hello all, from Kentucky

GoldenMotor.com

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
hey friends, greetings. im from eastern ky, got into these bikes to fight gas prices. so far i've built 3. two are 2 strokers, 1 is a 4 stroke. found out how much fun it is to ride again after many years. will try to up some pics..

the third picture shows a brace i added to all my bikes after experiencing problems with the motor mounts. the mounts are located below the sprocket so the sprocket torque gets a leverage effect and puts a lot of strain on the mounts. the upper brace compensates for the torque and relieves the strain on the lower motor mounts. i've had good luck with this setup and no longer worry about the mounts.

Attachments

Last edited:

tylden

Jul 2, 2008
Welcome to the forum. It's nice to see others from Kentucky here :) I live in Frankfort and I'm working on my first build.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Greetings from Southern Ohio

That torque bar is quite interesting. I'm guessing that since most motorized bikes kits in the past have had 50cc or less in mind to be copliant with many of the states laws here, and affordability in their country of origin (where grown men often weigh less than 110 lbs) that there hadn't been too much of a problem with frame stress vectors. But looking at what you have makes perfect sense to me.

Alot of guys here are wanting larger motors and they would be wise to consider the structures they are installing them in. Afterall these bikes were designed to be human powered. The vibration of a motor mounted directly on welded tubing should bear watching for cracks with occasional inspections.

Welcome to the board Shiloh0 !

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
hey eDJ, thanks for the welcome. what you said makes sense, at 49cc prolly not the same torque stress as the case with bigger bores. another thing i noticed is that just a little off-centering of the wheel sprocket amplifies the stress on the mounts. i made a little centering tool like they use to install transmission pumps on certain ford trannys. maybe the single most important step for longetivity is to get it perfect.