what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Nice score 5-7!

lol anim8r, horz shaft briggs make nice pusher trailers :p Small engine troubleshooting applies to any engine. Fuel, air, compression, spark = happily running. Easy to remember acronym when you start cussing, heh heh.
thanks, killercanuck.

Thanks for the acronym too. fuel.....air.....compression.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

Couldn't find the really big 36" pipe wrench so I used a 24" pipe wrench to bend the crank arm on the LA Cycles BigMo. Now I can put it on craigslist!! Now that I can sit on an see exactaly how I would have fit on it...there's no way without a massive chop, hack, and weld-up. The Dynacraft West Coast Limited is much better for motorizingusflg

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

got a new wristpin bearing in (10x14x15) threw it in and let her rip. felt so much better than the crappy bearing it came with.

also put a new cylinder and rings on to get a proper break in. just need to keep running her until it gets dialed in.

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina

The work continues on my Stiletto Rat Bobber. Today I fabricated a disc brake adapter for the OCC front wheel I'm using. Installed a 160mm disc, everything is straight and true. Fabricated a chrome .weldfront fender and added chrome braces to the rear fender. Insalled the dual brake lever from BGF, not sure I like the idea of both brakes on one lever. Have ordered wide cranks to clear the new pulll start. Still working on a way to mount my high output LED headlight. To celebrate my progress, will take the Red Hornet out for a ride to the marina and back first thing in the morning.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA

I MADE MY FIRST SALE!!! And there's snow on the ground. Guy needs transportation badly- we're waiting for schwalbe hobnails to show up so's he can get to work and back in this weather. Huffy 'Panama Jack' with Howard Hubmount and prototype Home Depot headlight with cheap chinese tail/brake/turn/horn/annoy unit as well. Guy's as happy as a teenage boy with money in a cathouse. I gave him a one year on parts and service... I wanna see this succeed. I wanna see this really work for him. He's got a 12 mile round trip daily commute going on, the little beastie ought to handle it well enough :usflag:

IronReborn

Jan 21, 2012
USA

Just the usual maintenance. You know...washing it..hugging it. Haha!

Seriously, I cleaned it today. Now, I don't want to take it out with all the snow.

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina

hey, Anim8r. I think I had the same snowblower. I picked it out of a guy's trash and all it needed was a new rubber gas line. I made a friction drive bike from the engine, I think it was a 3 or 3.5HP Tecumseh 2-stroker with recoil and AC electric start. I took the starter motor off to make it lighter. The engine was strong and pushed the bike pretty good, but I couldn't keep it from burning up my tires. That bike is long gone, but am thinking about making a chain drive bike with the engine. You should be able to get it going if the engine is still sound. A little tip, mine came with a mikuni diaphram carb. If the unit has been sitting for a while the carb will probably need a good cleaning or rebuilt. Kits are cheap and there are instructions for rebuilding online. Other than that, the ignition is CDI so there shouldn't be anything needed there. Good luck and let us know how you come out.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

My new Tanaka 47R engine arrived today! Just as advertised, not a drop of gas or smell of gas.

The next step is to have it ported.xct2

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

One man's junk is another man's treasure! How about a belt drive!

bicycle with 3 hp briggs engine motorized bike 44mph - YouTube 40mph Murray!

I trued a wheel (and tightened it up some more. Ring, Ring, Ring go the spokes now with the guitar pick.) I bolted a milk crate to my Dax drive. It looks like it will work for light cargo (jacket, little tool bag, a few drinks) but its not going to take being loaded to the max like the one on I bolted down to a Wald rack on another bike. Any ideas?
I guess I will just have to use the trailer for real shopping. It's 5 mi to Walmart or Brookshires, so that is feasible.

hey, Anim8r. I think I had the same snowblower. I picked it out of a guy's trash and all it needed was a new rubber gas line. I made a friction drive bike from the engine, I think it was a 3 or 3.5HP Tecumseh 2-stroker with recoil and AC electric start. I took the starter motor off to make it lighter. The engine was strong and pushed the bike pretty good, but I couldn't keep it from burning up my tires. That bike is long gone, but am thinking about making a chain drive bike with the engine. You should be able to get it going if the engine is still sound. A little tip, mine came with a mikuni diaphram carb. If the unit has been sitting for a while the carb will probably need a good cleaning or rebuilt. Kits are cheap and there are instructions for rebuilding online. Other than that, the ignition is CDI so there shouldn't be anything needed there. Good luck and let us know how you come out.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

One man's junk is another man's treasure! How about a belt drive!

bicycle with 3 hp briggs engine motorized bike 44mph - YouTube 40mph Murray!

I trued a wheel (and tightened it up some more. Ring, Ring, Ring go the spokes now with the guitar pick.) I bolted a milk crate to my Dax drive. It looks like it will work for light cargo (jacket, little tool bag, a few drinks) but its not going to take being loaded to the max like the one on I bolted down to a Wald rack on another bike. Any ideas?
I guess I will just have to use the trailer for real shopping. It's 5 mi to Walmart or Brookshires, so that is feasible.
What "key" are your spokes ringing with the guitar pick?

Not making fun. Tension would be perfect and consistent if all the spokes are "on key".

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Since the shifter cable was frayed, I replaced the cable. I also replaced the shifter cable housings(sheaths).

The broken bike chain was also changed, then I made a spare 8mm engine chain.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Not sure the note, really. The non-drive side is lower than the drive side, and the drive side spokes are very close. The cross pattern makes them ring in a couple of notes after picking, like a bell chime. It also rings a little lower pitch after the tire is inflated. I have never bought any of the Park or Wheelsmith fancy tools such as torque wrenches or spoke tensiometers. The best thing you can do is flex the spokes at the cross to measure tension. The wheel should not deform heavily when you put a side load on it (such as pulling 1 v-brake arm against the wheel. If you use rubber coated pliers above the spoke key when truing, you won't get spoke wind up.

What "key" are your spokes ringing with the guitar pick?

Not making fun. Tension would be perfect and consistent if all the spokes are "on key".

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I rode my Tanaka bike to the grocery store today with a trailer. I'm beat!

I somehow got a flat with a kevlar belted tire, but made it to the store with a hand pump and got a tube. hahaha. I saved the other for a patch up spare. Dang wongmart. They are doing better with bike stuff, but still half the time don't stock long-valve 700 or 27" tubes for the bikes they sell (Schwinn and Mongoose hybrids). I keep a supply of valve extenders for dually trucks, that works on shrader valves.

I pulled a fabric kid trailer with a laundry basket, 2 gallons of milk, 1 gal orange juice, 1 gallon rice milk, 1lb broccoli, 12pk beer, cheese, 1L soda, 2lb chicken nuggets, and a red bull. I forgot extra fuel, (oops!) so, even pedaling hard, I had to granny gear the last mile home. hahahaha.

The dip-can filter box will make do till I get parts, but the kitchen pads and lid were WAY too restrictive. It worked ok with the Ace gauze and worm clamp. The walmart workers on break thought it was cool, and cagers were bewildered. They thought I had children in there. I don't see it a crime to ride svc road and backroads with a kid, but I stick to the slow rural routes and parks with my daughter.

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

Put one of my Tanaka 33's on the stand up scooter. Gonna get this thing running again.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

put a 24" tire on the bike, suddenly had issues with the chain jumping off the front and back gears :/

UPDATE! fixed it, somehow i had a stiff link that was causing problems. not sure how it became stiff though, never messed with that chain, kept it well oiled too.

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Can't say I've done anything to the bike directly, at least not recently. But that may change after an income tax refund. I've spent my time researching the properties of various gauges of aluminum, and reading reviews and user instructions on Alumiweld. I've also been plowing through Tinsmith's posts on gas tank construction. I'm thinking seriously about taking the plunge and building myself a bigger, better in-frame tank.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

After replacing two spokes, broken derailleur mount, broken cassette plastic chain guard, broken bicycle chain, worn engine chain, frayed shifter cable & housings, I commuted to work without incident. However, there is a noticeable vibration near the bottom bracket. The bike chain is rubbing against the bent two-legged center stand. I'll remove the stand until I can find a replacement.

The exhaust hose fell off the OEM muffler tip. The tip is about .5" long, hard for the hose to grab. I need to extend the tip to 1" or so.

I can't wait for daylight!xct2