where can I get a 26" 3 speed wheel?

GoldenMotor.com

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
$93.00 wow! It has a coaster brake. I don't think you can have a coaster brake with the front freewheel that comes with the jackshaft?

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
$93.00 wow! It has a coaster brake. I don't think you can have a coaster brake with the front freewheel that comes with the jackshaft?
I have 4 of them here at the shop that do not have coaster brakes...It doesn't matter if you do use the coaster brake version hub...it won't wear out!

The SRAM I-motion hubs are tough, and proven to hold up to an engine.

Have fun Toker!

Jim

Last edited:

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
I have 4 of them here at the shop that do not have coaster brakes...It doesn't matter if you do use the coaster brake version hub...it won't wear out!

The SRAM I-motion hubs are tough, and proven to hold up to an engine.

Have fun Toker!

Jim
Jim,

A 3 speed hub good enough for a jack shaft? or should it be more than 3 speed to fully utilized the jack shaft kit.
Just asking

Thanks,
Ron

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I think 3 speeds is perfect really! it would require the right ratios but I think even 2 speeds would be cool.
Thing is I don't mind having all those speeds (9) and I can utilize them. But I think a lot of people don't have nearly the time in the saddle that some of us have and a lot of them don't want to deal w/ all those gears. 2 or 3 is all you need for most places. A lo med hi or xlo lo med or med hi xhi, and so on. I live in Seattle and we're comparable w/ San Francisco on hills (and coffee consumption); if it works here should work anyware.
If you think about your 1 speed, if it was a 2, that would be cool.

jdcburg

Jul 9, 2009
massachusetts
Hi toker - In the 60s-70s, lots of bikes had 3 speed axles. You can find them on freecycle, craigslist and tag sales if you want to go cheap as an experiment. I found a matched his n hers and put a rear on the front of the other to make my fwd ebike. The only problem is the steel wheel rim brakes have terrible braking characteristics when wet. Not good for Seattle - jd

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
The only thing is that the gears on say an 8 speed freewheel is...They are so close together.Its kinda like a semi-truck.I talked to Jim at SBP"S and he said he shifts two gears at a time.I'm running a rapid fire shifter and I think the twist grip shifter would be bettter. I'm just leary of a bicycle gears that use a derailler. Maybe because I've never had any luck as a kid with gears working properly. I've learned alot lately. I'm determined to get it right. Like I said before, everything is perfect except for the chain jumping in my low gears.

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
There are big differences between 3 speed hubs. the model Sram hub that Jim has is different than other Sram hubs and much stronger in design than all others including other srams.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Jim,

A 3 speed hub good enough for a jack shaft? or should it be more than 3 speed to fully utilized the jack shaft kit.
Just asking

Thanks,
Ron
I built and sold a bike w/ a shift kit and 3 speed hub and built one with a shift kit and 7 speed derailer. In my humble opinion, any more gears than 3 is more than you'll need, owever, a rear wheel w/ derailer is much less expensive and easier to come by than a 3 speed hub.

Oh, and btw, the bike I built had a 3 speed Shimano Nexus hub. The hub didn't last a week before it turned to mush. If the Sram I-motion 3-speed hub is as good as people here have said, and you can afford it, I'd go with that!

Last edited:

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
Didn't last a week huh? Thats good to know. I guess I'll stick with the derailler for now.Heck, I'm $100 out! It works great. I just need to get some comfidence in derailler's.

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
I think 3 gears is enough. Right now I have 7 on my freewheel and you need to shift 2 gears at a time. The gears are so close together. Also, I've been told the sturmey's don't hold up good at all. Jim at creative enginering told me the sram i-motion is the best. If jim say's it I beleive it! So, thats why I went with the sram.