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Do NOT try the solid tires. They are extremely dangerous on a pedal bicycle much less a motor bicycle with a power to weight ratio slightly better than a Saturn V rocket. I applaud, admire and envy your work and have plans for a liquid cooled 85cc 2 stroke MX motor myself so I appreciate the insanity. But the solid tires come in and out of production with the number of lawsuits from them coming off. Not to mention they are all but impossible to mount which is strange considering the ease that they pop off while riding.

spoftc

Jun 2, 2015
Orting, Wa
I GOT TO COME UP WITH SOME DURABLE TIRES that are in my price range and that range is next to nuthin and or trade able . the axels and bearings aren't exactly high milage either i really want to stick with the 80's bmx look and feel i'm not tryng to build a motor cycle this is motorized bicycle / BMX conversion / dry asphalt flat track drift bike. Im kind of a dreamer but since my father and grandfather passed away (they are truly missed) I now have full run of the shop all that can stop me now is coMmon sence and a bad ACCIDENT THANK YOU for the advice i will contine searcching for a solution for now a fresh set of tires and bearings resucure the sprcket and i'm all set for 10 to 20 miles of fun depending on how easy i go on the clutch

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
check out the pirelli ML 75 moped tires. they're 2 1/2 x 16 and fit on 20" bmx rims. they're reinforced and have a J speed rating.

i bought mine new for 17 bucks each.

last long, streetbike tread and grip awesome.

not exactly a bmx tread, but you don't exactly have a bmx bike anymore.

but if you want to keep it bmx, check out maxxis hookworms or kenda kiniptions. both grippy, long lasting tires (long lasting on a bicycle, that is.)

whichever way you go, get some heavy duty tubes.

i also wouldn't recommend solid tires. i've popped them off bicycles before, or spun them on the rims just from pedaling. they're mostly used on cheap kids bikes and trikes where they don't get abused. they have no give, no traction, and, well, suck...

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Great tire advice. I have been having pretty good luck finding tire deals on eBay for my next build so you might want to check there. I understand the limited budget believe me, one cool thing is you don't need to be a PayPal member anymore on eBay. You can go get a Wal-Mart prepaid Visa with just a few bucks, you do have to call Green Dot bank on the back of the card and attach your address, then you can buy on eBay and check out as a guest with no hassle. Hope this helps.

spoftc

Jun 2, 2015
Orting, Wa
i'm looking at them on ebay and i keep asking myself how can 16 inch fit on 20 inch. im looking thru all the moped tires on here and wondering how to figure the real hight on these

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
The difference is that motorcycle tires are measured at the rim and bicycle tires are measured at the outer circumference, and very loosely measured at that... that's why you'll need 16" motorcycle tires instead of 20" bicycle tires.

A set of 16x2.5 or 3.0 tires would look great on that bike and have a lot better traction not to mention the ability to withstand the speed that thing's gotta be capable of... I'm guessing it can do at least 60mph if not better so if it was me I'd definitely be putting some safe rubber on those wheels... I'd also want to re lace at least the rear wheel with the thickest spokes that you can make fit. A set of 12 or even 11 gauge spokes would be a lot stronger than the typical 14 gauge that could possibly rip out from several hard take offs...

spoftc

Jun 2, 2015
Orting, Wa
thats real good info you seem to be really knowledge able on all this . back in the mid 80's i was into the bmx racing (thats sorta why i'm going with the bmx look instead of the mountain bike) anyhow there is new stuff to consider like this axle i got from the neighbor supposibly called fat boy axle but i cant seem to find bearings and races to fit the thing have you heard of these axles

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Man too bad they dont have those rims in 26" size... They do look cool but like you said... not sure about the quality. I guess one could get some cartridge bearings and have the center bored out to fit the cartridge bearings like from a downhill bike so you could run the 20mm axles and all... or better, get a set of downhill hubs for the cartridge bearings and 20mm axles and lace them to those 20" rims with 12 or 11 gauge spokes... That wouldn't break on ya if you could make it all work...

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you could also check craigslist for junk mopeds or ebay for 16" moped wheels.

as stated above, a 16" moped wheel is the same as a 20" bike wheel. it's the only size that wll cross over. there's no compatible moped/motorcycle tire that'll fit 24 or 26" bikes.

mopeds use thicker spokes and bigger hubs with bigger axles and are designed for faster, heavier bikes, and aren't much wider than a bicycle wheel.

plus you can use the big drum brake hubs for better stopping power than a crappy bike hub.

spoftc

Jun 2, 2015
Orting, Wa
i was up all night trying to put this Redneck solution together took along time but didnt cost me a dime this is a motorbike hub with bmx rim and tire im headed out the door right after thes post for a test ride...i just got back home and im definately getting full throttle now and aside from my ****tyu trueing job (slight wheel hop ) it spins strait its a whole new ball game i came out of the corner by the grange trying to race this van he not only almost ran me over but his overall top speed he won but i swear i got him coming out of the corner this was my best ride since i got this thing running

Attachments