The Biggest Engine....

GoldenMotor.com

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
hello,i haven't bought my engine kit yet for my occ stingray,mostly because im trying to size up what im working with.i was going to use the 80 cc kit from bikebarry.com but im also a 250 pound rider and im really needing something that will get me around. does anyone here know of a high output 80 cc or something bigger that will fit in the occ stingray frame? im very sure the frame on this bike will hold under the power and i know there is no replacement for displacement,someone please show me to the path of power,thx!
(c)

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Couple of things.

Think gearing when you talk about rider weight. These are not motorcycles so don't expect too much from any small engine.

What do the moped/motorized bike laws in your state say about engine size?

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
Couple of things.

Think gearing when you talk about rider weight. These are not motorcycles so don't expect too much from any small engine.

What do the moped/motorized bike laws in your state say about engine size?
Illinois laws don't like the anything over 50cc,but that doesn't bother me cause i know the cops aren't gonna waste their time impounding my bike just to find out its displacement, i realize the 80cc isn't stamped '80cc' and its hard to tell the difference between one and a 50cc. ill go as big as i can as long as i can conceal it from the cops and it will fit.i just don't want to buy an engine to find out i blew it up trying to maintain speeds around 30mph so im not getting run over by cars.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
a "80cc" isn't really anywhere near 80cc's most are around 66 to 70 if you want torque at take off then a bigger rear gear will do that. Also think about a jackshaft setup like Sick Bike Parts has and a multi spped rear wheel seup from choppersus.com and you can achieve what your looking for

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
a "80cc" isn't really anywhere near 80cc's most are around 66 to 70 if you want torque at take off then a bigger rear gear will do that. Also think about a jackshaft setup like Sick Bike Parts has and a multi spped rear wheel seup from choppersus.com and you can achieve what your looking for
...but if i use a gear for good take off,then im sacrificing top end? oh,and i would love to run the jack shaft kit from sick bike parts,but this is on a occ stingray and i think the crank is too far to the front to make one work(given the fact i would have to go and find the occ stingray 3 speed rim to make this worth the effort).thats alot of chain to run from the jack shaft to the front crank.kinda make me nervous to think bout if that broke loose on my leg.im not ruling out the idea of a jackshaft/shifter kit,i would love to do that.but right now the cost of it is outside of my pocket book. im having a hard enough time right now trying to find some free apehanger handlebars and some kind of seat post to move my seat back for free.

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
If you want more top speed from a taller gearing, then you will have to pedal more to take off regardless of engine size. That's the great thing about a bicycle. Pedal-Assist along with the engine during takeoff, up to about 10-15mph, then the engine will take over from there.

The "80cc" 2-stroke bike kits have plenty of power for 30mph. Go smaller than the average 44 tooth kit sprocket, and you will be going even faster. I rode with folks in St Pete and ALL the 80cc motors did over 30mph.

Your are only 250lbs, that's not very heavy for a good motor. Even my bro's 80cc 4-stroke 2.5HP motor can haul my bro's 300+lb friend to 30mph, it just takes a little while.

Not really legal, BUT, you could go with a 6.5HP, 196cc 4-stroke Lifan (Honda GX200 Clone Engine) from Harbor Freight Tools if it fits on your bike. Remove all HP and CC stickers. It's a big and heavy engine, so I don't know if it fits your bike. I have one of those engines on my pusher-trailer and it gets me 50mph with ease. However, with my tall gearing for speed, I still pedal to takeoff from a dead stop, to save the life of my centrifugal clutch and to make it easier on the engine. If you had one of these big motors, and geared it to go only 30-35mph, it would have excellent takeoff.

Attachments

Last edited:

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
If you want more top speed from a taller gearing, then you will have to pedal more to take off regardless of engine size. That's the great thing about a bicycle. Pedal-Assist along with the engine during takeoff, up to about 10-15mph, then the engine will take over from there.

The "80cc" 2-stroke bike kits have plenty of power for 30mph. Go smaller than the average 44 tooth kit sprocket, and you will be going even faster. I rode with folks in St Pete and ALL the 80cc motors did over 30mph.

Your are only 250lbs, that's not very heavy for a good motor. Even my bro's 80cc 4-stroke 2.5HP motor can haul my bro's 300+lb friend to 30mph, it just takes a little while.

Not really legal, BUT, you could go with a 6.5HP, 196cc 4-stroke Lifan (Honda GX200 Clone Engine) from Harbor Freight Tools if it fits on your bike. Remove all HP and CC stickers. It's a big and heavy engine, so I don't know if it fits your bike. I have one of those engines on my pusher-trailer and it gets me 50mph with ease. However, with my tall gearing for speed, I still pedal to takeoff from a dead stop, to save the life of my centrifugal clutch and to make it easier on the engine. If you had one of these big motors, and geared it to go only 30-35mph, it would have excellent takeoff.
i just checked harbor freight,they have the engine you mentioning for 160 dollars,to me thats a steal for a 4 cycle from what ive seen everywhere else. but im looking at it and i think the pull start is in the way of the chain.looks like id have to make a motor mount to bring the whole engine out of the frame some and then use a jackshaft to get the gears to line up.damn shame on those centrifugal clutches, i know how they burn thru shoes on mini bikes. a sweet set up for that would be like the primary and secondary centrifugal clutch on a snowmobile.in a set up like that,the more rpm's the closer the plates get causing a different gear ratio,so it would be like an auto trans.lol now im off to see whats the smallest one of those i can find or engineer! dance1

edit-- i think im looking at a arctic cat kitty cat engine for reference

Last edited: