Build Off (Amateur)

GoldenMotor.com

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
To all who say NO RULES,
I am guesing you either have no kids/obligations, Or a Job that pays a whole **** of alot of money.
I make enough to keep me and my kids fed and entertained. I have a beer budget, and I know it.

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
Sorry gadget, it was me... lost the whole spirit of my original idea with this... will try to gather some support and help from people who want to see this happen and we can have our contest... and yes i have kids, and no i dont make a heck of alot of money... thats what led me to the idea to start with, just got so much un needed and un supportive feedback here the frustration led to my NO RULES comment. will look past that now and create a fun contest for people like us... by the way your bike was done very well for what you are working with and is exactly what i was thinking about in my original post...great job there!

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
So, with no rules anyone can enter, there is no deadline no budget constraint, 2 stroke, four stroke, electric, steam, anything. Here's the problem. When the rustoration build off happened on a lark there were basically three of us and the build off followed our progress from beginning to end. And by the end there were some 45 pages in there if I remember right. Something like that. It is of epic length and there were just three of us. There's a lot of good information in that thread, but who wants to wade through it all? What if there had been 25 of us and with no particular theme... (in our case, rusty old cruisers)? it is like when you do a google search or you're looking for something on ebay. Too general and the hits are too many. It needs to be more defined or it is unmanageable. If it is super loose, with no deadline how is it essentially different from the ongoing submissions of people's builds? In a sense this whole forum is a build off. I'm not saying don't do one as it can be a lot of fun, but I am suggesting giving more thought to make it less open ended. Maybe go back to your original idea of a price ceiling, but then you have to figure what to do about something that a person doesn't have to buy... the value of an engine or bike given to them, or parts they had already. I don't know, just some things to think about. If you want a contest, just do it. See who's in and who isn't. I don't think you particularly want 250 people in a build off. Think about it. Like inviting 250 people to dinner. Might not be fun after all when five for dinner would have been great. The more is not necessarily the merrier.
SB

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
My suggestion is to please everyone. No, not all at once, but one category at a time. And we have already chosen the categories in our forum. Board trackers, trikes, DIY, etc etc. Choose one at a time and eventually we all get a chance to participate. Maybe vote on the first contest and put a deadline on sign ups. The rest should be easy to figure out and the contests would be ongoing maybe for years while everyone not in the current race would just continue with their regular builds waiting for their chance to compete.

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
Well thanks for the for the input SB and msrfan , was about to abandon the idea altogether but if done right these little competitions could be alot of fun and provide a nice place for all to showcase their builds.... was away for awhile (work) but back home now and catching up on important stuff like bikes :) will give it some more thought and hopefully get some more input, then maybe we can put something together... maybe i will try and come up with a starting point on the rules and then we can adjust from there, if you guys think its worthwhile....

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
David D.
Thanks for the compliment to an ameture.
One thing I disslike about forums, is that good people forget what a melting pot it is.
I am sorry that I sounded so rude. Everyone has input here.
You, and others should read about my new bike... This is bike number 2 for me and the kids.. although they did not help with this one. Even my wife was afraid to break my concentration, knowing I was in the ZONE.

Click Here. $150 MotorBike.

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/150-motorbike-25262.html