What else do I need for the install?

GoldenMotor.com

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
just my thoughts on stock sproket and rag joint,get rid of it, its worth the money for sprocket adapter that bolts to hub instead of spokes. less work,no mods to dust cover or break arm if your using coaster brake. looks better, easier to change sprocket size. just be sure to use lock tite.good luck,peace.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Got it running today!!! for all of 12 seconds...then the chain twisted and broke!!! I have to say that was an extremely fun 12 seconds, and I look forward to doing it again tomorrow. Question, where can i buy a new chain locally? or is it only sold online??? Thanks so much for the help guys!!r.ly.
To start with...a answer to your question. Tractor Supply has chain, something like $13.00 for a 10' piece, a motor bicycle, or dirt bike shop might have them. If you are going to replace the chain, don't get a junky chain. Once set up correctly, (although the drive conversion is nice) done, you can get many years of enjoyment out of the crappy rag joint. I'd almost bet that the majority of HT's are running the rag joint.

DrewFL

Mar 25, 2012
Boca Raton, FL
To start with...a answer to your question. Tractor Supply has chain, something like $13.00 for a 10' piece, a motor bicycle, or dirt bike shop might have them. If you are going to replace the chain, don't get a junky chain. Once set up correctly, (although the drive conversion is nice) done, you can get many years of enjoyment out of the crappy rag joint. I'd almost bet that the majority of HT's are running the rag joint.
I am about to go pick up a better quality 415 chain from a bike shop. I think maybe the reason it broke was that I had the master link clip facing the wrong way. I hope this ends up working out! I wanna ride!

DrewFL

Mar 25, 2012
Boca Raton, FL
I got everything working great tonight for the most part. I have a few odds and ends to loosen up including some vibration cause hunting. I love the bike, and I only have one serious issue with it right now. I can't get it to idle. I have tried a few different needle settings, and played with the idle screw. Basically, if I am not giving it gas, it shuts off. Any ideas??.duh.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I got everything working great tonight for the most part. I have a few odds and ends to loosen up including some vibration cause hunting. I love the bike, and I only have one serious issue with it right now. I can't get it to idle. I have tried a few different needle settings, and played with the idle screw. Basically, if I am not giving it gas, it shuts off. Any ideas??.duh.
I read through your posts, I didn't see what type of carburetor that you are running. If it's a CNS, sell it and buy a NT or a NT speed carburetor. Check to nake sure the carburetor slide is installed correctly.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Unfortunately, this morning, on of my exhaust mounting studs snapped off. Is there an easy fix to this? can it be jb welded?
That is exactly why I stress "replace hardware"
If you can't grab the stud with vice grips (remove exhaust pipe first), then looks like you will have to drill it out and use a screw extractor. Sometimes a "left handed" drill bit works wonders. Do you really think JB Weld will bond two pieces of a stud together? And hold? This is one application that JB has no place for.

Last edited:

DrewFL

Mar 25, 2012
Boca Raton, FL
I know the JB won't hold any of that. It looks like I will have to extract it. Do you know of any good links on how to do this the right way? I have seen it done but never have attempted it myself. Also, what size easy out and drill bit will I need?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I know the JB won't hold any of that. It looks like I will have to extract it. Do you know of any good links on how to do this the right way? I have seen it done but never have attempted it myself. Also, what size easy out and drill bit will I need?
1) Remove engine, hard to work on while installed. I'd remove the cylinder. I made a jig to use in my drill press. This will work for both exhaust and intake studs.

I use 6mm X 1.0 long studs in the intake to hold cylinder in place. The cut away on the bottom is for the washer and nuts.
2) Take a center punch and punch stud as close to the center as you can.
3) I'd start out with a 1/16" drill bit, and move up. Work slow as the smaller the drill bit, the easier it can snap. Use cutting oil, or just oil if that's all you have. I have cutting oil, it's the best.
4) Then I'd use a "left handed" drill bit to see if that would work.
5) Drill as large as a hole that you can, paying attention to the angle of the hole. Drill a straight hole.
6) Use the biggest screw extractor that you can.
7) Tab extractor into the hole.
8) Turn extractor same as you were removing a bolt or stud (counter clockwise).
9) You might want to use a little liquid wrench or PB Blaster before trying to remove the stud.
10) If it won't come out.

Last edited:

DrewFL

Mar 25, 2012
Boca Raton, FL
I got the exhaust manifold fixed today. When I put the bike back together, it will not start now? wtf? It will sputter like it wants to start very quietly, quieter than usual, but it never starts.

DrewFL

Mar 25, 2012
Boca Raton, FL
Also, I pulled the plug out and cranked it and there was spark at the plug. So what could it be? I had the engine on its side on the workbench while i was fixing the exhaust manifold.