Ethanol Conditioners?

GoldenMotor.com

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
Like many folks, I can't get ethanol-free gas here. =( When I was in the shop the other day, I saw some "ethanol conditioner" and it piqued my curiosity.

As far as I know, it's only associated risk with 2-strokes is that it tends to be somewhat more explosive than gas, and can damage the engine if it concentrates in the bottom of the tank after sitting. (Bent pushrods on my dad's John Deere 3 times before we found out it was the ethanol)

I know ethanol has been discussed before, but would something like this prevent some of the problems that ethanol may pose? http://www.amazon.com/Lucas-SAFEGUA...4280&sr=8-4&keywords=ethanol+fuel+conditioner

Last edited:

cmanns

Jul 1, 2012
Santa Cruz, California
I think that's more for cars made before ethanol was everywhere.

Ethanol causes rust and ruins fuel system seals and what not on pre 95 roughly cars.

How much ethanol you guys get :|

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
It also messes up carbs and dries up fuel lines. It leaves gunk in the carb when the fuel dries, making starting a harder thing.

I know this because when you have a boat, Ethenol does the same thing to your carbs and fuel lines. I used to put Sta-bil with my fuel for my boat. It helps if you use whatever you are fueling with Ethenol more ofthen. If you use it for recreation, or once in a while, then Ethenol build up will occur and cause problems. They are using 10-15% Ethenol now. Some vehicles (my Titan) can run on E-85% Ethenol. It's much cheaper, but has less power. So, you get less power/miles per galon. So, it pretty much evens out.

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
Except we burn more gas making ethanol than we replace. It's an inefficient process that wastes food an energy... and ruins small motors. =(

We get 10% eth. Although there is a station almost 30 miles from here that has ethanol free. Might ride over there just for fun sometime, have some friends in that area anyway. =)

Sounds like this stuff solves gunking issues, but I plan on riding my MB regularly. I'll try to get a hold of some ethanol-free gas... it'll last me almost forever anyway =)

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I used to use stabilizer when someone first told me about the harmful effects that ethanol can have on engines. I used it maybe a couple of times, but i stopped worrying about it after awhile. my current engine is over a year old, and there arent any obvious signs of damage. it starts the same and runs the same as the day it was broken in. the kind of damage ethanol might cause would be likely to be the kind you wont ever notice, such as pitting in the carburetor, hardening of the fuel line, and other small changes that take a number of years to progress. its not going to blow up your engine any time soon, and at 10 to 15 percent, gasohol actually burns a few degrees cooler than regular gas. as long as your gas isnt sitting in your tank unused for a month or two, its not going to do any serious damage.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
also, some of the detergents they add to oil dont mix well with the stabilizer, and that can cause problems such as pre-detonation and even premature ignition.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Butterbean is %100 CORRECT..

The effects aren't really bad on the engine. They're bad if they sit, and they harden the fuel line. Plus they would gunk up the carb if it sits too long, they'd evapurate and leave some stuff behind..

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I hope I don't sound rude(I know this thread is over a year old), but I'd like to leave my 2 cents

In my experience of running my bike on pure ethanol, I can say that most of the claims about ethanol causing engine damage are false. First of all, most of the parts in these engines are made of chinese pot metal which is mostly aluminum; the only exception is the crank. Even then, the key to rust is the water that ethanol absorbs. A little ethanol in your gas isn't going to draw in enough water to cause rust at a rate any noticeably faster than without ethanol. I ran my engine on old ethanol that sat around for months and months and I never encountered any kind of rust.

The only part that saw damage was the fuel line, but the stock fuel line is pure crap. Just replace it with quality fuel line from an auto parts store. I can't speak for the other carbs, but the NT carb holds up just fine. It contains no steel parts(so no rusting), and the float is made of nylon which isn't effected by ethanol. The crank seals also held up fine.

Ethanol can wreck pre 1980s cars and equipment, but these happy time engines are so bare-minimum that there isn't all that much to go wrong in terms of using alternative fuels.

That being said, I've seen big cans of pure ethanol-free gasoline sold at hardware stores such as Lowe's and Orchard Supply Hardware. And it wasn't that expensive from what I remember.