break in!

GoldenMotor.com

xzackx

Jun 30, 2010
morgan county, OH
I was wondering as more and more miles are getting on my bike engine should i be goin faster and faster ? or will it break in at 12 Mph all the time? im pretty sure it will make a ring where my piston is going slow as it is and if i let it run 100+ miles there will be a ring and if i go faster then it will knock. just wondering ? how fast i should be going atm im goin about 14-15 mph at 27miles on it not sure what to do here?

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
I would run 1/2 to 3/4 throttle for the first tank of gas. Then run 3/4 throttle most of the time with a full throttle thrown in on each ride for a few seconds for the next tank. After that you should break it in the way you plan to ride it.

Yes, you will feel more power/speed as your engine breaks in. The compression will increase as the rings "seat".

That's my $.02. I'm sure you'll hear 1000 opinions on how to break them in. This method has worked for me.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I ride all my bikes normally right from the start! Just make sure the engine is fully warmed up before going full throttle, & use 24:1 for the first 2 gallons.

(There's no need to baby them!) ;)

xzackx

Jun 30, 2010
morgan county, OH
so you dont think since ive put the 20 miles on it i cant go fast now ? so next time i ride it i should be able to go about full throttle with out hurting it?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
so you dont think since ive put the 20 miles on it i cant go fast now ? so next time i ride it i should be able to go about full throttle with out hurting it?
Follow Venice's advice. There's no need to baby these things. They'll break in just fine if you ride it like normal. Don't go crazy and hold wide open throttle, WOT, continously but don't treat it like its made of glass either. Disregard the recommended 16:1 oil mix, start at 24:1 and move down from there after a couple of gallons to 32:1. You'll be fine. Let us know how its doing.
Tom

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
I was wondering as more and more miles are getting on my bike engine should i be goin faster and faster ? or will it break in at 12 Mph all the time? im pretty sure it will make a ring where my piston is going slow as it is and if i let it run 100+ miles there will be a ring and if i go faster then it will knock. just wondering ? how fast i should be going atm im goin about 14-15 mph at 27miles on it not sure what to do here?
It's very hard to understand what you're asking.
If you've done 27 miles already, you're fine to go wide open throttle.
Mix the fuel/oil at a 40:1 ratio and let 'er rip.
Use a quality oil though.

junked

May 2, 2010
Mass.
I am breaking one in now. I am running 32:1 and riding it as if it was a year old. I want the rings to seat properly, so i am running it at the normal oil fuel ratio, and all is well.