Want to build my own Derringer

GoldenMotor.com

Fatandre

Dec 1, 2013
Poland
Hi Guys.

I want to build my own derringer. Maybe you could help. I just love the look of them so much, but the price is way to high for me.

What engine are they running?

What frame is this?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hi Guys.

I want to build my own derringer. Maybe you could help. I just love the look of them so much, but the price is way to high for me.

What engine are they running?

What frame is this?
The motor that Derringer uses is a 49 cc 4 stroke Huasheng which is a clone of a Honda GXH 50

They are building or modifying a beach cruiser frame with a welded in flat engine mount and gun shaped drop outs.

The tank is off a General moped.

You could use a lot of beach cruiser frames to make a similar bike.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
(grins) That 4-stroke engine looks to me like it is sitting on the red shelf under the work bench not on the red bike, or a photshop mock-up from a pic of the motor on the shelf and then dropped in the pic of the bike.

I guess he wanted to see how it looked but I can see right now that engine is way bigger than it looks in that pic and that red bottom mount plate is the bottom shelving you may have thought was a mount base.

I don't see a gas tank either.

But back to your post topic...

"Want to build my own Derringer"

A Derringer to me is a tiny pistol but I get the jest of the style of bike you are after.

Something like a 2-stroke chopper?

Or more like a retro board tracker with a 4-stroke?

That is a really old style Korean War M.A.S.H. era build but that is just the decoration.

What is important is you budget and needs.

1. Figure out how much you have to spend, then pick the bike for your needs first for the best daily riding experience for the practicality and comfort of it, as it usually sucks picking a bike you have never even rode around first because it 'looks cool' and be stuck with how to motorize it and a miserable riding experience just so you 'look cool'.

2. What is your stature? Meaning weight, inseam, strength to pick the thing up, and ability to pedal dead weight or pull a pull starter.

3. What is your mechanical skill level and tools?
For example are you kid whose tools can fit in a small box and usually grab a crest wrench or pliers for most jobs?
Or are you mechanically inclined with ample tools and mechanical know-how?

You will see your power plant and bicycle options are narrowed down by a bunch to make how to proceed much easier.

If you start with those answers first you can build something you are proud of and enjoy riding within your budget and skill level.

Or not, that's just the questions I ask all my custom build customers first to fit their needs is all.

Fatandre

Dec 1, 2013
Poland
I see where you are going.
I guess for now my budget is 1500-2000
I am going for the look of the Derringer.
I am quite fit. 180 cm and weight 75 kg. I ride a normal bike a lot.
Its just I want a cool thing that looks and works

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
(grins) That 4-stroke engine looks to me like it is sitting on the red shelf under the work bench not on the red bike, or a photshop mock-up from a pic of the motor on the shelf and then dropped in the pic of the bike.

I guess he wanted to see how it looked but I can see right now that engine is way bigger than it looks in that pic and that red bottom mount plate is the bottom shelving you may have thought was a mount base.

I don't see a gas tank either.

need glasses or are you drunk this early in the morning? ;) laff

The huasheng motor is sitting on the welded in motor mount plate in the custom Derringer frame.
The motor is Not on the work bench shelf.
It is not a photoshop mock up.

Gas tank is not on the unfinished bike so that's why you don't see it.

www.facebook.com/DerringerCycles

They look like this......

Fatandre

Dec 1, 2013
Poland
you are right.
Its just easy to get something done, but I value my money so I will probably just build it. Thing is I just love the details on the derringer bikes