Hello from the Gulf Coast of Mississippi

GoldenMotor.com

gia

May 28, 2011
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
I'm currently in the research stage of my first build--it seemed to make sense to me to find out what works and doesn't work from people who have already done it. My first build is going to be a serious learning experience, as the entire project will be moving me way out of my comfort zone. I'm mechanically inept, but I have recruited some mechanical friends to assist me in the project. I want to do the build myself because I want to be able to cope if I have a break-down on the road and know the difference between "I can fix it here with my tools" and "there's no fixing this, call for a pickup."

I have not bought a single thing for this first build. I ride a bicycle, use a bike trailer, and want the motorized bike to expand my range, save money (of course) and to use for recreational travel, as well as nearby errands.

Ultimately there is going to be at least two builds. The first one is the "learning experience" with a low budget standard cruiser bike and 2 cycle motor. This one will either become my fiance's bike or be sold to help finance #3's build. The second bike is intended to be a trike, although the type is up in the air.

I also blog about the whole thing at WordPress.com

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Welcome.

I am just wandering in myself.

I have a unit a friend built for me. Seemed reasonable to let him do it since he knows all about it and I have to learn.
I too have a "kiddy Cart" trailer and today I went for groceries and it was the best!
Lots of folks asking questions and admiring the look.

Here is my unit.

I'm new to MB so I look forward to having a few MB friends!

I'll answer any questions I can as well.

Attachments

gia

May 28, 2011
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
If you are looking for a general all-purpose cargo trailer that doesn't break the bank...or give up when you need it the most, take a look at Aosom trailers. They are cheap, but they roll well and have the solid bottom I wanted. I'm usually carrying a large dog with large toenails...and I couldn't see a fabric bottom working well over the long term.

Right now, the Aosom.com site is "out of stock" and has been for some time on the cargo trailers...but SOMEBODY is selling them on Ebay. 3 different sizes, the 2 smaller ones use 16" wheels, the large uses 20". They are rated for 180 lb capacity, and weigh in at 35 lbs. Empty, you don't even feel it behind you and it will startle you when you hit a bump and it rattles or something.

Price wise, nobody is coming close--the small has been around $100, going up about $10 per size. Beats a "kiddie cart" for hauling cargo OR big dogs! (Put the kid in a car seat, and I guess that would work too?)

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Welcome from Canada eh?

Hey Gia I too am working on my first cruiser build and im stoked to hear you chose a cruiser as your first build. They look great and can teach you alot as they have a unique set of their own challenges vs. standard v-frame mountain bikes.....Dont let that scare ya as they are mostly mounting issues due to the the cruiser's frame design, and take relief that any and all issues have already been adressed and solved on this forum so your in the right place. This is a very friendly and helpful bunch so never be afraid to ask ANYTHING!
Good luck and keep us updated
-dan

gia

May 28, 2011
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Addiction...or obsession?

I haven't even built a first one yet, and that's what I've been told.

It has also been suggested that I'm officially nuts, since I've never shown one iota of interest in working on a motor before, and now...I want to build my own motorized bike, not have it built for me. To build it myself somehow smacks more of independence, perhaps? Right or wrong, it will be my project!

gia

May 28, 2011
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
TY dan for the words of encouragement.
Not chosen the specific bike yet for the project, but IF I have to go with a new bike, I think the Hollandia Holiday Men's 26" bike will be it. Yes, it's a Walmart bike...but it is steel, looks burly enough to handle the motorizing, and should be fairly simple for a learning project. Here's their link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hollandia-Holiday-26-Men-s-Cruiser-Bike/16539708
Now, I'm off in pursuit of vendor reviews. I don't want a customer service nightmare!

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
I agree 100% with your choice of nike...and who cares where its from! As long as YOU like it and it rides nice then go for it. But I really love the old school vibe of that cruiser and I think it would look unreal with a motor set up and looks pretty straight forward as far as mounting.....kinda wish I woulda seen that one when I was shoppin....ha ha ha
Let us know when you make a choice
-Dan

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
If you are looking for a general all-purpose cargo trailer that doesn't break the bank...or give up when you need it the most, take a look at Aosom trailers. They are cheap, but they roll well and have the solid bottom I wanted. I'm usually carrying a large dog with large toenails...and I couldn't see a fabric bottom working well over the long term.

Right now, the Aosom.com site is "out of stock" and has been for some time on the cargo trailers...but SOMEBODY is selling them on Ebay. 3 different sizes, the 2 smaller ones use 16" wheels, the large uses 20". They are rated for 180 lb capacity, and weigh in at 35 lbs. Empty, you don't even feel it behind you and it will startle you when you hit a bump and it rattles or something.

Price wise, nobody is coming close--the small has been around $100, going up about $10 per size. Beats a "kiddie cart" for hauling cargo OR big dogs! (Put the kid in a car seat, and I guess that would work too?)
Thank you for the info. I made a purchase at the local Costco and it was a fabric bottom unit but I hope to add a 12V deep cycle battery by reversing the forks for the baby wheel to point backwards and I will attach the battery case to that.
My goal is to have Laptop power for the evening camping. Also looking at small generators as well.
So it will be a project soon I hope.
Perhaps when all is done it will be more solid bottom than fabric.

We will see :) ! .crt.

gia

May 28, 2011
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Thank you for the info. I made a purchase at the local Costco and it was a fabric bottom unit but I hope to add a 12V deep cycle battery by reversing the forks for the baby wheel to point backwards and I will attach the battery case to that.
My goal is to have Laptop power for the evening camping. Also looking at small generators as well.
So it will be a project soon I hope.
Perhaps when all is done it will be more solid bottom than fabric.

We will see :) ! .crt.
Oh boy, keep me updated on how that works out!

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Oh boy, keep me updated on how that works out!
I'll try. It's on the to do.

Perhaps I need to look over this site and see if this type of project has been done or start a thread on it.

It's true that I don't think about the cart when i am riding.

Groceries are a breeze! Beats the back pack or duffel bag on the back for sure.

Okay then. I'll be sure to post about it. The same friend that assembled this bike also will allow me access to his workshop so all the tools needed are there.