Information overload... please help.

GoldenMotor.com

ChaosinAZ

Oct 29, 2016
Arizona
Hey Guys,

I got a bit overwhelmed trying to find the answers I needed so I thought I would make things easier on my PTSD scatter brain so please be patient.

This will be my first build so please keep things in English because I am a newbie when it comes to small engines. My therapist and a friend suggested I try this after showing some interest so I hope this becomes a hobby for me. Now for some details. I have around $150 give or take for the engine/parts alone.

I have 2 bicycles I can work. The first is a vintage Diamondback Apex. I have a pic of a frame from one below.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...back+apex.TRS0&_nkw=diamondback+apex&_sacat=0

This next bike is one I would really love to get a motor on but the tubing on the front is more of a oval shape instead of being perfectly round. Is this a huge issue for a first time builder?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/29-in-Mongo...381468?hash=item1c6220805c:g:XmAAAOSwKtVWzyrR

(Sorry, couldn't get the regular links to show)

Since all of us are different and there are a lot of different motors/builds I will throw in some details.

I live in Prescott, AZ so I am around 1 mile in elevation (I have read you can play around with a build for higher elevations)

I weigh 220 Solid

We do have some hills here but nothing major in the areas I will be going.

I would rather have a Bulldog than a Greyhound that can't make it up hill.

I have to have instructions, of course. I have more questions but I will start out small so I can take it all in. I am disabled and have all the time I need to learn from the pros (you guys). Any help is very welcome and I thank you ahead of time.

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
Hi, welcome.. this must be a fun hobbie cause here I am back to it after leaving it years ago. Either of those bikes would not be a problem to mount a kit motor. Even the odd shaped tube in no problem. I one time used a piece of a skill saw blade going across the motor mount and a u bolt to hold the motor on. So instead of having just one u bolt to help mount it i had two. I'd order a kit, make sure it has 415 chain not 420, because its more forgiving to alignment.

My advice, just get a bike and kit and start building. Dont over plan the bike, you can always change stuff later. Dont forget to have fun, and if you have any questions someone here probably has an answer.

You may want to consider a beach cruiser though. They are easier just make sure they do not have a cheap Chinese coaster brake. Invest in a good hub! I do like the bikes you looking at for the front disc brake, but you may want to remove the disc from the rear to install a drive pulley. You will want a standard rear rim brake then...you know I think I actually like your choice of bike. Nice

Last edited:

ChaosinAZ

Oct 29, 2016
Arizona
I am glad you liked my choices in bikes that kinda helps me on the beginners road to a build. I understand everything you are saying except for the 415 and 420 chain? I have looked at a few kits and i do not seeing anything like that. Any pointers on what this actually is and how i will know when i go to buy a kit? Thanks again guys!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I think Seabass is trying to say that you cannot know the answers to all your questions before you begin assembly. Some things will just need to be worked out as you assemble the motorbike and we will be here to help. Posting pics of the bikes you would like to motorize was a good idea. Thank you for your service to this country.

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
If you look at the venders on this site, look at what is included in the kit and it should specify 415 or 420. 420 looks like regular bike chain. 415 is much wider. Both have same tooth spacing so a kit can come with either.

ChaosinAZ

Oct 29, 2016
Arizona
Ok so i back tracked and got the F50 KIT from http://www.thatsdax.com/index.html I have everything i need including some upgrades like the spark plug etc. My problem seems to be that i cannot find the correct instructions on the site? If someone could possibly glance at it and see if i'm just missing it? TONS of info and instructions on his Titan series. My biggest concern is having to make a custom mounting plate or having to do any extra drilling. I have poured over so much of the awesome knowledge you guys have that i believe i can do this with a little help. As always, Thanks!