48cc vs. 69cc.

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Hi everyone. I'm currently running a 69cc engine kit. Gives me nothing but problems. Plus I'm pretty sure it's not legal here. (Ontario) So my question is, should I buy a 48cc kit? What will I notice as differences, with build and ride? How reliable is a 48cc compared to a 69cc? Mine is not reliable at all. I break down almost every day. Literally. I need help in my decision, I love the engine and all, but I'm thinkin I should get a 48cc. What do you think? Will I end up with just as many problems? Thanks. You can see my bike here... Pictures by ADDICTED-BICYCLE-CUSTOMS - Photobucket

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
What kind of problems are you having?

If they are little things, you can be sure that you'll get that from any of them................remember, these things are made in China..........not exactly the kind of quality we (the U.S.A.) would produce.

I had to fiddle with something that wasn't right, it seemed, almost everyday for a month and a half. Now, it's only once in a great while, that I actually have to fix something on it.

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
I've had little and big problems. From stripped hardware, to broken bottom bearings, to blown mag, to snapped frame, everything. Clutch lock pin popped out while riding. Snapped two chains, air leak, (can't find it) fender failure, (wrapped around tire) chain this, chain that, you name it, it's happened.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Yeah, you shouldn't have bearing problems, but the rest of it seems common enough.

Fenders have to be beefed up with stronger supports and elbow brackets. The chains can be rid of the master links and put together without them for a stronger hold (that's what I did).

Stripped hardware is common because it's made with American scrap metal filtered through Chinese noodles so yeah, it strips easy.

The clutch lock pin.....you mean on the clutch handle? Those clutch handles are junk. Expect them to brake or crack, and give you a headache.

Basically, any of these engines should be upgraded with better parts.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Don't go smaller unless you positively have to. Remember the saying "There's no replacement for displacement"

All of the problems you're stating can happen with any size china girl motor.

Biggest thing is make sure your sprocket is straight and upgrade to the #41 chain, once I did that to mine almost all of my problems disappeared.

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
In defence of the 48cc, both i have do not vibrate at all so bolts dont vibrate loose, make your own idler out of a skate wheel get a good chain get it straight and true and you can forget about it.
Get new studs spring washer and loctite em, the motor wont move.
No leaks! Make youself new intake and exhaust gaskets.
Touch wood i have not done anything to my bike for 3 weeks maybe more just fuel.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
ive never realy had a problem...like these guys said make sure your chainS are tentionsed correctly...dont worry about loctite...use nylock nuts or swish nuts...niether will loosen cause of vibration...and by the way... any motor mounting problems that you might have on either the seat tube or the forward tube can be caused by the cheap china made bracket that comes with the motor....replace these with electrical conduit straps...

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
what are electrical conduit straps? Where would I get those? How do they work? You've got my attention. Lol, I'm about to rebuild on another bike, was gonna drill frame, if I don't need to, please inform me! Thanks

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
I think he means plumbers tape, steel tape with holes in it for hanging pipe. Old school its called plumbers tape but it might have a fancy name now.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Stripped hardware is common because it's made with American scrap metal filtered through Chinese noodles so yeah, it strips easy.
Stripped hardware is common because noobs don't know about stubby rachets and thread locker. Also note that mounting straps made of thin metal are asking for trouble.

There's nothing wrong with stock chinese hardware if installed properly. Of course patriots and profiteers will disagree. :)

Reel Adventure

Jul 1, 2009
wilmington nc
Stripped hardware is common because noobs don't know about stubby rachets and thread locker. Also note that mounting straps made of thin metal are asking for trouble.

There's nothing wrong with stock chinese hardware if installed properly. Of course patriots and profiteers will disagree. :)
I knew we would disagree sooner or later! :)

I have only had issues so far with the exhaust threads. Barley even had it hand tight before it stripped. :)

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I have only had issues so far with the exhaust threads. Barley even had it hand tight before it stripped. :)
Yeah... hand tight with a 2 foot pipe on the wrench! :)

I'm sure it can happen, just not with the 40 some kits I've done from half dozen different vendors once I stopped with the death grip. Probably 100k miles accumulated with no sheared or loose bolts.

I did get a couple cock-eyed nuts recently but just replaced them with new ones out of the bag from McMaster. About two cents ea.. My point is once things are reasonably tight then with threadlock and double nut they're unlikely to ever come loose or shear.

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
I got my kit as cheap as they come and started out with all kinds of problems and def. expect many more. As I get some experience with these bikes problems are decreasing in a huge way. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and inventive. Definitely need to be inventive with these things.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
2 hole conduit straps

Range in size from 1/2" to over 3"

Found in the electrical aisle in HD, Lowes or your local hardware store.