springer help

GoldenMotor.com

Smokey1981

Jul 9, 2010
kansas city
ok i need a little help, im putting together a cruiser and i ordered an E-bay imitation schwinn springer and a generic criuser frame, i got the correct bearings for the frame/fork, But the problem i have is either the stem on the fork is about an inch too long or the neck on the frame is an inch too short. My guess is that the issue is with the frame being too short. i cant tighten the top nut down any further. can i just put a spcer on the stem between the bearing plate and the spring mount?????

If i were to tighten down the nut on the neck it would bind up the springer really bad

any suggestions???????

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Many of those generic springers are made to fit both men's and women's bikes. The women's bike will have a longer head tube. I ran into the same thing you did, and I made a spacer. Shortening the steering tube was not an option as the top bracket for the spring would not reach the top of the head tube. I made my spacer using schedule 80pvc and it has been working fine now for two years. Here's a pic of my bike showing the spacer in place.

Attachments

Smokey1981

Jul 9, 2010
kansas city
I decided to cut the excess off of the forks stem and rebend the bracket that mounts the spring to the stem it should work out just fine ill post up pix after its sorted. im also machining a pair of plates to kick the the front wheel out a litttle bit more

sorry for the double post I was having issues with my computer locking up and forgot where I posted it up