watch what females are around your bike.

GoldenMotor.com

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
so a few weeks a go i saw some bug eggs under my gas tank. (harley sportster).
i cleaned them away & didn't see anything else.

the other day i wanted to swap out my front fork & other work.
it is hot outside,so i took off the tank so it won't stink up my house when i bring it in.
between the tunnel & tube there was a brown widow spider.
it is built like a black widow but that where the red hour glass would be was a florescent orange geometric & brown instead of black. also there were 3 more egg sacks.

the brown widow is more poisonous drop for drop but injects much less.

it had to be riding w/me for @ least over a month.

scary!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, from the thread title, I was expecting a whole different thing. (wut, is lonely out at sea)

The other day I was sitting in a park with my MB and trying to read on a laptop but was bright and difficult. This weird shadow kept crossing over my eye. Was wearing a baseball cap. I brushed at it a few times then sort of swatted. The absolute biggest, hairiest and meanest looking taranchala (sp) looking thing fell on to the key board. I bravly and in a manly way, screamed like a little girl and jumped up. A coupla rough looking guys were just walking past. So I said I had been in prison riots that didn't scare me that much. One guy laughed and the other looked at me and said "you ain't never been to prison" I laughed and said I in fact hadn't. We ended up BS'n for a while. The one guy had just got out after 20 yrs. Then I let him ride my Bike.

Was kinda cool. We had talked for a good while and it was the first time I saw him smile. He had that *can't relax or sit still thing*

That expletive huge arse spider really did freak me out. I normally pick em up and bring out side for Carol but this thing was astonishingly/sci-fi huge!

Don't judge me. (snork)

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
if your old or no so smart and have some money spiders arn't the only black widow's you hafta worry about...

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
DAMM! that looks like a space creacher from a 1950's film i saw when i was a kid. didn't know they were real!

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
only 2 poisonous spiders in the usa, brown recluse and the widow. You are incorrect.
bwahhhhaaa! this is why we can't have nice threads.

i guess you didn't see the word "widow" every time i wrote "brown".

brown widow as in "L. geometricus"
from the genus "Latrodectus" being the widow family.

in addition there are quite a few others that are poisonous in north america. remember google is your friend.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Myth? I've never researched it but I've heard that the seemingly harmless old daddy long leg spider has the most lethal venom of any spider in North America. No one is ever bitten because the delivery system is too small to hurt a human, or even a dog. You just don't want to be an insect and have a daddy long leg bite you.
Anyone ever hear or confirm this?
Tom

EDIT: Nevermind. I just found this> Misconceptions:
There is an urban legend stating that daddy long-legs spiders have the most potent venom of any spider, but that their chelicerae (fangs) are either too small or too weak to puncture human skin; the same legend is also repeated of the harvestman and crane fly, also called "daddy long-legs" in some locales. Indeed, pholcid spiders do have a short fang structure (called uncate). However, brown recluse spiders also have uncate fang structure, but are able to deliver medically significant bites. Either pholcid venom is not toxic to humans or there is a musculature difference between the two arachnids, with recluses, being hunting spiders, possessing stronger muscles for fang penetration.[5]

In 2004, the Discovery Channel show MythBusters set out to test the daddy long-legs myth (Season 1, Episode 13 "Buried in Concrete"). After measuring the spider's fangs at approximately 0.25 mm (average human skin thickness varies from about 0.5mm to 4mm), the show's host was apparently bitten, although the bite produced little more than a mild short-lived burning sensation. This appears to confirm the suspicion that pholcids can penetrate human skin, but that their venom is practically harmless to humans. Additionally, recent research by Alan Van Dyke has shown that pholcid venom is actually relatively weak in its effects on insects as well.[6]

According to Rick Vetter of the University of California at Riverside, the daddy long-legs spider has never harmed a human and there is no evidence that they are dangerous to humans.[7]

The urban legend ostensibly stems from the fact that the daddy long-legs spider is known to prey upon deadly venomous spiders, such as the redback, a member of the black widow genus Latrodectus.[8] By extrapolation, it was thought that if the daddy long-legs spider could regularly kill a spider capable of delivering fatal bites to humans, then it must be more venomous, and the uncate fangs were accused of prohibiting it from killing people.[9] In reality, it is merely quicker than the redback.[10]

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
That's sobering decoherence, good thing she liked all the bugs flying up where she was, or she'd have been on your shoulder giving directions, lol.

That's funny Dan! 2door, I remember the Mythbusters doing a bust on daddy long legs:
MythBusters Episode 13: Buried in Concrete, Daddy Long-legs, Jet Taxi

Also,

Oh Hai!

Those Camel spiders are cool(faast too, like 24Mph, eek!), but my favorite has to be the Golden Orb Weaver(Aus):

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i don't know if it is a florida thing or other places do it too,
we let all daddy long legs live.
being they eat bugs & other spiders & tend to not kick in arachnophobia.
we also let lizards & salamanders live too. unfortunately my turkish angora cat is a hunter & takes em out quick.

another funny spider story:
when i lived in a more wooded area, i had a ton of wolf spiders.
i still see one once in a while.
btw. wolf spiders are poisonous but not deadly or create necrotic bites. though the bite supposed to hurt bad.
well i found a stridex pad in my house. i don't use stridex but didn't think about it.
then a few weeks later i see a wolf spider carrying one.
WTF?!!
so i try to kill it & a million baby spiders popped out of the pad.
they were already able to spin & were bungee jumping everywhere.
it looks exactly like a facial cleaning pad.

also i have been bitten by a brown recluse. i didn't feel it bite but my whole leg swollen up. then the bite would not heal for over 4 years.
i have spoken w/people that have had to have skin grafts & still would not heal.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
oh yea i have those "Golden silk orb-weavers" we call them "banana spiders" here in florida. i usually have a few a couple feet from my back door. they hang around my grape vines or passion vines.
also, never plant a passion fruit/vine! they can take over your yard quick. it is hard work keeping them cut back.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
yea, careful around brown recluse(even have them up here now) a neighbor girl had to have a 3"circle removed from her thigh, nasty bite...

that's funny with the stridex, haha

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
First, I really gotta stop looking at the pics on this thread! LOL

Oh man Tom! Could you imagine after a day out in the desert shooting at folks who are shooting at you. Ya dig a nice hole to get some shut eye and wake up with that thing curling up next to you for warmth? LOL, I bet some automatic gun fire was heard and woke the whole dang world. I'd a said mess this and pulled a pin.

This is weird but ever since childhood, (last week or so) I always wondered why say we find for the most part some thing like a butterfly to be beautiful and a spider ugly? Is just instinctual memory that one can hurt you and the other can't?

They have found there is a mathematical definition of beauty to a woman's face. But how can one turn every ones head and another be less desirable? A lot of it is procreation and how good a partner in the cave will be but what is that indefinable "thing"? Like can't define it but know it when we see it.

Most folks think bats are ugly but birds are beautiful sorta thing.

I been awake for way, way to long and prolly should have kept that lil ponderence to my self, huh?

Of course, normal folks don't bolt pump engines to a perfectly good bicycle and see if they live to tell.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Bats are ugly and Birds are cute? Heh heh, like anything, it depends on the species, I guess.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Don't worry, I'm only trying to eat the bugs that are pestering you, plz no squish me!

But hey, at least a pet Tarantula won't crap on you, and everywhere, like a bird, lols. Sorry if I creeped anyone out(Dan).

:D

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
oh yea i have those "Golden silk orb-weavers" we call them "banana spiders" here in florida. i usually have a few a couple feet from my back door. they hang around my grape vines or passion vines.
also, never plant a passion fruit/vine! they can take over your yard quick. it is hard work keeping them cut back.
Cool, those spiders will keep any and all pests off your grapes, for sure.

Passion fruit grows that fast? hmm, cool flowers on those though:

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Spiders,birds and bats...??? I was looking for some great story about a hot chick jacking a guys bike them them ending up doing the nasty on some backroad !
I demand restatution!!!!tell me a story that requires one of the mods (dan) too spend two days cleaning it up ...and for the record thats two camel spiders :)