Newbie Question: Please Don't Laugh

GoldenMotor.com

Mjkx8

Jun 22, 2011
United States
Hey, so I got everything put on my bike except for hooking up the fuel line. I have a Grubee Skyhawk kit. I just don't understand how or where the tank hooks up to the carb. They say to get a 4.8mm fuel line but the hole on bottom of the tank is way bigger than a 4.8mm tube could satisfy.. PLEASE HELP!! Any input, greatly appreciated.

pLease dOn't Laugh.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Ha!:D
Seriously though, Do you only have a hole on the bottom of the tank? Did your kit not come with a fuel valve? The fuel hose is supposed to slip over the hose barb on the bottom of the valve. Also, throw away the horrible kit supplied fuel hose and get a quality one from a lawn mower shop or the lawn care section at a home improvement store. Just be darned sure that it is made for use with gasoline. The cheap clear vinyl tubing that they sell on rolls is NOT for use with gasoline!

Also get yourself an in line fuel filter and remove the screen from the fuel valve before threading it into the fuel tank.

Mjkx8

Jun 22, 2011
United States
Yeah I was just about to say I figured it out. My dumbass forgot about the petcock. Now for the the valve, or petcock, why should I take off the screen attached to it? And also I can see this fuel hose is a complete P.O.S. Could you maybe send me a link or a brand name/model of the fuel hose that you would put on? Thank you.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
The hole on the bottom of the tank is for the petcock to screw into. It's your little fuel shut-off valve. They're often aluminum or sometimes brass. One end is threaded with the same pitch of threads as the outlet on your tank. You should also be provided with a little red fuel-proof washer that goes on between the petcock and the outlet. It's a good idea to use that, but if it doesn't work so great use teflon plumber's sealing tape.
The other end of the petcock should be just the right size for a 4.8mm fuel line. I would also find an inline fuel filter to put in there between tank and carb somewhere.

UPDATE: I see, in the time it took me to write that, ya'all figured it out. Cool beans.

Last edited:

Scootershack

Jun 21, 2011
North Dakota
ok well ihave a problem with mine. the fuel line fits way tight on the petcock but it is way to loose on my nt carb and leaks the whole line and filter out overnight. idk what to do next icant downsize anymore because my filter i cant even pull the line off so i cant go smaller and a hose clamp cant fit between the fuel intake and the carb.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
You can go to a auto parts store and buy a inline filter that has two sizes of hose fittings, a-lot of farm equipment use them.I saw one the other day at auto-zone.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I get a small roll of thin steel wire that i got for a couple of bucks at a hardware store. i clip off a piece of wire and tightly wrap that around the hose where it connects on the carb and keeps any fuel from leaking out. I use need nose pliers to twist the wire just like you would on a garbage bag but this wire i use is thicker.