I need help with this one!

GoldenMotor.com

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I am very frustrated t this point

I sealed up the carb just the way Norm describes.

The bike is hard to start once its started it runs great. I tested with WD40 and no changes in idle, when I open the choke completely it does not stall immediately in fact sometime it does not stall at all with the choke open all the way

I have been running the engine at mixture of 32 to 1, I was about to change to 20 to 1. I looked at my plug and it was black and oily

I just changed my carb and intake manfolld to new ones, the old carb was defective.

I will not use the bike to drive to work untill I am sure this is not a vapor leak.

Does anyone have any ideas ? of what is going on with my bike?

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If it will only runs with the choke set to full, it sounds like an air leak somewhere in the fuel system to me.

You did use a new manifold gasket, seal up the tube where the carb attaches, If so I think you might want look a the head gasket and the butt gaskets as well.

I'm sure some of the guys will know more but that is where I would start.

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
No it runs with the choke off too but when I open the choke after it is running for a while the motor does not die down completly. it does make it idle slower.

Yes I used a new gasket, and I checked the head bolts they are thight, they have never come loose.

I was thinking about i wondeer if my new carb lets in too much air through the filter cover, or I am still running too rich?

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Your jetting could be wrong... Does it run good with the choke 1/2 on?
If it runs better with the choke part way on... that means it's starving for fuel.
I had this same problem with a customers bike. After checking EVERYTHING ELSE first... I started drilling the jet a tiny bit at a time and test riding it each time; & it started running a little better every time!!

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
With the motor choked, does it die if you rev it up?

Define "hard to start." are you kick starting, or riding to start? Some motors are finicky with the choke in regards to starting. On my mb, I have to set full choke, and kick it over. It sounds like it's trying to start, but it won't fully come up. Then I set it to just under half choke and kick it again, and it starts. I leave it this way till it's warm.

If I don't do the full choke on the first kick, I have one heck of a hard time starting the bike.

If spraying carb cleaner doesn't change anything, I'd say you don't have a vapor leak.

Also, I'd stick with the 32:1 mix if you're using a good oil. You said the plug was oily and black, have you tried adjusting the E clip on the needle?

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Your jetting could be wrong... Does it run good with the choke 1/2 on?
If it runs better with the choke part way on... that means it's starving for fuel.
I had this same problem with a customers bike. After checking EVERYTHING ELSE first... I started drilling the jet a tiny bit at a time and test riding it each time; & it started running a little better every time!!
I have two other jets one from my old carb and one from the free replacment i will chang it tonight I think you hit the needle on the head!

Do you think I shound change the needle too?

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
With the motor choked, does it die if you rev it up?

Define "hard to start." are you kick starting, or riding to start? Some motors are finicky with the choke in regards to starting. On my mb, I have to set full choke, and kick it over. It sounds like it's trying to start, but it won't fully come up. Then I set it to just under half choke and kick it again, and it starts. I leave it this way till it's warm.

If I don't do the full choke on the first kick, I have one heck of a hard time starting the bike.

If spraying carb cleaner doesn't change anything, I'd say you don't have a vapor leak.

Also, I'd stick with the 32:1 mix if you're using a good oil. You said the plug was oily and black, have you tried adjusting the E clip on the needle?
I am riding it to satrt it anew carb my old one was defective presently i was running at beak in level 20 to 1 I am going to get a new bach of gas to today at 32 to 1

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
you are way past anything I know so I'm going to wish you luck and slip away. Good luck hope you find an answer let us know what finally does it.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Well, since you said it runs great once it's running I doubt you have a big issue, and I personally doubt it's the jet. Your jet size only really matters at WOT. But by all means, test it and you'll have something else to possibly eliminate. The fewer variables, the easier it is to test :)

What is your starting routine, and what do you mean by hard to start?

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well, since you said it runs great once it's running I doubt you have a big issue, and I personally doubt it's the jet. Your jet size only really matters at WOT. But by all means, test it and you'll have something else to possibly eliminate. The fewer variables, the easier it is to test :)

What is your starting routine, and what do you mean by hard to start?

It used to start up by peadling acpouple of feet and just pop the clutch and away you go!

But now it I have to try for aleast 5 to ten minutes just to start it then I have to give it some gas to get it going up to an idle speed.

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I moved the clip on the needle to the top slot and it was even harder to start, so i moved down to the secdond from the bottom and it was a little easer to start now i double cheked my gas line.

i moved the clip to the very bottom of the needle i will see if that deos the trick,

I also double check my gas line for any kinks, I still have to give it some gas to get it started.:(

the only other thing i can think of is that the bowl on the carb is not filling up enough!:eek:

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Moved the clip to the bottom position on the needle and that sis the trick it started up immediately without giving any gas.

Norm would know so now I am running rich because the further down the clip the higher the needle is. My gut tells me that the bowl is not filling up enough...

I think that the spring loaded thing that comes up into the brass nipple that the gas line is attached to is stuck. i will take a look after work but i think will ride it for now.

The big question should i ride it to work in the morning 6 miles each way? :bike2:

Otherwise the bike is running very well.

Last edited:

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
Yea I know this is a dumb question but since you say it used to start after a couple of feet and now it doesnt. Did you by chance add a head light or anything to the white wire?? Get it out and tape it over and make sure it is not connected to anything. Then try starting it.
Terry

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yea I know this is a dumb question but since you say it used to start after a couple of feet and now it doesnt. Did you by chance add a head light or anything to the white wire?? Get it out and tape it over and make sure it is not connected to anything. Then try starting it.
Terry

No new stuff added exept for the carb and intake manafold I have it running very well now but... The need is set witrh the clip on the bottom postion.

So i then the bowl ont the carb is not filling up compleatly.... Now that it runs well I just want to ride it like I stole it ^5

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
here is my 2-cents the engine ran fine then it takes a nose dive you had to richen it up on the needle. and now it working great again, so your riding it.

What made it change? Could it be dirt in the mainjet or dirt in the float needle? dirt in the fuel tanks screen, all can starve the engine for fuel.
so your motoring along free as a bird and that little peice of what ever comes loose now you have a overly rich engine and you may be able to ride it home or you may have to pedal it.

I would find out just what is the problem then go for the rides, so you won't have to wonder when it going to act up again.

then ride it like you stole it.(^)

your the guy I made the intake for? you might be running low on fuel as that intake would make my carb sit at an angle so you might need to adjust the float so the float lets in more fuel or it could be the float is sticking in the closed position if it keeps acting up I'll have to redo that carbs intake manifold. I remember your picture looked like the carb was sitting at mostly level in the pictures.

Last edited: