what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Being the diamondback drifter can be had for $150- 300 depending on if singlespeed coaster brake or 7speed Vbrakes. I dought it uses the same level of parts as a $500 and up bicycles

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Thanks, Aleman. I have seen some derailer hangers before, that mimicked the type I linked to, in attachment, but were threaded for the derailers with their own anchor bolts. The one you posted looks like a really nice piece of work, but works only for QR axles, not threaded, solid axles. I will remember that part though. Very nice.

Yes, the ones with the married hangers are usually used on the lowest end bikes, but some people who like loaded touring, or off road riding like them, for very low replacement cost of an expendable part that still works quite well. I've got a Tourney rd. on a road bike, and works just as well as some of Shimano's finer offerings.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

JMO, I think you're in for a disappointing ride with those gears. You will definitely know this when you're stopped at the bottom of a steep ramp or hill, and try to climb it.

Ask me how I know this.

With a 3-ish hp 10,000rpm engine, you'll be making less than 2hp @ 6,000rpm.

If your engine has 10,000rpm capabilities, you'll be shifting @ 10,000rpm, not 6,000rpm. No one shifts 4,000rpm short of the redline.

My 2.8HP Tanaka 47R engine is rated @ 7,000rpm redline. With the pipe, I'm shifting @ 8,000rpm or a little less. If I'm putting around, I shift @ 5500rpm.

Here's how your gearing works @ high rpm.

First gear.....22.9mph @ 8,000rpm.....28.6mph @ 10,000rpm.
Second gear.....32.5mph @ 8,000rpm.....40.6mph @ 10,000rpm.
Third gear.....35.4mph @ 8,000rpm.....44.3mph @ 10,000rpm.
Fourth gear.....38.9mph @ 8,000rpm.....48.7mph @ 10,000rpm.
Fifth gear...43.3mph @ 8,000rpm.....54.1mph @ 10,000rpm.
Sixth gear.....48.7mph @ 8,000rpm.....60.9mph @ 10,000rpm.
Seventh gear.....55.6mph @ 8,000rpm.....69.5mph @ 10,000rpm.

You will run out of road in second gear.

In comparison, here's my gearing @ 7,000rpm redline and 8,000rpm:

First gear.....12.1mph @ 7,000rpm.....13.9mph @ 8,000rpm.
Second gear.....15.9mph.....18.1mph @ 8,000rpm.
Third gear.....17.9mph.....20.5 @ 8,000rpm.
Fourth gear.....20.6mph.....23.6mph @ 8,000rpm.
Fifth gear.....24.3mph.....27.7mph @ 8,000rpm.
Sixth gear.....27.5mph.....31.4mph @ 8,000rpm.
Seventh gear.....31.7mph.....36.2mph @ 8,000rpm.
Eighth gear.....37.5mph.....42.8mph @ 8,000rpm.

Hmm, good point. I'll see how it handles, right now the first reduction is 6t to 40t, i can always get a bigger gear from mcmaster.com i think they have it up to 70t or something crazy. Like that.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Hmm, good point. I'll see how it handles, right now the first reduction is 6t to 40t, i can always get a bigger gear from mcmaster.com i think they have it up to 70t or something crazy. Like that.
Your sprocket combination is almost perfect.

All you need to do is replace the 40t right-side chainring sprocket with a 24t from SBP.

That one sprocket change will change your bike into an mb with dirt-bike throttle response.xct2

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Ibedayank, The Aleman and happycheapskate.....

THANK YOU!

The bike looks ALMOST exactly like Ibedayank's pic, except there are cable guides under the length of the down tube.

I am glad that there is an adaptor available to hang a good-quality 7-speed derailleur. I'll definitely get that piece!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

...what was THAT???
Skaard... u lunched ANOTHER motor???
Wha happened???

...derailers... I got a bunch of em... non-descript, probably NOT best quality.
if anybody wants one, PM me and I'll mail it for the shipping cost.
...suppose I should take pics of the parts I got way plenty of that I will never use...
rc

Spaz_Static

Jul 24, 2011
North Carolina, USA

Today I...

Cut an old inner tube into a 6 inch sheath to put on my cross bar under my fuel tank. I've been having problems with the vibrations making my tank rotate around the tube, and if I'm not paying attention, it rotates far enough that it pulls my fuel line off the petcock. Rubber applied for more grip, rode probably 20 miles after the fix, no rotation whatsoever.

I also picked up a spring and some picture hanging wire from ACE hardware to make using my choke easier. It's kind of a hack job at the moment, but it gets the job done. Spring pulls the choke lever back down, wire with a tab lets me pull it up. This makes it so that I can easily apply choke and remove it from the engine without having to bend over, fish around, and try and flip the choke while riding. One hand on the throttle, one hand on the choke, pedaling, and having the engine start kicking up always felt crazy and like I was about to lose control and crash. This fixed it, even though it's a quick-fix.

Noticed my spark plug wire was coming off of the plug. When I went to push it back on, it didn't budge. I took it off to see what was the matter, and pieces fell out. Managed to get it all back on, but I'm wanting to replace the cable. Went by a car shop and asked if they had any spark plug wires laying around I could have, the guy reached in a tool box and handed me one, just like that. Right now, I've got the spring out, and it seems to be running fine, but I'd like a more firm connection since it seems to not have anything but gravity holding it on anymore.

Attachments

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

...what was THAT???
Skaard... u lunched ANOTHER motor???
Wha happened???

...derailers... I got a bunch of em... non-descript, probably NOT best quality.
if anybody wants one, PM me and I'll mail it for the shipping cost.
...suppose I should take pics of the parts I got way plenty of that I will never use...
rc
lol, these china girls do NOT like me one bit! :p

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Use any "modern" derailleur (like this type)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EgDS3tl-L._AA300_.jpg

on any bike with long dropouts (like we were discussing)

$10
http://www.yourprosolutions.com/images/thumbnails/551a82a5da4040aaafc8543f878ff997_168x126.jpg

http://www.yourprosolutions.com/pro...-1259?osCsid=2b35fe0687ca7681ccc0e48b1e234abc

Really, though, you can craft one from a piece of aluminum or thin steel flat stock. I made one of aluminum before, and the bolt on the derailer was hard enough to cut threads in it. It worked fine but flexed a little when cross chaining heavily on a 20" bike.

Ebike stop is good company, they have the fancy "emergency hanger" $13. I've bought from them before, fast shipping.
http://www.ebikestop.com/problem_solvers_universal_derailleur_hanger-FS0920.php

Here's another emergency hanger that gives some adjustment $15
http://derailleurhanger.com/dh199.php

Ibedayank, The Aleman and happycheapskate.....

THANK YOU!

The bike looks ALMOST exactly like Ibedayank's pic, except there are cable guides under the length of the down tube.

I am glad that there is an adaptor available to hang a good-quality 7-speed derailleur. I'll definitely get that piece!

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ

Put a 56 tooth on my ktm replica top speed is only 75km/hr now but the acceleration from 40km/hr onwards is wicked any little bumps in the rd and the front wheel lifts for a bit just in normal riding stance very happy with the shorter gearing .wee.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I'm trying my hand and cutting carb gasket today. Got a huge sheet of Felpro for a few bucks, so will have plenty for future happytime gaskets, probably easier to cut too.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

got a 6t clutch bell in for the CAG motor.

just waiting on parts from SBP to come in then i should be ready to start putting the motor on

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

.wee. The Fel-Pro Kerro-Pak gasket material was ok. It looks durable, but it is hard to cut with razors. It is a paper like substance, not like the hard rubbery type gaskets on many small engines, but better than the cheap happytime corks.

The Tanaka33 fired right up with my boost bottle, idled a little high, but maybe because of the cold weather. When I pinched the hose, it settled down. It was just high enough to grab the clutch some, but it was SMOOOOOTH, and it hauled the bike hard from 5mph to 25mph, didn't get to do over that but it felt like it had some more. It usually does about 28 with this roller, maybe 30 with no wind, with gusto at 20-25mph. Throttle response was instant, rolling it on and letting off. dance1

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas

Put on new front tire and tube. Maybe I'll do the rear tomorrow.
Ordered a new CG magneto form BGF.

Bought a 4 stroke friction drive kit. (I'm getting frustrated with the CG 2 stroke, and I need something somewhat reliable.)

Eventually, I'll be able to ride!

:-||

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

Went to the ACE hardware store and special ordered the chain I need.
How can I make 5 days get here faster? :D

Also fiddled around with a soon to be taillight and contemplated a different sort of battery holder.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO

i learned how much my carb hates me today spent two hours takeing it off cleaning it putting it back on i swear it actualy runs worse .xx.now then before i fixed it .

got a buddy close by whos gona take a look bet it just wants someone else to look at it is all .

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

If you meant mine, I don't think so but I will double check with a squirt bottle tomorrow before taking it on a ride.

Did you mean the guy with "carb that runs worse after cleaning"?
Could be a lot of things, even the jet unscrewing, probably not seated on the intake the same way. Don't forget the junction washer (rubber o-ring). It helped mine so much.

Got a new air leak perhaps?