Should it idle?

GoldenMotor.com

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
BGF 2-stroke kit

It runs and drives fine, what am asking is "Should the motor die instantly when I disengage the clutch? Or should it keep running until I hit the kill switch?"

It cranks right up and runs like a top when I drop the clutch....but if I clutch in to come to a stop the motor dies the instant the clutch handle is squeezed and the clutch disengages.

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
so it SHOULD remain idling when I disengage the clutch? for instance, if I start it up, lock the clutch lever into the disengaged position, and park it using the kickstand and walk away...it should stay running?

right now it dies the second you squeeze the clutch lever in.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yup, it should idle with the clutch pulled in.

If the idle screw is set wrong it will die, just like you have now.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Still don't know which carburetor you have but it should have an idle speed adjustment. Typically you screw the idle speed adjustment in to increase idle speed and out to decrease it. In being turned clockwise and out is counter clockwise.
Tom

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
I always just leave the choke off. I know you're supposed to use it to help get the bike started...but when it's on I seem to have a harder time getting it started so I don't bother with it. I leave it in the "down" position.

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
idles fine now.

as it turns out the idle screw was pretty much all the way out from the factory. I had to tighten it 10 turns and now it idles. thanks guys.