Manic Mechanic Hub Adaptor

GoldenMotor.com

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Got a few questions on this.

1. Which one fits a Cranbrook (I'm guessing the CB-110?)
  2. How do they mount up? Do they clamp solidly on the hub somehow or do they just sit on the spokes?
  3. Do I have to re-spoke the wheel to fit it inside? (wouldn't bother me, but would like to know)
  4. Are they self-truing? Nothing to center, just bolt on?
  5. If the wheel isn't 100% true (I do mine on a vice & use a marked 2x4 stood on end to eyeball it), will that affect the sprocket being true to the hub?
  6. What happens if I get chain-to-tire rub? Is there a way to adjust it?

Thanks. Just getting sick of the rag-joint thing having to be redone 3 or 4 times every time I pull it off, and braking like 3 bolts every time I do it.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
1. if it's a shimano cb-110 hub, then , yes.
2. clamps to the hub with two allen bolts.
3. no
4.yes, as long as you tighten the bolts equally.
5.no. but an un-true wheel will affect the way your bike rides in general.
6. the adapter has some lateral movement, you can move it closer to the hub flange to extend it past your tire on most bikes, and also to get the motor cog and the rear sprocket in alignment so your chain stays on.

7. yes, it's totally worth it.

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
So how do you tell if it's a shimano CB 110 or equivalent? There's no markings on the thing.\

Anyone got some sort of measurement?

7. yes, it's totally worth it.
Thanks

EDIT:

Adapter Fit Measurements that are in the range of 1.524 to 1.528
Found that in the description. Says basically the same thing in the title, and the markings indicate inches. What are they referring to?

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Check this thread http://motorbicycling.com/f3/creative-engining-manic-mechanic-jim-please-9945-2.html

Hello Kevlarr,

The Shimano CB-110/CB-110E measures 1.524" -1.527"
The huffy Cranbrook hub measures 1.504" -1.508"
The Falcon CFE-10 measures 1.531 - 1.535"
The Modus 08-(E,G,H), measures 1.181" - 1.185"

Jim

Jim used to have the Cranbrook adapter listed separately on his site. You may want to get ahold of pirate and see if they are still available.

Even though my hub isn't a Shimano that's what I ordered because my hub diameter came in at 1.526"

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
to be precise, you need a micrometer to measure your hub, but like kevlarr said, call pirate, tell 'em you have a cranbrook.

btw, a shimano hub says "shimano" on the brake arm. most other hubs do, also. some have it stamped right into the hub shell. if yours has no name at all, i dunno what kind it is, but whoever makes it must not be too proud of it if they don't want their name on it...

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
It seems to measure about 1.506 (measured with micrometer). Hmm... that sucks. Don't know how the thing looks mechanically (the pics aren't all that detailed), but I'm thinking about getting it anyway and wrapping the hub in some thin rubber to space it out.

The rubber might bump it a bit (hundredth of an inch or so) in either direction, but that's still a heck of a lot better than the rag joint which is near impossible to align with that little of an error.

I'm picturing like a 2-piece thing that clamps down with bolts on either side, similar to the way the tensioner mounts to the chainstay, except its more cut from a metal block rather than bent sheet metal. Don't know if that's what it is or not. Hard to tell from the pics.

EDIT: But that's all if pirate doesn't have the cranbrook model. Will definitely ask when I get the $$.

Last edited:

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hi,

I spoke to PIRATE, and they dont have the huffy cranbrook hub adapter anymore.
(i own a cranbrook too)
Our hub is a Shamino Falcon (from me seeing that on the brake arm), and they stopped making the adapter. Supposedly some hubs/wheels have failed.

you are going to need to switch over to shamino cb 110 or cb 110e hub and use pirates adapter that fits, then see if you can relace your spokes. (or buy new wheel set)

From the gas engine distributor, they say the rag sprocket attachment is good, and a problem if you put it on an old bicycle.

I'm gonna give it a shot that way for now.

Good Luck :)

Last edited:

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
The rag adapter can never be trusted to remain concentric causing the chain tension to vary. Besides the stress is all on the spokes, not a good idea. Pirate sells a really nice wheel for around 40 bucks with the correct hub which also has much better bearings that helps with another safety concern.
Stainless Steel rear wheel W/ Coaster Brake 26 Inch
Well, is there a difference between the Shimano E-110 and the CB-110 in terms of the outside diameter? Because I'm pretty sure those are the same wheels as these:

Amazon.com: Wheel Master Rear Bicycle Wheel 26 x 1.75 36H, Steel, Bolt On, Shimano CB, Silver: Sports & Outdoors

That particular picture doesn't work for some reason, but note that particular store on amazon uses that same picture (on the piratescycles page) to sell all their other wheels. An example:

Amazon.com: Wheel Master Rear Bicycle Wheel 26 x 1.75 36H, Steel Bolt On, Silver: Sports & Outdoors

EDIT: Not to mention, the specs are identical

Just sayin.... (only because pirates is out of stock at the moment)

Last edited:

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
This is almost the exact same wheel I picked up at my LBS (hub is not Shimano) for about the same price as Husky has and the Shimano adapter fits perfectly.

Can't use rim brakes on it but it is a very heavy duty wheel for $17 more.

WHEEL 26x2.125 REAR COASTER BRAKE, 11G STEEL: Husky Bicycles
Haha I like it already:

Shipping Weight: 30.00 pounds
But there stems my previous question, this one's got the E-110 and the pirate adapter is the CB. Are they the same size? If your hub wasn't shimano then there's really not much way to compare the thing.

Though I still like the rim either way. LOL to 11G spokes.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hi Gene,

Thanks for the info. :)

My tire is 26 x 2.125, 36 spoke if I remember correctly.

The post is for 26 x 1.75 36h, which is out of stock. I guess i'll call PIRATE monday to see what they have.

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Hi Gene,

Thanks for the info. :)

My tire is 26 x 2.125, 36 spoke if I remember correctly.

The post is for 26 x 1.75 36h, which is out of stock. I guess i'll call PIRATE monday to see what they have.
Your tire *SHOULD* have enough flexibility to fit on the thing. This is just coming from my experience buying tires at Walmart. On most boxes tires come in, they give a range of rims they'll fit on (for mountain bike/cruiser it usually goes from 1.75 to 2.125)

But... thinner rim = weaker rim in most cases.

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
Interference fit? We're not pressing in a sleeve here. 19 thousandths of an ich difference aint much. True it's not an interference fit but, a slice of beer can would make up the difference.

Last edited:

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
Maybe I have used the wrong term but another component could be a source of slipping and that would not be good. But I do not know. One thing I do know is Jim could have provided lots of desired shims instead of making all those custom dia. adapters. I figure he had a reason. Also don't you have to shim it out to the exact original dimensions so the bolts line up with the sprocket holes?

Last edited: