Hi performance plug wire(stock)

GoldenMotor.com

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
Here's my latest high performance mod. It keeps the stock plug wire cap snug against the plug. No more misfires when the wire vibrates and the connection gets weak.

Attachments

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
In case you cant tell, this is meant to be practical and humorous. It is a piece of furniture foam wedged between the frame and the plug wire. It actually works.

Go ahead and post your funny or weird solutions to problems with stock parts. Lack of asthetics is a plus.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
And if the motor really gets to viabrating at its particular dialed in RPM,it wont scratch the paint on the top bar w/the plug

Bob Mac 18704

Jan 24, 2010
penna.
If this is indeed what you are doing then you've been misinformed about the install of the plug wire. On the top of the plug is a barrel shaped threaded nut. For some unknown reason they have these crimped on. You must unscrew this nut from the plug with a pair of pliers. put the plug in a vise and be careful not to break the white insulator. once you have the nut off, put the plug into the cap taking notice that the little spring thing grabs the threads on top of the plug. Your plug wire should never fall off if this is done. Then proceed to put the plug back in the bike. Hope this helps

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
If this is indeed what you are doing then you've been misinformed about the install of the plug wire. On the top of the plug is a barrel shaped threaded nut. For some unknown reason they have these crimped on. You must unscrew this nut from the plug with a pair of pliers. put the plug in a vise and be careful not to break the white insulator. once you have the nut off, put the plug into the cap taking notice that the little spring thing grabs the threads on top of the plug. Your plug wire should never fall off if this is done. Then proceed to put the plug back in the bike. Hope this helps
That's good sound advice for installing the plug and wire. I assure you, it doesnt need a chunk of foam to stay on.

The problem I wanted to solve is that even installed correctly, there is some wiggle in the cap. When vibrations are just right, the threads on the cap can float enough to cause misfiring. It runs smoother with some pressure on the cap and wasnt expensive.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
That's good sound advice for installing the plug and wire. I assure you, it doesnt need a chunk of foam to stay on.

The problem I wanted to solve is that even installed correctly, there is some wiggle in the cap. When vibrations are just right, the threads on the cap can float enough to cause misfiring. It runs smoother with some pressure on the cap and wasnt expensive.
my cap stays on in my case and fits stug . i try not to be pulling the cap off too much . because i think the threads on the plug would wear down the snug fit ,, i just woder if i up grade to an dfferent wire size and cap .. if the crown that most mowers , cars , motorcycles , ect . would make an big improvement ?

Last edited:

TehInteractive

Apr 29, 2010
Wisconsin
That's cute. I just decided to do away with mine after my bike broke down on me twice due to the boot. It fits more snug now than the day I bought it.

Then I added some red electrical tape to make it match my carb. Plus it adds 10 extra horsepower.

The wire literally threads into the spark plug.

Attachments

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
That's cute. I just decided to do away with mine after my bike broke down on me twice due to the boot. It fits more snug now than the day I bought it.

Then I added some red electrical tape to make it match my carb. Plus it adds 10 extra horsepower.

The wire literally threads into the spark plug.
see,,he bent his spark plug over so the wire would reach,there's all kinds of fixes
xct2

lol

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Go to any auto parts store and buy a good quality automotive spark plug boot. Solder the plug wire to the metal contact inside the boot and use a standard spark plug with the cap left on. Now you can throw away the furniture foam and stop worrying about the plug wire vibrating loose.
Tom