Gas Tank with TWO lines?

GoldenMotor.com

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
So, I'm looking to add a tank that has TWO fuel lines going to it.

One being wider than the other.
Could I be able to use this with the China Girl?

How could I connect it to the engine?

So far Ive thought about a "T" connector to turn both lines into one. But I just thought I'd check if anyone has any other ideas?

By The way,
Im still toying with placement of the tank.

I like the under frame, behind the seat post, and on the handle bars the best.
Suggestions??

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
that is made for a pumper type carb which needs a return line. To use it on your china girl, simply plug one line.
Be aware there could be leaks if you don't properly plug the open line...

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
Thanks. Would it matter if the lines are on the top instead of being gravity fed??
Or should I just make a new hole, plug the two on top, and run a line through the bottom?

If I were to place the tank on the seat post OR under the frame, the lines would be on top instead of the bottom as in a regular tank.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Thats why I mentioned leaks...it must be able to gravity drain or it will not feed the carb.
Be careful!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Keep in mind that "gravity feed" means the outlet of the fuel tank must be higher than the inlet of the carburetor. Liquids will only flow downhill unless there is a pump involved. Wherever you mount the tank it must be high enough to allow the fuel to flow 'downhill' to the carburetor.

Tom

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I think they are sealed tanks so you eather have to drill a vent in the cap or used the second line for a vent.............Curt

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
I think they are sealed tanks so you eather have to drill a vent in the cap or used the second line for a vent.............Curt
The tank's cap IS vented. But yeah, ive been looking for a mount higher than the carb.

I mainly want the tank as a reserve or back up to the peanut tank.
I'm still trying to figure out new mounts for it since the original ones broke when the bike went down.
Speaking of which, I know that there's such a thing called "Metric Extenders?" that you can screw onto the original studs of the tank and have them drop down to just bolt on with some stainless steel, for a lack of a better word, cross bars or such?

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
The fuel line I.D. is WAY WAY too small . You'll have a fuel delivery issue next . Go to DAX.com and spend the $35.00 bucks and get yourself a nice cool looking gallon tank.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
So, I'm looking to add a tank that has TWO fuel lines going to it.

One being wider than the other.
Could I be able to use this with the China Girl?

How could I connect it to the engine?

So far Ive thought about a "T" connector to turn both lines into one. But I just thought I'd check if anyone has any other ideas?

By The way,
Im still toying with placement of the tank.

I like the under frame, behind the seat post, and on the handle bars the best.
Suggestions??
Behind the seatpost looks like one of the best choices. As said above, you need the tank higher than the carb. Unless you find a way to plug the vent hole in the cap and run air pressure into the tank through the second tube to forced the gas out. Then you have to deal with balancing the air pressure so you're not over or under feeding the engine, risking the lines popping off or splitting the tank.
I don't like the handlebar idea, as you'll have the fuel hose flexing back and forth all the time as you ride. There's a higher risk of something coming loose from the motion of steering, or the fuel line cracking as it ages and stiffens.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
PLUS, if you wipe out your bike , with the gas tank on the handlebars you run the risk of CRASH & BURN. This raises the possible the risk of a fatality.:-||

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thats why I mentioned leaks...it must be able to gravity drain or it will not feed the carb.
Be careful!
These saddle tanks are mounted under the engine, which SUCK fuel up to its carburetor. Return lines can be used as a vent. In your situation, your engine will siphon AND suck fuel to the carb. That can be controlled w/a tee fitting with the stock tank.

A simpler solution would be to replace your peanut tank with a 4-liter peanut tank. Same mounts, same single fuel line and twice your driving range.

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
well, I just let go of the idea at this point. I'll just use the original tank at this point. I just got the replacement petcock and the mounts for the original peanut tank for now.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Whatever you do, do NOT drill the plastic tank.Gas will always find a way to seep thru. I've used goped tanks and they leaked @ the grommet on the side. I even drilled holes atop, just enough for a tight fit. Still leaked.

Just plug the extra line. It'd be better if you can mount the tank horizontally, so the holes are topside.

I ran three tanks on my twin-engined monster, the original saddle tanks and an auxiliary peanut tank. Since the front tank was almost below the reserve tank's level, siphon action was difficult. I used tee fittings and a built-in siphon bulb in the fuel lines. This sorta worked, but the best solution was a small 12-volt aftermarket fuel pump for an old VW hotrod engine. That sucker filled tanks very quickly. Since I only needed it every so often, I didn't need to mount the battery on the bike.

Luz74

Nov 16, 2012
UAE
This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand the value of providing a prime resource for free. I truly loved reading your posts on motorbicycling.com . Thanks!

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
well, I just let go of the idea at this point. I'll just use the original tank at this point. I just got the replacement petcock and the mounts for the original peanut tank for now.
Did you get the Sick Bike Parts (SBP) petcock? That one works MUCH better than the tank's original valve. If you did get the SPB one, open the valve and look into it. There is VERY little restriction, as compared to the original petcock. I got stalled on the road once, with a full tank of gas and a bad petcock. After limping home, I ordered the SPB valve. After installing it, my fuel problems were gone forever.dance1

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
No I didnt it. Instead I ordered the petcock from a minibike and its been perfect.
Theres nearly no restriction on it, it also included the built in mesh filter just like the original one that comes with the kit.

Only difference is that this one is on a right angle completely.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Good. As long as it works for you.

So, are you gonna use that plastic tank? I believe they hold 24oz. However, they have a tendency to spill out the cap's vent. What you COULD do is plug the cap's vent and use the second line (aka return line) as a vent.dance1