low cost conversion

GoldenMotor.com

jpm2012

Aug 15, 2012
Pennyslvania
Hello
Looking for the most inexpensive way to convert a 26" mountain bike to a gas powered machine. Does anyone know if it would be easier to strip it down to single-speed or build it as an 18 speed?

cmanns

Jul 1, 2012
Santa Cruz, California
utilizing the gears for the motor? Sometimes that's not legal in some areas to use a shift kit.

Cheapest way, get a chinabay kit till it blows then look for your next choice in engines. btw it's never inexpensive. Bike parts fail, engine parts fail. This was the worst hobby choice for me personally (No life, nothing to do havn't even owned a bike since a kid- I built my mountain bike motorized bicycle with a **** cheap bike my friend gave me in pieces for 10 bucks, then a 130 dollar custom kit with 33cc engine that had a bad carb rebuild. By the time I rebuilt the carb (I did ride it bout 25 miles) now a wheel's already fubar'd and seizing, the frame feels weak, etc.

Not pushing you away from this scene but think what your goals are far out, once I get the bike solid, soon the engine will be an issue again :) it'll be a continuously cycle till you've dumped bout a grand most here say they get in their bikes where it runs some what stable. You also need tools to work on a bicycle, engine, etc.

Also whats funny strip it down to single speed, thats what I'm about to do since I can't find a cheap enough rear cassette style rear wheel for the 6 speed, so going to try to just run it like a BMX till I can afford to buy the derailer parts and what not. If your not dead set on a shift kit, if your gears work, why would you switch it? :)

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Lets see I would have to say it isn't cheap, but it sure isn't a full out rebuild of one of those nice early motorcycles that are close to what we are doing with regular bikes.

What I have spent so far.
Springer forks $35
New front wheel with drum brake $120
Rear wheel with sprocket mounted (36 tooth sprocket) to hub will cost $117
Plus another $100 in other things needed
Still need to buy motor kit at about $150 to $180

So you can see it can add up fast. I will try to sell some of my stuff like the old rims which are only about 3 years old, but that won't get me much back in return.

DTFuqua

Jul 16, 2012
Florida
I bought a Schwinn Jaguar for $30 and a HF Predator engine for around $100 with a two year, over the counter warranty and miscellaneous other things for around $100 like a gas tank, throttle assembly, and drive parts to set up a friction drive similar to some homemade builds on here. A little angle iron and flat bar and a little welding and I'm almost ready to go. No worry about spokes because the drive is against the tire and means I can use cheap replacement parts when anything starts to show any slop or wear. If you have a scrap yard near by, you'll be surprised what good parts you can get for just about 10 to 20% over scrap prices.