"Winter Motorized Bicycling, tips and tricks"

GoldenMotor.com

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Re: "Winter MBing, tips and tricks"

Tis the season to get this thread alive again, I came across this post on Instructables:

pop-rivet studs Enjoy!

basically just pop-rivet from inside but put a washer on the outside so they hold fast.
Super Idea Canuk!!!! If I ever do that, Ill temper the ends also with my tiny little Canadian Tire oxy propane kit.

I broke down today and since 5 pm last night to 3 am this morning I finally got my bike running super. I am happy on this Christ morning or should I say RELEIVED!!!

Colby

Jan 29, 2012
calgary ab canada

all i do for winter is throw on extra layers now studded tires, maybe mt bike tread thats about it. only problems i have had from winter riding is from me doing donuts and tacoing a rim
I have done the samething, and I will do it again. dnut. It is so fun gettin' dizzy
dnutdnut

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada

pop rivets,eh? good idea,if you use steel rivets.
the snowmobile supply outfits used to sell hex head screws,the head was hardnened and fit 1/4" socket.
used on dirt bikes for ice.
was thinking about winter riding ,after this torn bicep thing ,biking is off til its completely healed.most,no,all my recent injuries were inflicted when i was sober.
thinking i should drink more and do less.......

lots of great info here,guys,keep it up.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

biking is off til its completely healed.most,no,all my recent injuries were inflicted when i was sober.
thinking i should drink more and do less.......

Where were you when I needed to know this in my 20's!

Although I did try drinking and doing more in my 30's.

Now in my 40's, I try to just pay some one else to do it.

lol

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

You mean there's a "drink less - do more" philosophy somewhere? nah, pure fiction, heh heh

Yea I forgot about this too, till Max mentioned "deflating the tire, wrap thin chain on tire and re-inflate" for his kicksled project, now that's cool for ice running.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

Here is what I have for gear: Thermal underwear (top and bottom), a sweater, a fleece jacket, a leather jacket, a nylon face mask, a ski mask, waterproof motorcycle gloves, and goggles.

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando

Here is what I have for gear: Thermal underwear (top and bottom), a sweater, a fleece jacket, a leather jacket, a nylon face mask, a ski mask, waterproof motorcycle gloves, and goggles.
Do you ever have problems with the metal inserts in your tires? It seems like they might get pushed through the tube?

Im glad I live in Florida! I only wear a jacket riding like a month or 2 outta the year!

The only thing i have to do in the winter is adjust carb..The air is so moist here in florida with humidity. when it gets cold and drys out i gotta adjust it. but thats the only time it usually is fine the rest of the year..

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando

So finally, you end up with something like this in layers:

Then you just carefully cram everything onto your 'winter-friendly' rim(nipple first), throw in some air; the lower the pressure the better the traction(but lower the speed...), and you're done.

*Note- If you bring that flesh-eater inside, put down some cardboard or something, especially if you have a significant other, or wood floors. :p

*Note2- That tire only took 100 screws double spaced. On my first ride the extra weight had a centrifugal(gyroscopic) effect when trying to turn. So start out slow 'till you get used to it.

MB.com Sticker plug:
Thats how ya do it! The double layer tubing is a definate. I was wondering how that was working out for ya. r.ly.

obadboystanley

Sep 4, 2012
NYC

I was riding the other day and it was in the upper 30s. I had a helmet, face, mask gloves, and a good warm jacket. I was cold in the beginning but then I got warmed up, since I live in a urban area with lots of traffic and people, there are times where I have to rely on pedaling. That gets my heart rate going and it warms me up nice. After a while I dont feel cold at all even if im riding fast.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

my gear is very important. t-shirt, shorts, sandals, suntan lotion and a helmet. dang i hate winter lol

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

LOL, really is Paul.

I still can't come up with a come-back to "82F year round".

H.R. huffinstuff

Jan 27, 2012
Puyallup, WA

don't know how many flat track enthusiasts are on here but i find winter to be a good time to hone skills on something WAY sketchier than a real moto on dirt, i think its made me a better rider

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA

It gives me a chance to wear my B-3 bomber jacket, Gauntlet gloves, goggles, leather helmet, and vintage looking long sleeve shirt. Weather has been getting cooler already here in Georgia.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.

Sounds like a nice bike - sometimes I am envious of you 66cc dudes.
2 days ago I went out on a 5 mile winter ride and it was a nightmare!! Then yeaterday, I went out on a longer ride and it was a blast. I loved it. Winter has a lot of different conditions that change from day to day- kind of like a river.