Flatless Tires or tubes ????

GoldenMotor.com

MarkTur

May 23, 2008
for me? Nope. My rear tire is PERFECT the way it is...

I was thinking about the previous post of "squirrelly"...I had that feeling too, thinking I was underinflated in the rear...but lo and behold, my rear cones were loose! This will let the wheel shift horizontally to the hub, giving you that feeling, too. (I also thought it was coming from my suspension seatpost, which allows a bit of side-to-side rotation. I found out that it was purposefully made like that to support wider seats so pedalling doesn't rash you up.)

Anyway, it's easy to check the cones for the correct tightness. With the bike standing up, try to push the tire as if you're trying to push it off the rim. Just use a finger or two...and watch the hub. You'll immediately see it if it's loose. If it IS loose, well, now's a perfect time to re-lube the bearings. NOT A HARD JOB if you invest in a couple of cheap cone wrenches.

Anyway, hope that helps.
Mark

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi guys, well I had a very bad experiance with one "airless tire" and am not soon to get on another bike with those on it.

A customer brought me 2 bikes to upgrade, and to test. I installed the peanut tank, drilled, and installed a new fuel line to go into the GEBE Robin/subaru belt-drive rack system. He also wanted to have twist type throttles, and a general once-over including replacing the Knob he had lost on the engagement lever.

The bike was a new Townie, with the derailer. All is well except that tire, he had special wheel work done (looked like 105 stainless spokes into a black alloy rim), I rode around the block twice (only), the rear end of the bike felt VERY squirley, like riding a snake! I entered my court, and during the turn-around at the end , very slow, maybe 5 mph, maybe less the bike gave a shuddering squiggle and spit that tire right off the rim, running his new black alloy on old crummy, rocky pavement!

I carried the bike the 150 feet home so as to not further damage the rim. After getting the other bike a new GT running, I only went straight up, and straight back the court, not much of a test!

From what I experianced that day, I will never own, nor sell the airless products.

Mike

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Replacing Kedna 26X2.225 whitewalls with NMF 26X2.00

The first thing I do is use one zip tie to get started...

Then just with my hands I mount tire as far as possible then zip tie...

Now I use a screwdriver to start to pry the tire on...It's real easy now, it will get harder and harder

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
The closer the tire get's...the harder it will be. And the more zip ties you will need.

You need to be careful! You want to pry hard enough to mount the tire. But not so hard you damage or bend the wheel.

Almost on...one more pry.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Now the tire is on the wheel...we have to get the sidewall to pop in.

Now I use the screwdriver to push the sidewall into the wheel. Do this on both side's and all the way around...

The sidewall is starting to go in...

This is what it should look like on both sides and all the way around when it is mounted right..

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
It rides okay and feels great....Now that I have both the tire's mounted. I think the funny feeling I was getting was going from the balloon tires to the NMF.

Because with both NMF it feels alot better. I have not had time to go on a long ride yet...will keep you posted on how it does.
:bike2:

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
You Guys did a fantastic job! Now one minor little thing you might want to try next time you mount a tire like that or any tire for that matter is cheap dish washing soap. It works wonders. Mix it 2/3 soap 1/3 water in a squirt bottle and see if it don't make the job a little easyer. Wash the soap away with a garden hose and let dry. And while your at it might just as well check those wheel bearings for grease. Don't take that much longer and it will give you pride in the long run knowing you did it right! Later Tramp(c)

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I find it much easier to mount the NMF tire then the NMF tube. The NMF tube took at least 15-20 minutes each tube. The tire took like 6 minutes each tire.

I went for a 15 mile ride this morning with the NMF tire's. It did very well, plenty of traction on and off road. Did not feel the tire "fold" like it was going to fold off the wheel.

Did not have that flat tire feeling as much as I did with just the front tire on. And had no squirrelly feeling.

So far I'm liking it...I'm using a 26X2.00 on my motorized bicycle. The NMF tire is a 26X2.00 but is much smaller. If I were to use the NMF on my motorized bike I would want a bigger tire, and more of a "street" tread.

I'm going to get some mile's and time on the NMF tire before I decide to get some for my motorized bicycle. But as of right now they seem like they would work just great on a motorized bicycle.
:ride:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I had the day off today so I went for a 35 mile ride on my pedal bike this morning.

The NMF front tire now makes a squashing sound in one spot on the tire. I now also have some resistance in pedaling now. You can really notice it when trying to coast down hill.

And I took a fall in a parking lot making a sharp turn. The tire started to come off the wheel in one spot. Took a good look at it and it seems to be mounted fine :confused:

After today.....there is no way I would mount a NMF tire to my Motorized Bicycle..:(

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Update: I've got about a total of 50-55 miles on the NMF tires now and it has not improved.

Front tire still making annoying sound and I always feel like I am pedaling up hill, I am not liking them at all.

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
I wonder if the NMF tires hold on to the rims as well as the NMF tubes with regular tires??? Also, how well is the turning grip on pavement with the NMF tires?

I used the NMF tubes with Kevlar air tires with a 6.5HP tricycle for a friend (20" wheels, plastic rims)
He wore the tires so bald, and they still ride fine!!!

I also use them on my motored 26" bike, and they work well. They ride better and bounce less than air tires. They are heavier and have more resistance than air tires. That's fine for a motoredbike. I do agree that they make it harder without an engine though. After getting multiple flats on air tires, I swear by the no-more-flats for the bike. I can ride so much further worry-free now! I've taken them over 45mph with no issues.

I also have a set of 10" 4.10x3.50 Marathon Flat-Free tires on the 6.5HP bike trailer as well. They are solid foam and wear slow, and bounce less. They also grip less than a rubber tread, but for a trailer, that actually makes it easier to ride and make sharp turns and tears up the tires less.

I was considering switching from my NMF tubes and regular tires to a solid foam NMF tire, but ONLY if it grips well like rubber because I go fast on turns and need the front to hold on. Being that my foam tires on my trailer grip less than rubber tires, I'm considering staying with my rubber tires with NMF tubes for my bike.

NO FLATS EVER HAHAHA!!!

Last edited:

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
So I wish I knew where to get some good wheel's...I'm using my old beat-up wheel's again. I can find good wheel's...but they are a couple of hundred buck's each. I've been thinking of some mag wheels, they are $145 each. But so far I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money right now.
WHERE do they sell 26 inch mag wheels that you speak of???

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I have had great success without incident using Stan's No Tubes.
This turns your current tire/tube setup into a tubeless tire by 1st sealing the spoke holes of the rim, installing a special rubber rim strip, adding latex sealant to the tire, & a special valve stem. It works wonderful & once or twice a year add a few ounces of their latex to keeps things well sealed.
-Alex-

billintexas

Aug 2, 2008
Central Texas
I bought the Sierra 26x1.9 hd for my rear friction drive. It does feel wobbly till you get used to the tire movement. It STAYS ON. And of course flats are TOTALLY GONE. I reccomend em to all who want to lose flats for good!!!I have over 500 miles on mine and no wear on it from the 7/8 roller on my stanton 35cc 4 cyl ryobi kit