Still Cruising.

GoldenMotor.com

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
I've been getting more serious about my bobber cruiser called "idiot face." Today I rode to work on after adding a wallyworld springer seat and an LED light kit. My trip to work is about 14mi round trip. I'd feel better with an extra headlight. The seat has helped out alot with the vibes I experienced last Sunday when I rode to work. Since I thinned my oil/fuel mix with synthetic, I've noticed more get up and go in the engine. When I go balls out the vibes kick in hardcore. I should probably rubbermount the engine in the near future. I don't think the Mt bike tires I got on the thing do much to help out the vibes but I like the look. I have 18" apes on it and they are pretty comfortable. Last week I was expecting to breakdown somewhere between work and home, when I didn't I was pleasantly suprised. This week I had less reservations. I'm feeling very confident with this thing. When I get back home, I'll give it a good look over and make sure everything is still tight.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
When I go balls out the vibes kick in hardcore. I should probably rubbermount the engine in the near future.
Part of that is the knobby tires, part of it is the "4stroking" that all these china motors do. Check to make sure your chain isn't "tightening and loosening" as you turn the back wheel - a sign of an offset rear sprocket, it's responsible for a LOT of vibration at speed.

It's great to hear of another commuter and it's awesome yer bikes treating you well! .wee.

A word of advice though, do not "soft mount" your engine. While this does reduce the vibration in the frame of the bike and as a result lessens what you feel - it can actually accent the engine's vibration - resulting in sheared motor mounts, fuel frothing, and assorted other issues. While you could use hard polyurethane mounts to try to reduce felt vibration - it really isn't worth the bother, get gel grips to go with your sprung seat and attempt to reduce vibration by tuning your (entire) bike as best you're able.

Jim's sprocket adapter is a a good start, the tensioner/guide is another source of vibes - if you can get rid of it altogether obv. that's the best, if you cant - a spring-loaded version would help a lot. If you can get knobby tires that have interlocking center tread that helps a lot too - I run them myself ;)

How long is your commute? Got any pics of yer build? I wanna see! o.o

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I bed in lead.

Lead sheets between the motor and frame tube, and also between the mount piece and frame tube, both mounts. It take about 1 minute extra to cut the four pieces from a larger sheet.
It could be purely psychological, but it works like magic for me.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've got a pyramid cruiser seat from bikepartsusa.com. it's wide, springy, and super comfortable. Pyramid Cruiser Saddle With Springs Black | BikepartsUSA cheap, too.

knobbys will definitely harsh your ride. my first bike had some old Carlisle Aggressor tires, which are awesome cruiser tires, but like the name says, the tread's aggressive. now i'm riding on Kenda Kommuter's, and it's a night and day difference.

and as i said in my "common sense" thread, solid motor mounts are the way to go.

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
I bed in lead.

Lead sheets between the motor and frame tube, and also between the mount piece and frame tube, both mounts. It take about 1 minute extra to cut the four pieces from a larger sheet.
It could be purely psychological, but it works like magic for me.
Where do you get a sheet of lead?