Hello from Bristol England

GoldenMotor.com

johnsi12

May 12, 2014
Bristol,England
Hi, my name is Simon and I have just acquired a 1920`s Atco mower (1st pic) and a Hercules bicycle (2nd pic)of the same age. The plan is to build an authentic looking vintage auto cycle.
Originally I was going to convert my fake Hercules path racer (3rd pic) but decided use a wrecker as I really like the pathie as it is.
Will try and post pics and updates as I progress.

Cheers Simon

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome johnsi, and we're glad you've joined us here.
You have an amazing and ambitious project planned and there are many here who will be watching. That mower engine is unique and will make a great vintage looking motorized bicycle power source.
Please keep us informed on your progress and post photos of it.
Good luck.

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Goodness Gracious! They had reel type motorized lawnmowers in the 20s?

I didn't think those had come along until about 1965 or so.

And you've got some fine old bikes to work with there.

Welcome aboard.

johnsi12

May 12, 2014
Bristol,England
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
The engine is a Villiers 148cc mk8c (I think-further research required) which was made from 1930 to 1949 so it is a little later than I thought. Old mowers are quite common on ebayuk
I paid £10 for mine and it has also provided a nice torpedo(ish) tank and brass fuel tap, as well as a load of bar and plate for the build. Also a rather nice bakerlite knob for the belt drive lever.

I am going to try and mock it up later, work allowing and will post some pics

Cheers Simon

johnsi12

May 12, 2014
Bristol,England
Hi all, I`m going to start posting this build on Board racers and vintage motorbicycles, `cos I think thats what I`m supposed to do, if I`m mistaken could one of the moderators put me right.

Thanks Simon

Lightning Boy

Apr 19, 2014
Michigan
I left my first DIY build in the introduction section, because it was my first posting here. I think you'll be fine, if you chose to go that route. In my experience, if the moderators want something moved to another area, they will do so and let you know why. Best of luck.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hi all, I`m going to start posting this build on Board racers and vintage motorbicycles, `cos I think thats what I`m supposed to do, if I`m mistaken could one of the moderators put me right.

Thanks Simon
That is a good choice for this build. I'll be watching and provide redirect if needed.

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress. Very interesting build that many will be watching. Good luck, sir.

Tom