Flew through my gas tank

GoldenMotor.com

cartisdm

Oct 8, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I filled my tank about 2/3rds full, assuming that would last me a good while.....that was Monday. I ran out of gas Friday. I don't ride that much, maybe like a total of 5 miles. The weather here is very cold (if that makes a difference), I hit a good amount of hills, but I generally try to help pedal if the motor struggles at all.

What adjustments should I make? The stupid cheap casing for the throttle cable broke apart on me already so I have it all taken apart anyway so I might as well tweak the rest of the bike.:rolleyes:

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
My first thought would be hose clamps on your fuel line and make sure you shut off the fuel valve when not running. There is no way you could have burned that much fuel in 5 miles. Was it left anywhere where some dweeb could have drained it by any chance?

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Now THAT makes sense. 3/4 full in that tank is still less than 1/2 a gallon in fact I think it's closer to 1/4 of a gallon. Even if you went 40 miles total depending on actual capacity that puppy is getting between 100 and 160 mpg.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I just went thru a whole tank in 2 weeks of just nightly riding around 2 blocks. Maybe 3/4 mile each ride around =1-1/2mi per night x 14 days= 21 miles per 1/2 gal. not near 150 mpg.
Carb needle at top notch and still 4 cycles.

cartisdm

Oct 8, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
The casing on the throttle cable completely fell apart on me already. I was surprised it only took two weeks, but that's probably because I keep it outside (under a tarp). I went to the bike shop and replaced it with a higher quality and while I was at it I completely greased up the throttle, cable chain, and re-ran the cable. MUCH BETTER is all I can say. Plus I moved my washer thingy on the pin in the carburetor, so now its on the second from the top notch. My engine runs a lot lot lot better. I think it was a combination of all of those, I couldn't believe it.