coaster brake revisisted

GoldenMotor.com

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
So this is my 3rd attempt to fab a coater brake arm to go around a sprocket on an adaptor. The 1st attempt failed badly. The second attempt was a total redesign and worked perfect. The problem was it was only a prototype to prove the new design and I just hose clamped it to the frame. Unfortunately I lost the in process pics I took. So the finished installation pics will have to do.

I started out with a short length of 1" x 1/8" box tubing and started cutting and welding. 1st I slit the tubing lengthwise and than milled the pieces to 3/16" thick and then welded the 2 half's together. I slit and bent to form the bends and radius. Tacked it together and fit it before finish welding. I made a aluminum mounting bracket and welded to the frame. Ta da... a new old school functional coaster brake arm.

Attachments

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
That is Soo CLEAN- Mad skills Brother. Looking at the finished product I can only imagine the full process.
Good work Mass.
-Richard

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Thanks all. Some might say its a little over kill, but that's better than under kill... and thank you for saying I have mad skills. I've been trying to offer my "mad skills" to the public for decades. Only recently people have begun to take notice. This means a great deal to me.

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Looks sweet! Speaking of coaster brakes, is there any way to make them more effective? I was thinking out cutting new grooves in the shoes / pads.....would that work?

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
It is nice work, and it does look very clean and well designed, but you can also bend the stock brake arm to fit the sprocket. I did it to mine without even taking the arm off the wheel. Just make sure your cone and locknut are properly tightened and use a seatpost, slide it as far down as you can get it on the arm and bend it out. Then reposition the seatpost a little higher up on the brake arm and bend it in. It worked for me on my manic sprocket adapter.

Nov 27, 2013
earth
www.Frankenbikes.com
nice fab, looks "real" - as so many of my non fabbber freinds attempt to compliment nice work with...

this is a tricky component, i mean so much is riding on it - heh

on my west coast chopper build i tried the bending method and it ripped the brake arm

i have a thread on here somewhere about my adventure, which is still working

impressive work!

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Very well designed, thought out, and built... Your work looks like it was meant to be there and like what a factory piece should be, but with much much better quality.

I let nobody wrench on my machines, but I could easily make an acception here... Very Impressive Indeed..

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Thank you very much Dave. No one but me wrenches on my bikes either...lol The reason it looks "factory"is because I'm a professional, I'm a tool maker by trade. Please visit my BikeBobber Facebook page, and my website bikebobber.com will be online soon.

Should you want any work done on your bike or for your bike let me know. I box, gusset, stretch and modify frames. I make racks, brackets, and anything you may want. Again thank you very much.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
We might just need to deal on my next build... What I got in mind is something like one of those mid 90's proflex frames with a Morini or KTM clone engine, this of course means frame modifictaions and a jack shaft thru the swingarm pivot point to keep the chain from going all over the place as the suspension travels...
I've been an aircraft mechanic since the early 80's and have done both mechanical and structures work thruout the years so fab work is second nature to me, but I've pretty much retired myself from aviation and started buying machinist tooling to support my hobbies which is building and riding custom motorcycles, and now the motorized bikes since it's a lot less expensive to play... I'm still pretty new to machining stuff so that's where I could hand off some of the work to you...
I could prep the frame to a certain point, then send it off to your shop for making the mounts and brackets etc, then back to me for a custom paint job since I do paint and airbrush as well.
I'm stil looking for just the right frame and there's no real time limit for when this build takes place or gets completed so it should be interesting what we can come up with...

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Dave I'd like to assist in any way I can. Besides custom one-off bracketing I am currently working on a line of generic brackets and clamps that can be used and/or adapted to a verity of uses. Just so it is known fare and wide, I test everything on my own personal bike first. It is the perfect excuse to beat the snot out of my bike, I call this "test riding". lol
You know I came to this hobby by chance. A customer came to me and asked if I could build him a motorbike? I did some research and told him it wouldn't be cheap and it had to be safe and reliable by my standards. He agreed and put out a deposit. Five months later I was still waiting for parts to finish the bike when he became impatient and backed out. I refunded his deposit, and adopted the motorbike. I've since built 2 more, one I sold and the other is finished, but I'm detailing it. It is based on the my Sprint design and leans towards the "low rider" side of things. Can't wait to show it off...