found a flying o bike

GoldenMotor.com

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I found an old "flying o" cruiser bike. Anyone know about these. It's a little rough, and may need a few parts. Guy is asking $40 for it. What fi yall think?

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
What does it look like? Apparently there is one that uses the Spaceliner style frame, I would definitely pay $40 for one of those!

Like in this post, found while googling:
otasco flying O

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
1969 Otasco Flying O Qualifier V

if it helps any I live less than 30 miles from where the bikes where made and I have never seen one made by this company in the almost 5 years I have lived here

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
after digging around using GOOGLE there seems to be 2 makes of the flying O bicycles

Murray built bike sold through Otasco... thus the Flying "O"
used this headtube badge

ones made by Ohio Mfg. company Lawerenceburg TN USA
use this headbadge

were sold in the Otasco stores
Otasco (Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company) was a retail chain specializing in auto parts and appliances based in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

It was first established in 1918 by three Jewish Lithuanian immigrant brothers, Sam (1898–1939), Maurice (1891–1970), and Herman (1889–1971) Sanditen, who opened the first Otasco store in Okmulgee. The company moved its headquarters to Tulsa in 1925.[1] The company based its business on offering its products on credit.[2] In 1960, the McCrory Corporation bought the company, while retaining the Sanditen brothers. In 1968, the chain had 455 units in 12 states. In 1984, the firm's employees bought the company from McCrory, creating one of the largest employee-owned companies in America.[1] In 1988, the retail chain filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy which resulted in the closing of 170 stores across 11 states and the loss of 1,600 jobs.[3]

Currently, an Otasco store is documented as a member of the Beaver, Oklahoma Chamber of Commerce.[4] Borger, Texas still has a store operating under the Otasco name in 2012.[5]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otasco

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
OK.
I couldnt post pics of the bikes I found earlier cause I was running late.
I found both these bikes together today.
The Flying O has a curved bottom frame bar.
The Arrow has a straight bar on the bottom and I think it is much newer than the Flying O.

I did a little research on these, and was only able to find a small amount of info on the flying O bike.
I think I will stop tomorrow or monday and pick it up, but I am going to try to talk him down a bit on the price because both bikes are pretty rough.

Now that you have seen pics, what do you think?

Attachments

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
what I see is a useable frame depending on how the welds look
gonna need to buy drum brake wheels to upgrade the brakes
should replace all the bearing and races on that frame

what its worth how much are you willing to pay for a frame?

just for the need for information can you get a better pic of the O's headtube badge as it seems to be yet another maker they used

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If the price is right, either bike would make for a good starting point.
Plan on replacing all the bearings though, unless they were actually properly cleaned and repacked regularly during the bikes previous life.
Oh yeah.... loose that yellow seat too!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The first thing I'd replace are the front forks, but that's not for me to decide. I prefer the frame with the curved down tube, it looks of better quality than the other from the pics.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Great find. Gonna make a beautiful MB! Ya couldn't make a frame that good for $40. If they were posted on CL here in CT., would be minimum $100 bucks.

Lookin' forward to seeing your build Placidscene.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I WASNT ABLE TO GET EITHER OF THEM! He was closed today and I am leaving town.
Oh well. Next time I am in east texas I guess. Stuff is cheap here!