Compression after 9 Months

GoldenMotor.com

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
Not sure but I think it seems it may be just a lean mixture issue..if its not air leaks it might be a blocked carby jet. Sometimes a bit of dirt may get inside the carby and block the main jet causing a lean mixture, can be fixed simply by cleaning the carby with a strong cleaner. Also the nuts connecting on the inlet of cylinder I find they get loose alot so they always have to be fairly tight.. I would try a richer mixture to see if it changes things...

Last edited:

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
I still Can't find it, and it is Not Starting At All Now, I am wondering if I am getting any spark, What is the best way to check spark on these Pedal To Start Engines ?

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
take the plug out, make sure the wire is connected good, hold the plug, BY THE WIRE NOT THE PLUG, with the plug grounded against the engine. turn the engine over and see if the plug makes a spark. You may be better off just getting a good ngk plug and a good wire.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Thanks, There is spark,, so it isn't firing off for some reason, The throttle Control on the handle bar has been broken another words at times it is not directly connected to the turn mechanism within the handle, is it possible that the connection being lost would prevent the start, )a Closed jet or fuel inlet closure of some kind), I was under the impression that it would start with the gas in the carb from the tickler?

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Cleaned out the Carb but found that it seems to be leaking gas into the cylinder, meaning
it is leaking with the air cleaner off, from that portal, another words it appears to be leaking out of the portal , . . . Is it the float or something else ?

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Is there a special, valve setting spec. for the needle valve that opens and closes the gas flow from the tank,. . the one that is located in the reservoir above the float assembly, I can't get the darn thing to stop leaking gas up out of the bowl into the intake chamber ?
It then trickles out where the air cleaner fits.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
It appears I have the leak under control.

Only thing is I am not sure it was that way before I messed with it, . . .

but if it was that way, . . than for sure it was the problem because the carb intake would have been at a perpetual flood.
I'll give it a try tomorrow, wilco

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
The Handle Grip Throttle Twister is broken, I have been running that way, but now I'm Having trouble, . .

I am want to know if the cylindrical valve at the end of the throttle cable, if not being moved would cause the no starts I have been having ?

Maybe that a dumb question but Jiggleing it when starting should allow enough gas in
to start, at least I thought it would whats your take on this ?

It might be slipping do to the broken twister.

Last edited:

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
I would adjust your clutch,also...check the blue wire mine came out the other day and I pedaled dam near a 1/4 mile trying to start before I realized LOL

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Thanks for your feedback, I believe I am arriving at the problem, . .

I thought I should take the Drawing A Step further, so as Not to mislead anyone, The previous drawing, was a little hasty, the improved drawing shows a closer similarity, sorry about that!

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
What I am getting at is that even with the handle broken, The engine should run at an Idle, therefore it should start with the needle at rest position ? Correct ?

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
OK I got the parts back together and want to further check to see if it was the broken handle or something else, . . Does anyone know how much the needle has to move up when accelerated or was I correct in assuming it does not have to move in order to start the engine ?

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Wheel Rush, With Your Air Cleaner Off Look In The Carb. The Screw On The Side Of The Carb Will Raise The Cylinder Up For Your Idle Speed. You Should Be Able To See It Go Up As The Screw Is Turned In. On My Motors That Idle Adjustment Is Real Touchy. A Little Bit Go`s A Long Way. Make Sure Your Kill Switch Is Working. If It Starts, And Is Running To Fast You Don`t Want To Have A Wreck. You Can Pull In Your Clutch To Stop Bike. Also Put Full Choke To Stop It. I Have Controlled My Speed By Pulling Up On The Black Cable Housing. When You Are Looking In Carb With Air Filter Off, Pull Up On Cable Between Seat And Rear Of Gas Tank, Watch The Throttle Slide Go Up And Down. It Will Not Start Without Throttle If The Idle Is Set To Low. If Idle Is Set To Fast And It Starts, This Could Be Scary And Dangerous. You Seem To Have A Lot Of Patience!! When I Was 14 I Had A Model A Ford, Kept It At My Grampa`s Farm. He Was A Very Religious Man. I Was Always Working On That Car, One Day He Walked By And Said; Ronnie You Have More Patience Than God!! That Has Sustained Me Through Many A Challenge !! Good Luck. Ron

Last edited:

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Ron,
Thanks, I think you know what your talking about, . . The last time I looked I was wondering what the idler screw was actually doing, I had the carb off and I could see it when I turned it but it did nothing except move back and forth as I turned it, I am going to take another look maybe take the carb off, and I'll get back to you with the details, . . . I try yo posy a drawing.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Ron,

I see the idler screw is it suppose to be doing something? Like it does, it goes in and out, is that it ?

At this point, . .I am getting about 3/16" up and down on the needle

[/IMG]

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
In Your Drawing You Show The Carb Slide All The Way To The Top, That Is Wide Open Throttle = Full Speed. Your Drawing Is Very Good, But The Idle Screw Should Be Near The Bottom Of The Hole. You Show The Taper On The End Of The Screw, As You Screw It In, It Forces The Slide Up (more Opening) And Increases Idle Speed. Did You Pull Up On The Cable, Pull It Almost Out Of The Carb. That Can Work As A Throttle In A Pinch.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Your Carb Slide Is Not Staying At The Top Is It? The Slide Has A Groove Down The Side And There Is A Pin Sticking Out In The Bore, You Must Have Them Lined Up. To Screw The Top On. There Is A Spring On The Top Of The Slide To Return It To Idle Mode. You Propably Have This All Correct. Just Trying To Cover All The Bases With You. Keep Posting, The Members Are Eager To Help. Ron

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
The Needle Is In The Slide, The Slide Should Have The Hole Blocked So You Can Not Look Thru The Carb. The Slide Should Be At The Bottom Resting On The Idle Screw.