hi new here, does anyone know if you can grind out part of the bottom engine mount

GoldenMotor.com

FreeToRoam

Sep 22, 2014
Clyde Ohio
I just bought a 66 cc kit and was hoping to fit it on my genesis that has rear suspension. The spring only takes up the back three inches or so im planning on making custom mounts for the back its going t be very tight though and i was wondering if anyone knows how thick the steel is on the bottom mount before you break through. I havent had my motor apart yet yo i have no idea. I'm thinking i may have to grind out some metal or drill and tap the middle of the bottom mount. any help would be greatly appreciated ill try to post pics with progress if it works out.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Re: hi new here, does anyone know if you can grind out part of the bottom engine moun

Welcome to the forum, you have a challenge ahead of you! I'm not saying it can't be done but a rear suspension bike is a tough first build, good luck. The studs screw out so if you can make a mounting plate you can bolt it on.

FreeToRoam

Sep 22, 2014
Clyde Ohio
Re: hi new here, does anyone know if you can grind out part of the bottom engine moun

Thanx Itll be pretty tigh but i think it will work i have an adaptor plate that came with the kit but i would lose about an inch if i go that route Im hoping i can tap the middle of the botom mount and maybe remove a little metal if necessary to make it fit it looks like there isnt anything there except a couple bolts that hol the housing together so i should be good if i stop short of them.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Welcome to the community.
The reason Greg warns about a rear suspension bike is that as the rear wheel moves, up or down, that will loosen or tighten the engine drive chain. That can be a real problem. You want constant tension on the chain. Not too tight and not too loose. Most builders shy away from a bike with rear suspension for that reason. Not saying it can't be done but just making you aware of the challenge.

Good luck. Maybe post some pictures of your bike and we might be able to offer more advice on engine mounting.

Tom

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

Welcome to the community.
The reason Greg warns about a rear suspension bike is that as the rear wheel moves, up or down, that will loosen or tighten the engine drive chain.
Tom
Yep.
Unless you want to make some sort of super responsive HD spring based tensioner or get your output gear in direct alignment with the pedal sprocket, your drive train will be constant source of frustration.

The best way I know is to jackshaft the engine over to the pedal side that is already designed to work with the soft tail and use it.

Might as well use gears that way too.

Though considerably more expensive, in a soft tail with center cavity intrusion an electric is ideal.
The same operation as a jackshaft just without the shaft as the motor output is right there.

Many options, just beware the issues with direct drive on a soft tail.