pulled the string

GoldenMotor.com

shoundog

Mar 11, 2010
Huntersville, NC
Well I am new here but have been lurking for a few weeks. I got interested in this hobby if you like to call it that after seening a few bikes while down in Key West a few weeks ago. Kind of brought back memories of my younger days. I just pulled the string on buying a Grubbe 48cc from one of the vendors here for a project. I am not sure what way I am going to go just yet with this. I have a Giant Cypress that has been hanging in the garage for two years so I am leaning that way for now but I sure like the Crusers to. Have checked out alot of the bikes on here and the Point Beach and Del Mar catch my eye. One question for now since I have not started my project that might make me change directions is how hard is it to get the HB grips off of a bike like the Giant and do the shifting grips have to come off to in order to put the clutch leaver and throtle grip on?
Doug

shoundog

Mar 11, 2010
Huntersville, NC
Thanks Nougat, this is a 21 speed so there is a shifter on both sides and it apears to me that the grips are a part of the shifters. I'll have to get my glasses on and a good flash light to take a close look at them (hate getting old) if I decide on using this bike.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
On the bikes I have built that have multiple gears I remove the front derailer and place the chain on the center sproket (on the front). If the bike has twist grip shifters I move the rear derailer shifter to the left side and cut down the kits grip to meet up with it. Takes a little getting used to, but not long. Trying to shift on the throttle side is a real hassle to me no matter what kind of shift mechanism I've tried. An easy way to remove most grips is if you have an air compressor with an air nozzle just shoot air in the grip and it will come off very easily.
Not seeing the grips you have cant say for sure but they should be two seperate pieces. The shifter itself and a short grip that butts right up to it making it look like one piece.

Last edited:

shoundog

Mar 11, 2010
Huntersville, NC
Thanks BNG, I went out in the garage last night and started playing around with the grips and got them to come off like Nougat said. Looks like ther is an allen screw that will let me move the shifters inboard some. Still not sure I will use this bike for the kit so i have been surching CL for a day or so for the right one may just go to Wal-Mart and get a Cranbrook for $86.00 for this first build. My only worry there is the coaster brake getting in the way like some have posted here.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I just finished building my second Cranbrook. They have a great frame for the engines and really the the only thing on the bike I had to modify was the coaster brake arm (bend to clear sproket bolts) and cut a notch in the fender for chain clearance. I'm 6' and most all cruisers are way to cramped for me, on my cruiser I cut and welded the seat post tube so the seat is as low as I can get it and puts the nose of seat at the front of the seat post tube so its a ways back too. Very comfortable this way. I have not seen a seat post that does this so had to make one. I did have to weld in an extra support bolted to the brake cross bar after my 225lb son went off a curb with it and the weld started to crack!

Attachments

Last edited:

shoundog

Mar 11, 2010
Huntersville, NC
BNG that bike looks good. I like the Cranbrook and ther pretty cheep at Wal-Mart here. Cougl you e-mail me a few pict of the brake arm mod? I would like to see how you did that. isa it much of a bend to get past the bolt heads. I see the notch in the fender that looks clean. [email protected]