Pulling cat out of muffler

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Why? The cat is the most nonrestrictive part of the muffler. It can be done by taking the two nuts off the top studs on the muffler, removing the muffler and cutting the cat off with a hacksaw.

If you don't have a muffler that completely comes apart (rounded by the head pipe and welded together) there really isn't a cat inside.

BOREDTrackRacer

Nov 10, 2009
Los Angeles
the one I have is welded at the top. If there is no cat, what is all that junk inside of it then? Wouldn't I be better of taking it all out and making it into some sort of expansion chamber?

How would I go about taking it out of the welded type? What kind/how strong is the weld that is holding it in there?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Never had one apart but from what I've read the rounded chrome mufflers can't have a cat inside because there's no way to plate them without destroying the cat.

When I cut mine off (I only did it because it's at the end of a tuned pipe, would no longer function properly clear at the end of the exhaust and probably plug up with soot) it looked like looking at the end of a rolled up piece of cardboard and had almost zero restriction.

BOREDTrackRacer

Nov 10, 2009
Los Angeles
maybe yours is different then mine. I just got the newer grubee slanthead kit. It can with a black header and muffler. Inside there looks to be a whole mess of stuff. The guy I bought it from says its a catalytic converter.

It looks rather restrictive, but I can see the other side of it without cutting the muffler at the welded seam

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Possibly it's filled with steel wool, kinda like a glasspack muffler.

The thing in the middle is what my cat looked like.