Blue smoke??

GoldenMotor.com

Rnalecz

Jul 19, 2008
I have a 80cc engine i bought from ebay. I finally got it on my bike and im still breaking it in, so far like 90miles on it. When i let it sit and idle for a little bit blue smoke(not to possitive its not complete blue) appears all over the place. Is there something wrong or is it that the engine is kinda starting to break in??

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
What mix ratio are you running at? You will see a little smoke with non-synthetic, sometimes a little with synthetic.

Especially sitting still with no air movement.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Blue smoke is generally oil burning. If you're running the kit-recommended 16:1 ratio with non-synthetic oil, that's probably what it is.

I run 32:1 with synthetic oil and the only time I have seen smoke is when i had the choke on a bit too much (the motor stalled shortly after seeing the smoke). Other than that, no smoke ever.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Don't worry about the smoke... just mix your gas correctly.
Don't let your engine sit & idle for too long... they need air flowing past them to stay cool.

Rnalecz

Jul 19, 2008
Oh ok, I thought that blue smoke ment that oil is not burning right. Im using synthetic caster 927 racing oil. Runing at a 16:1 ratio, going to try a bigger ratio. Does it mean my motor is breaking in? I dont even know how i tell if the motor is broken in?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you will know when its broke in as the bike will start to perform.
The blue smoke won't hurt. My stock exhaust engines will smoke a little at start up and if I idle it very long its just oil gathering in the muffler so the muffler won't rust inside:D. My bikes with the custom exhausts will smoke even more until the exhaust pipe get good and warm or if they idle for a while.
Heck think of the smoke a mosquito repellent.rotfl

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Well there is always the "Magic Blue Smoke" to consider besides that piano :)

Um I run Lucas semi synthetic and at 16 to one it is oily at every point it can be after a gallon of break in.
Went to 24 to 1 yesterday so I will run that mix a while and then move on to a thinner oil mix.

Smoke? yeah at times I see some when I stop for a light with such a heavy mix.

It's a RAW by the way and seems to run well. It handles 30 mph with me 260 pounds and a backpack with tools very well.
I too have about that many miles on a new motor but about 900 miles on the bike since this is the second engine.