Kit No. 2

GoldenMotor.com

moosinatrix

Sep 2, 2009
Houston, TX
Hey guys! It Has been a while since I have posted here so today im gonna do a double post. :p

So any of you who have conversed with me in the past know my first kit was a RAW 80/66cc kit.
The RAW kit Worked great but didnt hold up to my riggorous testing! lol

The RAW kit had crappy hardware nd bolts were breaking left and right. And in the process of building the kit, the shaft behind the clutch sprocket fell out and I lost the bearing that fits behind it (before I actually new the internals of these kits) making it extremely hard to pull the clutch lever.

Well i ordered a new kit from eBay it was a BGF 80/66cc. Its nicer then the RAW and cost less!!!
First thing I looked at when i got the kit was the Hardware on it. All the screw that hold the side covers on are higher grade No. 3 Phillips head/flat head, the rest of the hardware was higher grade as well! (I didn't break any bolts while installing the sprocket!!!!)

Which brings me to my next question, a 41t sprocket will give me a higher top speed then a 44t right??? Or am I thinking backwards??

Anyways The motor has been started and i must say it sounds alot healthier then the RAW as well as a lot quieter. On the RAW kit both the intake manifold mounting bracket and the muffler mounting bracket had a lip that shrank the ID of the ports far more then they should so i had to grind them down a bit, whereas this ws not necessary on the new BGF kit.

Also wanted to double check my math, a 16:1 break-in ratios is 8 oz. of oil to the gallon of gas right??
Anyways i will post some pics As soon as possible!

If anyone has any tips or comments/ questions about the builds feel free to post!

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I agree with you,the raw kit I have has about 200 miles on it and it sounds really crappy compared to the black 66cc of mine that runs much smoother.
You might consider 24:1 for the break in period as well (your choice) (^)

moosinatrix

Sep 2, 2009
Houston, TX
well after 16:1 break-in i plan to run 32:1 for a little extra power without tearing up the engine, I remember someone on here was running 32:1 and said his kit was doing great.

after break-in im gonna make a boost bottle for it (found the formula to make it the proper size)

also i would like to get my hands on a nice carb, tuned exhaust and v-stack for this kit. anyone know where i can find such things for insanely cheap prices??

Edit:

also i read somewhere that for break in you should follow this method..

1st tank = 1/4 throttle (no WOT)
2nd Tank = 1/2 throttle (no WOT)
3rd Tank = 3/4 throttle (short bursts of 3-4 sec. WOT)
4th tank = 3/4 throttle (longer bursts of 6-8 sec WOT)

is all this really necessary and if not how should i properly break in my motor??

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
well after 16:1 break-in i plan to run 32:1 for a little extra power without tearing up the engine, I remember someone on here was running 32:1 and said his kit was doing great.

after break-in im gonna make a boost bottle for it (found the formula to make it the proper size)

also i would like to get my hands on a nice carb, tuned exhaust and v-stack for this kit. anyone know where i can find such things for insanely cheap prices??

Edit:

also i read somewhere that for break in you should follow this method..

1st tank = 1/4 throttle (no WOT)
2nd Tank = 1/2 throttle (no WOT)
3rd Tank = 3/4 throttle (short bursts of 3-4 sec. WOT)
4th tank = 3/4 throttle (longer bursts of 6-8 sec WOT)

is all this really necessary and if not how should i properly break in my motor??
I don't think you need to fool with all that. I just run it and vary the speed some... open it up some, run it easy, run it hard, mostly just run it. For mix I used to go 50-1 with Amsoil sabre professional, now around 80-1 with the Opti 2 and once run awhile I run it at 100-1 Opti 2. No problems. Everybody has their own opinion on this. Personally I'll go with Opti-2 from now on.
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
really??? 100:1???? how long have you been running that mix?? no seizures or anything???
I've been running Opti 2 for several months now. Keep in mind when you hear ratios all over the place that one kind of oil is not the same as another. See what the manufacturer of the 2 cycle oil recommends. Amsoil is a synthetic and there are different types of Amsoil. Some use Amsoil Injector and others use Amsoil Sabre Professional. Some don't like synthetics, some rave about Opti-2 which is a newer type of oil. it can be confusing. Do some research for yourself and then make a decision.
SB

moosinatrix

Sep 2, 2009
Houston, TX
will do. but i have a problem with my new motor :(

i was riding it around to break it in just now. I wasnt getting on it or anything, i slowly give it more throttle as it accelerated and only used WOT for short periods of time. It's still on its first tank. well last night it ran fine and idled fine, now its really hard to start, and when i do finally get it started, if i let it idle it will suddnely die.
not bog out but just stopp altogether, i tried raising the idle some but it still does it.

i pulled the plug out and check for spark and it seems like its not sparking as often as it should. any ideas???

Edit: Problem solved! The rotor on the magneto came apart and the magnets were destroyed on one side. i just took the one off my RAW engine and now its good as new. Damn ****ty china craftsmanship!

Last edited: